Craving Peanut butter and mushrooms ??

Options
2»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There is no science behind food craving = nutritional need. Your body is not "trying to tell" you anything.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Eat all the mushrooms.

They are my staple. I eat at least 120g of them every single day.

Had half a pound with dinner last night.

BTW, they cook fantastic in water allowing you to eat a bunch for very few calories. Actually, I used the extra calories that could have been oil to add parmesan and mozzarella. Brilliant move if I do say so myself.

I do them in water with a touch of soy sauce added. Yummy.

I'm going to have to try parmesan with them now.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I opened the thread half expecting peanut butter and mushroom sandwiches...heh.
    I agree, eat all of the mushrooms. I've had peanut butter cravings lately myself, and have solved this by making peanut butter and banana baked oatmeal. Good stuff, since a small amount of peanut butter usually goes a long way for me.
  • brooke88z
    brooke88z Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this wouldn't work. At least if you're into spicy food:

Portabello Satay With Thai Peanut Sauce
    Thai Linguine in Chili Peanut Sauce With Shiitake Mushrooms

Also, when I was a kid I would dip chicken fingers into peanut butter. I think I've always been into really earthy flavors.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    All I could think of reading the thread title is that you're due for some thai food lol.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist was quoted saying "If cravings indicated what we should be eating, we'd all crave vegetables."
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist was quoted saying "If cravings indicated what we should be eating, we'd all crave vegetables."

I do crave fruits and vegetables though... And when I am dehydrated or after intense workouts I always crave salty foods because my sodium is low. There is definite links between certain cravings and minerals/vitamins you are lacking. For example, vinegar craving may indicate your stomach acid is far too basic. When I am lacking protein in my diet, I crave meat...etc. I have read numerous studies on this. It does have some validity to it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    As for the PB, I sub Barneys almond butter that comes in small 90 cal single-serve pouches. Schmear it on whole grain bread with some thin sliced banana.

For mushroom, tonight I'm making spinach and honey goat cheese stuffed portobellos with a drizzle of balsamic over a salad. It's an experiment--but sounds good, right?
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I do crave fruits and vegetables though... And when I am dehydrated or after intense workouts I always crave salty foods because my sodium is low. There is definite links between certain cravings and minerals/vitamins you are lacking. For example, vinegar craving may indicate your stomach acid is far too basic. When I am lacking protein in my diet, I crave meat...etc. I have read numerous studies on this. It does have some validity to it.

Do you have links to those studies? Genuinely curious. Every study I've read shows no causal link between mineral deficiencies and food cravings.

And also, in for the mushroom love. The answer is always eat the mushrooms.