Should I eat chocolate if it takes up 340 of my calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kmcadam78 wrote: »
    the fact that people have withdrawl symptoms proves it

No, people have withdrawal symptoms in the sense I think you mean from quitting any bad habit. I personally have quit added sugar for a while multiple times, and never had a hint of a withdrawal symptom, but stopping other things (not poisons or drugs) caused me to feel irritable, be thinking of the thing, etc., until I got past the hump).

You can have true (relatively mild) physical ones from quitting caffeine, but it's not a "poison" (at least no more than anything else is, as everything can be consumed to such an excess that it hurts you).

Anyway, I don't believe there is any evidence at all for physical withdrawal symptoms from sugar, it makes no sense. Your body makes sugar from all carbs and sugar is in lots of nutrient dense foods like fruits, veg, and dairy, so it's getting sugar whether you consume added sugar or not. Yes, many people have symptoms when adjusting to ketosis, but that requires a lot more than cutting added sugar, and isn't withdrawal.

Not sure what this all has to do with OP's question -- your answer is he should not eat that much chocolate because sugar is a drug and a toxin?

How about me? I have a chocolate drink that I love, no sugar in it, about 50 calories, supposed to be similar to the chocolate drink that Montezuma consumed (I'm sure it's not really), you brew it like coffee. Since that does not have sugar, is it okay to use 340 calories on it (7 cups, say)? (I have my own opinions related to my own diet goals and satiety and so on, but curious.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I will usually eat half a chocolate bar that is 160-170 calories and then eat the other half.
    Should I just eat only half of it?
    It makes me full. But it does crowd out other foods
    I also save room for a pint of halo top.
    All this on 1300 calories

It is up to you how you allocate your calories. If you are not meeting your nutrition goals and using a large portion of your daily calories on sweets daily you may want to rethink that. It won't keep you from losing weight but you could make healthier choices.

I eat 1200-1400 calories and I would eat the smaller amount of chocolate and not both chocolate and halo top ice cream in one day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kmcadam78 wrote: »
    Sugar really is a drug and a poison and the fact that people have withdrawl symptoms proves it

If sugar really is a drug and a poison how come I am not addicted to it? How come I am not dead? I mean, if I ingest poison, wouldn't I die? Weird...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    No, people have withdrawal symptoms in the sense I think you mean from quitting any bad habit.

^^^Spot on...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I eat excellent dark chocolate most days. 1-2 (~70kcal) square seems to satisfy me, and I can buy a giant bar at Trader Joe's, break it up, and keep it in a jar. That might be too much of a temptation for some, for whom I recommend buying individually-wrapped portions a few at a time. It seems silly, but what I am recommending is to buy a smaller bar. Don't keep extra around the house if it's a problem.

Best of luck and long live chocolate!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    The answer to the question "Should I eat chocolate?" Is always yes. :). Chocolate is good for your mental health.

I buy the little individual wrapped ones like the Dove dark chocolate pieces. This way, you can portion out what you want.

I never want to be on a diet where chocolate is not permitted. That sounds terrible!