Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting.

Options
diamondawg76
diamondawg76 Posts: 15 Member
Hi Folks, I'm new here :)

I just wondered if anyone is having success with IF? I would love to hear from you all, any opinions on it at all. thanx

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I use it as a tool to control hunger (I tend to do well when I fast before lunchtime) but any success you have or don't have will ultimately come down to your caloric deficit.
  • diamondawg76
    Options
    thanx guys, I'm currently doing the 16/8, have been for the last 3 weeks, and I have lost 5 pounds last week, I only started weighing myself last week. Its clearly working for me combined with swimming everyday and counting calories. I just cant believe the amount of energy I have, I have not felt this good in a loooong time! I swim while fasting too and have a meal after. I hope I have a long way to go but this is such a great start :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Im kinda doing a version of it since I don't get hungry until about after 12 and I save my calories for a big dinner. This tends to stop me from going over.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I fell into my own IF rhythm naturally. I find I do better throughout the day if I have my first meal between 9:30-10am instead of within an hour of waking (I'm up at 5:45am). This is generally something small like a greek yogurt or smoothie.

I also do better to stay within my calorie range if I don't eat after dinner. I could snack all night long! We typically eat dinner around 5:30pm so by 6:00pm (give or take) I'm done for the day.
  • diamondawg76
    Options
    Were all taught to believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and were giving this structure of eating 3 to 4 meals a day...you know, if you go any longer you will starve and die!! lol I have enough fat reserves to last me a month a least lol.

The science behind IF makes complete sense to me and the health benefits are just amazing, Im experiencing some of them now. Its not for everyone but I feel those who are really struggling to loose weight will reap huge benefits from this eating schedule.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Mainly notice the word Intermittent and everyone forgets what the word means. Everyone fasts when they sleep at night and in between meals. Don't fall into the all or nothing trap, or making it too complicated trap, or thinking every day has to be the same, or getting stuck in a rut with eating patterns. In the end, all that matters is the calories in a 24 hour period, extend it out 7, 30, 60, and 90 days for results.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    ^ Agreed. My natural preference is to skip breakfast so I do a bastardized version of IF in that I eat well after midnight if I'm up and able lol At the end of the day you should make it as simple as possible to stick to.
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just started IF(on purpose). I don't eat some days until 12 so it's not much of a challenge there. I am however, making sure I stay within my calorie goal. I've lost 3lbs this week. I think it's a lifestyle change I can actually stick with
  • diamondawg76
    Options
    I just started IF(on purpose). I don't eat some days until 12 so it's not much of a challenge there. I am however, making sure I stay within my calorie goal. I've lost 3lbs this week. I think it's a lifestyle change I can actually stick with

yeah me too, some days I do get a bit hungry at night, but I'm dealing with it. I lost 5 pound 2 weeks ago and last week I gained a pound, but lost a half inch that week so bugger the scales lol. Have you been measuring yourself?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Were all taught to believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and were giving this structure of eating 3 to 4 meals a day...you know, if you go any longer you will starve and die!! lol I have enough fat reserves to last me a month a least lol.

I eat 3 times a day since I prefer to, the boring traditional schedule just works for me these days (I'm a morning person, but like dinner too), but certainly don't think eating in the morning is necessary for everyone or that you have to eat every few hours or will starve, that's silly. I think meal timing is about what works for you as an individual and an eating schedule that fits with your personality, preferences, and lifestyle can make everything so much easier. So in that sense I don't do IF personally, but think it makes sense.

As for the rest of the claims, whatever. ;-)

A friend of mine does 5/2 (where you eat however you like on 5 days and up to 500 calories on the other two). She loves it, lost 10 vanity lbs, and is now maintaining in a way she enjoys.
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    yeah me too, some days I do get a bit hungry at night, but I'm dealing with it. I lost 5 pound 2 weeks ago and last week I gained a pound, but lost a half inch that week so bugger the scales lol. Have you been measuring yourself?

Not yet. I'm going to in the morning though