Other people's kids.

Options
crackpotbaby
crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
Do you think it's okay to tell a long term friend that you would prefer to catch up with them without their children?

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    Options
    Neither would I. I think it's perfectly reasonable but my friend seems to think otherwise.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Depends on the age of the kids I think. If it was a baby then fair enough but if say they are school age then they don't need to tag along. I don't take my kids if I can help it because they get voted quickly & you can't have a decent gossip with them around. You'd have to be pretty tactful about it though.
  • Free2LiveAgain
    Free2LiveAgain Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Omg I'd love for a friend to be like... Hey! Girls night.. See if you can find someone to watch the kids! Lol
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    Friend asked to catch up.
    Various ideas were floated.
    Wanted something a little more interesting than a drunken night out.

We decided on climbing a mountain about 3 1/2 hours drive from me, 2 hours from her, 5 hour return hike with steep ascent/decent.

Picked a day thennshe said she will be bringing her (naughty) 7 year old that runs away and doesn't do as he's asked.

I said I would rather not do this climb with young children.

She has taken offence to this.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Friend asked to catch up.
    Various ideas were floated.
    Wanted something a little more interesting than a drunken night out.

We decided on climbing a mountain about 3 1/2 hours drive from me, 2 hours from her, 5 hour return hike with steep ascent/decent.

Picked a day thennshe said she will be bringing her (naughty) 7 year old that runs away and doesn't do as he's asked.

I said I would rather not do this climb with young children.

She has taken offence to this.

is she a single parent?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure, if their kids are evil brats, why not?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes but depending on ages you may have to accept that no kids might mean less frequent catch ups.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it depends on the context. If someone said to me "hey, lets do this thing, it's gonna be cool, but unfortunately it's not kid friendly...." then I'd be ok with it.
    If it was more like "hey lets do this cool thing, but not with your kid cos she's gonna ruin our day..." then I'd take offence.
    When you say you told her you'd rather not do the climb with young children, has she got enough notice to get a sitter or make arrangements for her son? Was it after she possibly told the child he could go with you and now she has to let him down and hurt his feelings? There are possibly other elements here that we don't know about, we only have one side of the story. She might have been looking forward to getting out and doing something cool with her friend and her son and having a really nice day with two of her favorite people. :)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't even think of bringing my kid in this situation. It would make it less fun for me, and my kids behave well. Is there anyway you could meet when the kid is in school?

She might be offend, b/c she knows the kid is bratty, and you aren't the first to avoid her kid.

ETA: Sometimes the delivery can be offensive though. If you said, "I want to hang out with you, but I dont want to hang out with your kid." Offensive.

If you say, "Let's hang out and go rock climbing. I don't think it is a kid-friendly kind of place..." Not offensive.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    We haven't yet set a date as any plan needs to fit with our jobs, my family (two children who would stay home with my partner) and her child.

She is a single parent but the boy's Dad general takes him on weekends and whenever my friend's social life requires it.

If we were going out on the town or to a winery she would get her parents or ex to take the boy.

I don't dislike the child, but I want to hang out with my mate not her son.

• crackpotbaby
    Options
    Who would attempt "climbing a mountain...with steep ascent/descent" with a bratty, undisciplined 7 y/o?? Hope you work things out...

Exactly.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You could try another approach... like 'hey when does your ex have your kid? we should hang out so you're not too bored' or something.

It can be tricky asking someone not to be with her kid when she's divorced and has limited time with them, honestly.

Do your kids get along? I mean, my best friends have kids and we typically see each other with the kids, but sometimes we do drop the kids off with the men and go shopping without them or something.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Your friend probably thinks that being outdoors is a nice fun kid-friendly activity. I would think the same too. If it is not something a child can do, are you sure your friend is really interested into this herself or able to do it?
    I would not want to "waste" an opportunity to do something like this and not take the kids along either. And if my kids could not cope, probably it would be too hard for me too (assuming this is not an baby/preschooler).
    Why not suggest something else for the next time the kid is with his dad? Like a drink, coffee, dancing? Something where kids would not have fun.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Like many posters stated, it depends how you approach it. You have to realize that you might not be able to spend too much time with your friend though. When my kids were little, I had to pass up on lots of fun opportunities to go out. If my kids weren't welcome, then chances are, I was not going. I would NOT get offended though. I just wouldn't go. My friends were more disappointed then I was most of the time. *shrugs*
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have a girlfriend that brings her daughter every time we plan something. I've become accustomed to it but sure wish it could just be adults once in a while. Not planning on drinking or partying just catching up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Steff46 wrote: »
    I have a girlfriend that brings her daughter every time we plan something. I've become accustomed to it but sure wish it could just be adults once in a while. Not planning on drinking or partying just catching up.

So say 'let's have an adults only catch up next time'....