Ah. I get it now.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    This might not end well.....

Pretty much.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not really asking if meat is good or bad for you, I just needed a catchy title. I am really hoping to have an intelligent conversation here.

You lured me here under false pretenses?? You get no intelligent conversation! MEAT GOOD OMNOMNOMNOM
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Inuit people lived on a diet of animals, most of which were fatty sea mammals. They had no heart disease, cancer, diabetes, tooth decay, bone deformity, depression, etc etc etc until they started eating grain and sugar and living a sedentary life. There are many other aboriginals around the world who show the same pattern. The observers of this have included scientists and doctors. Why is the knowledge ridiculed as "anecdotal" because the research wasn't done in a lab (since when does a lab come close to imitating real life?) or sponsored by the food/pharma industry? I don't know. (Actually I do know; follow the money.)

And yes, aboriginal people often died young but it was NOT due to an inferior diet.

Nevermind the above... I changed to a diet based on animals last summer and ALL of my many, many health problems are vanishing (many were resolved immediately, but obesity and metabolic syndrome takes longer to heal). So that evidence is good enough for me to keep eating animals. Of course with preference for wild animals and/or those that have been raised and slaughtered ethically.

Edit: for an unfinished sentence!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Meat is for eating. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A recent study found a link between carnitine (which is abundant in red meat) and gut microbes in the digestive systems of meat eaters, and heart disease. I don't think the way the meat was raised was factored into the study.

I eat red meat all the time and am unlikely to stop since the husband and family love it, but this is the most recent research. This wouldn't apply to poultry and seafood.

http://nih.gov/researchmatters/april2013/04222013meat.htm

L-carnitine is actually good for the heart, not bad.

http://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/l-carnitine-significantly-improves-patient-outcomes-following-heart-attack

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Mayo-Clinic-review-links-L-Carnitine-to-multiple-heart-health-benefits
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Clean meat is perfectly healthy for most people.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Meat gives 100 health! Now excuse me, Red Wizard is hungry!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Inuit people lived on a diet of animals, most of which were fatty sea mammals. They had no heart disease, cancer, diabetes, tooth decay, bone deformity, depression, etc etc etc until they started eating grain and sugar and living a sedentary life. There are many other aboriginals around the world who show the same pattern. The observers of this have included scientists and doctors. Why is the knowledge ridiculed as "anecdotal" because the research wasn't done in a lab (since when does a lab or sponsored by the food/pharma industry? I don't know. (Actually I do know; follow the money.)

And yes, aboriginal people often died young but it was NOT due to an inferior diet.

Nevermind the above... I changed to a diet based on animals last summer and ALL of my many, many health problems are vanishing (many were resolved immediately, but obesity and metabolic syndrome takes longer to heal). So that evidence is good enough for me to keep eating animals. Of course with preference for wild animals and/or those that have been raised and slaughtered ethically.

I had the opposite experience after experimenting with primal eating-developed digestive issues and horrible bad breath (to the point where people started commenting-sooo embarising!) and I started feeling run down/icky. After three months I had to listen to my body and go in a different direction. As I was in the midst of this my mil was finishing up cancer treatment and her oncologist put her on a diet of minimal meal/processed foods. My sil was also working with a chiropractor/nutrtionist for several health issues and he's now got her on a minimal meat/very minimal processed foods diet. The three of us were on different journeys, but have ended up in same place-focusing on a whole foots, plant based diet. Different things work for different people-to each their own :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you're too lazy to do research I'm not sure what you're asking.

But killing animals for meat is fatal for animals if that helps?
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I heard an interesting theory a few years ago that the human intestine is too long to deal with meat properly. Apparently carnivores (lion for example) have much shorter intestines so what they eat is processed quickly. Whereas with the human intestines being much longer the meat sits around for too long partially rotting and releasing gasses etc while still inside us. So from that aspect it wouldnt matter really how the animal you eat was raised.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    meat
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I heard an interesting theory a few years ago that the human intestine is too long to deal with meat properly. Apparently carnivores (lion for example) have much shorter intestines so what they eat is processed quickly. Whereas with the human intestines being much longer the meat sits around for too long partially rotting and releasing gasses etc while still inside us. So from that aspect it wouldnt matter really how the animal you eat was raised.
    Well, we can't be carnivores then because our intestines are different from a lion's. But we can't be vegetarians, either, because cows have two stomachs and we don't.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Do you think we would be omnivores if this were actually the case?
  • spartania
    spartania Posts: 88
    Options
    meat = winning!
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Do you think we would be omnivores if this were actually the case?

I think we have more similiarities to herbivores than we do to carnivores. And I think when humans started eating meat it would have been a rare treat due to the possible risk of bringing down a wild animal. But humans like meat. And I think humans have always been good at doing things that aren't the best for us (alcohol, drugs, cigarettes), so who knows. I'm vegetarian because of moral reasons, so I've only briefly looked into health reasons. I dont claim to be an expert, but I did find it an interesting theory. The joy of being human is making your own choices, so although I don't personally eat meat I have no issues with people who do.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Inuit people lived on a diet of animals, most of which were fatty sea mammals. They had no heart disease, cancer, diabetes, tooth decay, bone deformity, depression, etc etc etc until they started eating grain and sugar and living a sedentary life. There are many other aboriginals around the world who show the same pattern. The observers of this have included scientists and doctors. Why is the knowledge ridiculed as "anecdotal" because the research wasn't done in a lab (since when does a lab or sponsored by the food/pharma industry? I don't know. (Actually I do know; follow the money.)

I had the opposite experience after experimenting with primal eating-developed digestive issues and horrible bad breath (to the point where people started commenting-sooo embarising!) and I started feeling run down/icky. After three months I had to listen to my body and go in a different direction. As I was in the midst of this my mil was finishing up cancer treatment and her oncologist put her on a diet of minimal meal/processed foods. My sil was also working with a chiropractor/nutrtionist for several health issues and he's now got her on a minimal meat/very minimal processed foods diet. The three of us were on different journeys, but have ended up in same place-focusing on a whole foots, plant based diet. Different things work for different people-to each their own :)

I respect that you have had a different experience. However, there are far more factors affecting health than just whether one eats meat or not. Processed foods are definitely one of those factors.

Oncologists, and others, are hurting many people with their dietary recommendations. "Don't eat meat, eat low fat, but get chemo and radiation". Most of them discourage any kind of natural treatment. Just because many of our conventionally educated doctors and nutritionists are promoting a low fat/minimal meat diet doesn't mean it's good for everyone (or anyone). There are doctors (many who specialize in metabolic disorders) that do NOT promote low fat/minimal meat.

According to my own research and experience, it is clear that we have been lied to, repeatedly and intentionally, about what is a healthy human diet. And I'm ticked off about it. Cheerios and Becel are "heart healthy" but grass fed beef is unhealthy? NOT.

I will agree that we are not all the same and that different people find different ways to be healthy but I also feel it relevant to share my view. I tried just about anything and everything when it comes to diet and health. I thought that I was "healthy" when I was starving myself on a low fat diet, and I destroyed my metabolism by doing it. Vegan; been there, did that too. Not ethical and not healthy for me. So I have a lot of real life experience to base my opinions on.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I enjoy meals both with or without meat. Most beef I have found does not settle well on my stomach (I used to get horrible gallbladder issues ALL OF THE TIME) or is too hard for me to digest, so I tend to eat that way less often or eat less of it. I eat lots of tuna, salmon, shrimp, white fish (cod, mahi mahi, talapia, halibut) or turkey, chicken, and ham mostly when I do have meat. I do love a grilled portabella mushroom burger or beans with rice, etc. The lack of meat (red or otherwise) in my diet mostly is due to budget/cost and making it last longer. Beans/lentils are cheaper for me and last longer in my cupboard. :)
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't have any studies but I do believe that a healthy well balanced diet includes everything. Meat is a wonderful source of protein and iron. And while you can source those entirely from vegetable matter meat is easier and in my opinion tastier. Now for the sake of my sons health we have switched to organic and or grass fed meat. When we move we'll be getting chickens and work on providing our own healthy meat. It's not for everyone but it'll make me feel better about what I'm feeding my own children.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    OK im back with another two cents....

The answers lie in our teeth!!! Its not really that complicated!

Cows= flat teeth thus herbivores

Lions=sharp teeth thus carnivores

Homo-sapiens= Flat teeth/sharp teeth thus omnivores

Food starts out in our mouth, we were created to chew all sorts of food so i think its a very simple thing

Eat everything!!! ... Except people.... and poison.... those are pretty off limits

ok im gone again :wink: