60K cycle with no training???

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lure you into anything, but there's an important distinction that a lot of people are missing. Running is an impact sport, if you're well conditioned and run a lot, you'll eventually get injured; if you're not well conditioned and start too quickly, you will get injured. You can get repetitive stress injuries from a bike, like has been mentioned, but only from an ill-fitting one. Most people who aren't used to cycling will get sore (bum probably) before that happens.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    going to lead to an injury, possibly...

Only if you crash.

People don't get injured from just riding bikes. That happens with running because running is a very high impact activity. Cycling is a very low impact activity - again as long as you don't crash.

You're likely to wind up a little sore, but that will start to go away as soon as you get off the bike.

Admittedly, my major injuries have been the result of a crash, but there are injuries that can occur without crashing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    going to lead to an injury, possibly...

Only if you crash.

People don't get injured from just riding bikes. That happens with running because running is a very high impact activity. Cycling is a very low impact activity - again as long as you don't crash.

You're likely to wind up a little sore, but that will start to go away as soon as you get off the bike.

That's why it says 'possibly'... it's not certain to happen.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys!! I've decided not to go for it... I'll start off with a few shorter rides and work up to it and will cycle the route before the summer is over... who knows, by next year I might be signing up for the 100 or 160K event :smiley:
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    amc2509 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys!! I've decided not to go for it... I'll start off with a few shorter rides and work up to it and will cycle the route before the summer is over... who knows, by next year I might be signing up for the 100 or 160K event :smiley:

A year is more than enough time to train for a 160k event, if that's what you want to do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    People don't get injured from just riding bikes.

Assuming correct set up and an appreciation of gearing. Overgearing on that ride could quite easily cause knee issues.
  • Scandinavianblonde00
    Options
    60k is like 37 miles right? I biked around 70 mi for fun a couple months ago with no training... and I'm no cyclist. I'd say that anything under 80mi can be done by anyone in half decent shape.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It has risk that you may not survive that long in the saddle if the position is wrong or 'things' are rubbing. However if you've got good gear and some of that crotch butter, you can probably get it done. Just have someone on call to pick you up if it goes sour.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    60k is like 37 miles right? I biked around 70 mi for fun a couple months ago with no training... and I'm no cyclist. I'd say that anything under 80mi can be done by anyone in half decent shape.

I have to agree. My mom used to live to "surprise" me with invites to bike treks thru AH&LA. I'd get about 1-2 weeks worth of warning and cycling wasn't something I did with any regularity. But I'd enjoy myself on 60 - 100 mile bike loops with no more then a tender butt and sore thighs. Though, I was reasonably fit, the treks were very casual (lots of stops for pics, rests or just to pet local farm animals), I'd walk my bike up the steep hills and I always knew if I hit a wall, I could always get picked up by the trail van.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »

I have to agree. My mom used to live to "surprise" me with invites to bike treks thru AH&LA. I'd get about 1-2 weeks worth of warning and cycling wasn't something I did with any regularity. But I'd enjoy myself on 60 - 100 mile bike loops with no more then a tender butt and sore thighs. Though, I was reasonably fit, the treks were very casual (lots of stops for pics, rests or just to pet local farm animals), I'd walk my bike up the steep hills and I always knew if I hit a wall, I could always get picked up by the trail van.

No one is saying that a person who is fit can't ride long distances. But we're talking about someone who only runs for 25 minutes at a time and has never ridden more than 12 miles. Offering anecdotes about going for a 6 to 10 hour bicycle ride doesn't really the question of whether her fitness level is sufficient to ride that distance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    fbchick51 wrote: »

No one is saying that a person who is fit can't ride long distances. But we're talking about someone who only runs for 25 minutes at a time and has never ridden more than 12 miles. Offering anecdotes about going for a 6 to 10 hour bicycle ride doesn't really the question of whether her fitness level is sufficient to ride that distance.

I was basically going to say the same...