What is one permanent change you've made to create a life-long calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Prayforya wrote: »
    What is one permanent change you've made to create a life-long calorie deficit?

I have never made a permanent change to create a life-long calorie deficit, nor do I ever intend to do such a thing! I have no interest in starving myself to death.

In fact, I haven't really been in a calorie deficit since Christmas 2015. I'm maintaining. :)

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Went low carb.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on losing weight, so what I am doing now (counting calories) will be modified when I reach my goal. But this is what I am thinking about: a modified ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting. No potatoes, rice, flour, sugar containing products. Three servings of fruit and ten servings of vegetables a day. High fat, moderate protein, low carb. Continuing to exercise daily.....but possibly 45 minutes daily instead of 90. Nothing to eat between supper at 1930 and lunch at 1200.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    A lifelong calorie deficit would eventually result in death.

I was thinking the same thing. Although I guess it's easier to make a life-long change if you keep life shorter...

Now in the spirit of what I'm sure the OP *meant*, the one and only change that really matters (to me, at least) is being mindful about how many calories you are consuming. There's no magic bullet out there. No "if you give this up you'll lose weight" solution. I could easily give up 6 things I love and still never lose another pound. Probably even gain. Or, I can keep eating the things I love and keep losing just by counting the calories and acting accordingly. That's really the only change I've made.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Given up mindless eating/drinking.
    Previously, I would eat and drink way too much just out of habit. Late night snacks, 1 or 2 or 3 glasses of wine, second helpings, etc.
    Now I am learning to pay attention to what I am eating but also to pay attention to whether I really am hungry or just eating out of habit. Hoping that is a change that I can continue while losing and then while maintaining.
  • Prayforya
    Prayforya Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those who responded to the "spirit" of my question lol I've made some permanent food choice changes that I don't even think about any more and was just wondering what other "swaps" people have made. I think I've picked up a few more. Thanks for the feedback!
  • canihazcarbs
    canihazcarbs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Drinking coffee black. Eating a lot more vegetables than I used to & eating more protein to satiate my hunger.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I only had a deficit for about 9 months...but I've made a lot of changes

- I eat a lot of veg and some fruit
    - I eat more whole grains, legumes, lentils, and whole food starches
    - I eat more fish and lean protein in general
    - I eat more healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts, good cooking oils, etc
    - I don't eat out all that much...usually about 1-2x per week
    - I'm more generally active
    - I exercise 6x per week generally.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Almost completely dropped grains and refined grains.

Went low carb high fat (LCHF) - it really reduces my appetite and makes weight control much simpler for me.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Making low-glycemic foods the mainstay of my menu.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I basically just eat at home more and cut the snacks back by 75%.

Used to go through a family-sized back of chips like a competitive eater, but now I'll just have a few servings every so often, which I have room for now that my diet isn't all burgers and tacos.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Counting calories. I continue to count now that I'm trying a clean bulk and it keeps me focused. I hope I'll be able to do it forever if need be. I've made changes to my approach to food in placing mental value on calories. For example, I love bread, but for me, the calories in a couple of slices of bread just aren't worth it, given what else I could eat in it's place that would be just as many calories but much more satisfying and filling. Through counting calories and listening to my body I've also discovered how many calories it takes to keep me satisfied from morning to night. I could eat 1000 calories for breakfast but 400-500 easily keeps me satisfied from 8 am until 1 or 2 pm if need be. Lunch can be lighter, weighing in at 300-400 if need be but it often goes to 500 or more now. I'm quite content with 600-800 for dinner and that leaves me with several hundred to play with and even more on workout days. I never thought I'd ever have that kind of discipline when it comes to food but I do now, thanks to calorie counting.
  • msr8898
    msr8898 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cut out the soda and fast food entirely, rarely go out to eat (once a month? maybe?), I don't have much of a sweet tooth to begin with, so I just stopped with what sweets I was having too. The veg, legumes and whole grains I replaced all the other stuff with keeps me really well satiated throughout the day too, which helps cut out any residual pull towards those calorie rich/nutrient poor foods I used to have
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not ordering soda! I didn't really drink it at home, but when I went out to eat, I would usually get a coke. Now I only order water (if I want a drink of soda I steal a sip from my husband).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    For maintenance I'm continuing to eat low carb/high fat/adequate protein. That may or may not keep calories lower, but I do find at higher carb levels I tend to feel hungry all the time and have stronger cravings for sweets/carby foods, so it makes it easier for me to eat a reasonable amount of food. I do have sweets/desserts regularly but it's things like a square of good dark chocolate; carb smart chocolate ice cream with PB and sugar-free caramel syrup, etc. I discovered that sugary foods tend to trigger my reflux and grains seem to trigger my joint pain so that provides added motivation for me to eat LCHF.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1. Eating more veggies, fruit, nuts, and lean protein while decreasing refined carbs. I still eat refined carbs but I consider them treats.
    2. Finding an way to consistently make it to the gym 3 times every week.
  • difamous
    difamous Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating out for lunch except when required by a lunch meeting. I also eliminated fast food all together, this came after a research paper on the food industry. I lost weight from eliminating fast food and it encouraged me to do more. The double win is the money I save, which has been substantial. Wasted money that resulted on my waistline.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Paleo / keto (15% sugar / carbs; 45% protein; 40% fat) and between 1500-1400 calories.