Starving!!

Options
I keep messing up my daily goals because I'm hungry even after eating. I upped it to 1500, but already hit that after lunch. Suggestions? I am a vegetarian, by the way.

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm hungrier if I don't eat enough protein and/or if I eat too many carbs at one sitting (much more so than just the total over the day, if that makes sense).

This is just me, but I assume you're asking what works for different people so you can maybe try different things.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What does a typical day of meals look like for you?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I keep messing up my daily goals because I'm hungry even after eating. I upped it to 1500, but already hit that after lunch. Suggestions? I am a vegetarian, by the way.

Are you getting enough protein, fiber and fats? These three things can help you feel more satiated and might help you stay within your calorie goal more easily.
  • HonestNikki
    HonestNikki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe just have some filler around? Low cal fruits and vegetables are good for this problem. I used to get really hungry. A bag of plain frozen veggies you can microwave will usually be about 150-200 calories and eating the whole thing is nearly impossible. It's like a buffet where you can stuff yourself, but there's no consequence. Just remember that sauces can turn it into something fattening, so just plain veggies.
  • graybettina
    graybettina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    - drink some water or tea (mate tea may suppresses your hunger signals) with your meals.
    - try not to skip meals since it will slow down your metabolism.
    - also try to eat very slowly and deliberately when you eat. don't rush it. it takes some time for your brain to get the "i am full notice".
    -sometimes just having that cup of tea after a meal will help with that or call a friend to take your mind of the situation. if i am busy i am rarely thinking about food. the dangerous time starts when i sit down and relax.
    - you can always eat smaller meals and have more frequent snacks. something you have to chew a little bit longer like carrots, broccoli or cauliflower will do wonders. just remember to eat a little bit of healthy fat with your carrots to get their full benefits. if you are not following a meal plan (i use cooking light but there are many others out there) try to find one that fits you and stick with it for a little while.
    - another strategy that really works for me is being more active. first you are "earning" some extra calories, second while you are moving you are not eating, and finally my tummy usually doesn't want any food for some time after i work out, walk, or ride my bike.

good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • mrgreendots
    mrgreendots Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you eat, I swear. I'm on the opposite end right now, trying to gain weight after an aggressive stomach bug and emetophobia. Right now I'm eating all day long and I struggle to get to 1800 calories. (1500 does sound a bit harsh though by the way).
    My dietary restrictions used to be hell but once you switch over, you get used to it. Dairy or anything creamy makes me ill so I avoid that and eat soups that are made with vegetable broth and no meat. Anything overly fatty again makes me ill so nothing fried in oil or butter, go for grilled, boiled, roasted or cooked. I barely eat meat, and when I do I can't eat much of it either so since you're vegetarian, no worries there. Instead of butter on toast I eat avocado (sprinkle dried basil on top of it) and I have one or two slices of deli turkey with it. Even when I was trying to lose weight, raw veggies were a free for all. I allowed myself to eat as many as I wanted without counting calories. In wraps and sandwiches I use cucumbers, baby spinach, red peppers and lettuce. For dinner, the heaviest thing I could eat was mashed potatoes. Things like cooked spinach, cabbage, roasted veggies (low on oil), eggs (little to no oil/fat), and broth veggie/legume stews (dairy free) are pretty filling and low in calories. Otherwise I would also eat things like rice and polenta which are also filling. For breakfast, I would just have toast with margarine, avocado, turkey or honey (sometimes a slice of cheese). My bigger breakfasts included either a hard boiled or scrambled eggs with toast or oatmeal (prepared with water) with an apple or banana and sweetened with raw honey.
    I also had to avoid refined sugars for a good while high fiber, low processed foods (no white bread).
    Basically I followed a slightly more restrictive GERD diet (look up recipes, they're low in fat and refined sugar).
    Rice cakes, and healthier granola bars (no chocolate/peanut butter!) as well as apple sauce are good snacks. I have 2-4 servings of fruit a day to calm sugar cravings (go for watery fruit like grapes, watermelon, cantaloupes apples, oranges, grapefruit etc.)
    I can't say you'll be happier eating like this, it was hell for me, but avoiding oil, and anything dairy or sugar sure cuts your calories... That being said fats do slow digestion so having dairy (like yogurt or a glass of milk) as a snack might help get you across to the next meal.
    I also eat 3 meals and 3 snacks which are relatively close in caloric content (snacks 1-300 calories; meals (3-500).
    Keep a water bottle on you and drink before meals.

Another thing that may help: Healthy bowel movements are AT LEAST once a day. Before even getting out of bed in the morning I slowly sip a glass of water for 15-25 minutes and then go to the bathroom. After that I eat lunch.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water throughout the day and add some kind of plant-based protein into your diet to help with satiety. You could also look into 16:8 fasting. It might seem counter-intuitive, but skipping breakfast and just eating bigger meals later in the day may help to alleviate your constant hunger.
  • SlothLikeMe
    SlothLikeMe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »

Using today as an example:

Drip coffee
    Chobani greek yogurt peach
    1/4 cup grape nuts

I was starving after this so I had snack I grabbed from the grocery with baby carrots, apples, cheese slice, almonds.

Lunch was a veggie sandwich on whole wheat. I cheated with a big cookie.

I just had a bunch of pomegranate seeds.

I am drinking water, but it keeps making me run to the bathroom, so that's annoying.

I'm not sure what I'll have for dinner. I'm already over calories.
  • SlothLikeMe
    Options
    If you're physically hungry. Why are you ignoring that hunger? Just eat. Being super strict to the point of not knowing whether or not to eat when hungry is flirting with an eating disorder. Just chill out and up your cals some more. Even eat at maintenance for a day or two.

Oh, for sure! If I'm hungry, I eat. It's just frustrating that I can't seem to keep it under 1500. I guess it's a process. I'm hoping that eventually my body will not need to eat everything on the planet. I'm sure I must have a tapeworm. LOL!
  • SlothLikeMe
    Options
    Drink a lot of water throughout the day and add some kind of plant-based protein into your diet to help with satiety. You could also look into 16:8 fasting. It might seem counter-intuitive, but skipping breakfast and just eating bigger meals later in the day may help to alleviate your constant hunger.

I'm not sure what this is, but I'll look into it.
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Honestly, based off of your example and my own personal experience... you're not eating enough good fat. I could eat 1000 calories worth of fruit and still be hungry or my lunch today for example was 1oz cheddar cheese, 1/2 avocado, hard boiled egg, 1 medium tomato and 4 wasa crackers. This was approximately 1/3 of my calories for the day and I was satisfied after eating it. Much more satisfied than after eating my double portion of oatmeal and a banana for breakfast.

Like a PP said, if you're not hungry for breakfast or if eating breakfast makes you hungrier earlier in the day, skip it. Recent studies are showing that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is actually BS.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're not eating enough fat! Especially for breakfast.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Drip coffee
    1/4 cup grape nuts

I was starving after this so I had snack I grabbed from the grocery with baby carrots, apples, cheese slice, almonds.

I am drinking water, but it keeps making me run to the bathroom, so that's annoying.

For me, I eat as much protein with each meal/snack as I can since it keeps me the fullest the longest. Doesn't look like you have any sort of protein in there except the Greek yogurt and a cheese slice.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Drip coffee
    1/4 cup grape nuts

I don't see how you were over 1200 after lunch, are you being honest in counting?

Try more fat and protein, as others have suggested.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Drip coffee
    1/4 cup grape nuts

That breakfast would leave me starving too. That's only 180 calories, and they're packed small - meaning, that 1/4c Grape Nuts, really a tiny, tiny amount, is 100 calories. So, tiny and densely caloric. You're not physically bulking much with your food so you're starving afterward.

My suggestion (take it for what it is, just one suggestion) would be to up the protein of your breakfast and up the bulk as well by having the yogurt plus maybe one egg and two whites, scrambled (I'd use Pam), and stuffed with maybe some sauteed mushrooms, onions and green peppers, which will be less than 200 calories but a pretty physically good-sized plate of food; then add at least another 100 calories of something. You could have a honkin' amount of cantaloupe cubes for 100 calories, for example. Like 2 cups, I think?

You're starting your morning very hungry (people all differ on this but it sounds like for you, breakfast is a need for your body) and it's only going to go downhill from there. You snack but you're already "starving" so your mind is interpreting the almonds and so on as just little stop-gaps to keep you from expiring from lack of food. :D It's just a pretty bad physical and psychological setup, IMO.