60K cycle with no training???

Options
amc2509
amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
Just realised that there is a cycle tour on this weekend locally with 60, 100 and 160K routes... I've been doing C25K since Feb and can run comfortably for 25 minutes. I've had a few spinning classes lately and I did take an 18K bike ride 2 weeks ago as the weather was nice. I did this comfortably in c.45 minutes.
Would it be crazy to sign up for the 60K without having done specific training? I've never done one of these before, but feel like it would be an achievement to complete it...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    doable, probably...
    going to hurt, probably...
    going to lead to an injury, possibly...
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Of course you are right! Never thought about injury... doing pretty good at the moment so not worth the risk... Think I'll work up to it and maybe do the route myself later in the summer to see how I go! Thx...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Is this an annual event? If yes, you could plan for it for next year, with a few test runs over the summer.

That would give you a pretty awesome goal to work towards :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    doable, probably...
    going to hurt, probably...

This.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    With no training, you're talking about at least 2½ hours in the saddle. It's doable, but you're not going to enjoy it much, particularly the next day or 2!
  • Machka9
    Options
    If you had signed up a 2 or 3 weeks ago, and had time to go for a 30 km ride or two ... you'd probably feel a whole lot more comfortable doing 60 km.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You can probably do it, but you're probably (definitely) also going to learn the definition of "saddle sore" if you don't already know it.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It is doable but without knowing the route I wouldn't do it. My 8 mile bike ride to work is torture with all the hills but my 20 mile fun morning ride is nice and easy without lots of hills so it makes for a nice easy ride.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Saddle sore and stump butt will be your biggest nemesis.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not crazy for someone with some fitness - but think you would most likely be very uncomfortable and fatigued by the end.

If you could break it down into 20k chunks (coffee and cake stops!) with someone on standby to rescue you if you got too sore or plain just not enjoying it then I would say go for it.

Overall I think you would be better, and enjoy it more, if you skip this event and give yourself about 8 weeks to train for the distance. British Heart Foundation website has good training plans for all abilities.

If you like a challenge then give it a go, if you like to sit down comfortably then don't!! ;)

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Not crazy for someone with some fitness - but think you would most likely be very uncomfortable and fatigued by the end.

If you could break it down into 20k chunks (coffee and cake stops!) with someone on standby to rescue you if you got too sore or plain just not enjoying it then I would say go for it.

Overall I think you would be better, and enjoy it more, if you skip this event and give yourself about 8 weeks to train for the distance. British Heart Foundation website has good training plans for all abilities.

If you like a challenge then give it a go, if you like to sit down comfortably then don't!! ;)

Thank you for that hint!
    I'll be starting cycling as soon as I have a bike (I'm getting it next week), and I was wondering how to structure my training. Those plans are perfect for little ol' beginner me :smiley:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is fine to sign up for an event that is a little longer than you've ridden before, but there's a big difference between riding (let's say) 20% farther and riding more than three times as far. Being saddle sore is the thing that would likely make it impossible. The unrelenting leg cramps that follow would be the thing that would make you regret trying. Even though 60k isn't a particularly long ride for those of us who ride a lot, we didn't get there without building up to it.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do it cause I'm crazy, but just plan to go slowly
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. We're signed up for a century in about 10 days and I haven't ridden much at all this year due to relentless rain. I'm reasonably fit from running, but expect to be saddle sore.
  • Machka9
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. We're signed up for a century in about 10 days and I haven't ridden much at all this year due to relentless rain. I'm reasonably fit from running, but expect to be saddle sore.

And sore neck and shoulders, possibly sore back if the route is hilly, possibly sore triceps if the route is windy. But that's the least of your worries.

Unless you've got that bicycle set up correctly the sore knees and ankles could sideline you for a while.

I'd be checking to make sure everything about the bicycle setup is correct at the very least. And get in at least one 50 km ride in the next 10 days.

BTW - this is the Voice of Experience here. I've done a lot of long distance cycling and I am very familiar with all the aches and pains a person can experience.

Even on my recent 300 km event, I had to use my backup bicycle and then at the last minute decided to go with my winter cycling shoes. 140 km into the ride, I needed to raise my saddle a little. My winter cycling shoes have slightly thicker soles and I was getting the tell-tale knee pains of a saddle slightly too low.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

^^This. I did no rides over 70 miles (50-60 was typical long weekend rides) before finishing my first century, 108 mile with 10+k elevation gain. Not having a "ride" back to the car really help with pushing on the last 30 miles. Saddle time is going to be your major concern and I had over 6k miles the previous season under my belt before jumping in.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Only if you crash.

People don't get injured from just riding bikes. That happens with running because running is a very high impact activity. Cycling is a very low impact activity - again as long as you don't crash.

You're likely to wind up a little sore, but that will start to go away as soon as you get off the bike.
  • Machka9
    Options

Only if you crash.

People don't get injured from just riding bikes. That happens with running because running is a very high impact activity. Cycling is a very low impact activity - again as long as you don't crash.

You're likely to wind up a little sore, but that will start to go away as soon as you get off the bike.

You can damage knees and ankles. I've gone through major achilles tendon issues because I had my saddle height wrong on a ride.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It sounds like quite a stretch - something in the 30-35 km range is much more feasible. Based on your 18K average, this is easily a 3+ hour event for you. If you are intent on going forward, I'd recommend investing in a pair of padded bike shorts if you don't have a pair already and make sure someone knowledgeable looks over your bike, including ensuring your seat is at the proper height.

The key to longer distance and endurance activities is to stay within yourself, don't go out too fast. Take regular breaks at each refreshment station or at 45 minute intervals to briefly get off the bike and stretch a bit. Also make sure you are getting enough fluids, especially if it is a warmer or more humid day. It becomes as much a mental challenge as a physical one so set yourself small goals along the way and you will finish. Good luck!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

And sore neck and shoulders, possibly sore back if the route is hilly, possibly sore triceps if the route is windy. But that's the least of your worries.

Unless you've got that bicycle set up correctly the sore knees and ankles could sideline you for a while.

I'd be checking to make sure everything about the bicycle setup is correct at the very least. And get in at least one 50 km ride in the next 10 days.

This might be a bit extreme. It's not like I haven't ridden at all!

While last year, by this time I'd ridden at least four 100Km rides, but wasn't running much at all due to injury. This year, I haven't ridden much more than 50Km (in a single ride), but I'm running 100 km/week so I'm reasonably fit. The bike set up is solid, but that's a good reminder to check in with my fitter before the ride.

I will get out this weekend and get in a few hours.