Healthy takeout pizzas

Options
13»

Replies

• alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Honestly, there isn't any. Even the low calorie pizzas have a large amount of calories for how little they fill you etc.

It's very easy to make your own pizza, and actually know what's going in it. It usually only takes me 10 minutes and I'm sure you could make a batch of them and freeze them for later dates ?

1/4 of a small Domino's thin crust pizza with cheese, mushrooms, green peppers, and roasted red peppers is 190 calories. So someone who was on pretty low calories could have 1/4 of a pizza with a big salad and still easily fit into their goals. Someone with a higher goal or who saved more calories for dinner could even have half the pizza.

I'm not sure about you, but I would prefer to have a larger more filling home made pizza over a quarter of a dominos pizza which is mostly grease.
    Home made pizzas can be just as nice if not nicer than dominos.

Why would a veggie pizza be mostly grease?

I make pizzas at home, I eat pizza at local Italian places, and I also order from Domino's for delivery or pick up Little Caesars some times when we are in a time crunch. Sometimes convenience is important.

By your comment I believe you haven't had a dominos pizza. Even with cheese pizza lift up your pizza and there will be grease.
    Because cheese has natural moisture, grease. And all takeaway pizzas are rubbed with either oil or butter therefore resulting to more grease.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In a way, any pizza is absolutely fine, it's just that over the decades we've all completely lost sight of what an appropriate portion size is.

I remember couple of years ago my husband and I ordered FOUR EXTRA LARGE pizzas because they were on a special deal and proceeded to eat most of them for one meal; I dread to think how many calories that was, but we probably ate between two people what was intended for about 16 people.

Nowadays, I still eat pizza, but I just buy one slice from my local bakery that sells great pizza by the slice. I think it's about 400 calories, great light lunch. Spinach and ricotta is my favourite - yum.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I go to a local pizzeria for mine...they do a "liteline" which is a thin crust and they cut back on the cheese and toppings...my wife and I usually split a small. We do pizza night on Friday and we're just in it for the enjoyment and to cut loose a little, not so much the "health"...we do the "healthy" all week long. We do order the liteline most of the time as that seems to be the better decision, but I bet it's still a gazillion calories and me no care...

so....less crust, less cheese, less toppings just means fewer bites of the same things for the same money.... why don't you just eat fewer slices of the real deal? As I showed above, the macros don't really adjust all that much.

It doesn't cost the same (25% less)...but besides that, that's not how I roll with pizza...I'm going to eat half the pizza regardless. I also prefer thin crust pizzas in general...I'm not into the whole dough thing. They're regular crust is fine, but it does make you feel like you're just eating a big dough ball...not really my bag. And really, not sure how "lite"' it is...the biggest difference seems to be the crust...toppings are more than enough. I've been eating this since way before I got into losing weight or anything...like I've been going there for about 25-30 years.

Like i said, not too worried about it...and I really could give a frack about macros in general...not something I'm particularly obsessed with.

We usually get the "Greg's combo"...Pepperoni, canadian bacon, hot or mild green chile, mushrooms, red onions, minced garlic, mile sausage, red bell peppers, and artichokes. With the thin crust it's still a lot of food...it's like a mountain with the regular crust.

Well thats certainly fine if thats what you like. I also find it interesting that you (and several other people on the thread) are talking about number of slices/half the pizza rather than a volume. I think a lot of people go for thin crust because its "better" or "lower calorie" even if they don't like it as much but if you need say 500g of pizza to be satisfied, thin crust doesn't save you much nutritionally or calorically. I would eat 3/4 of a large pizza instead of half and not enjoy it as much... If, however, you just want half a pizza no matter the actual volume consumed, its better. Not sure how that actually works though. Is it like the magic of using a smaller plate and tricking your mind into feeling full faster?

I think thin crust is a great option for people who really enjoy the other parts of pizza (the toppings, the sauce) and don't necessarily want to "waste" calories on the crust. If someone really enjoys the crust, it won't be as great of an option for them. I fall in both camps -- sometimes I really enjoy a thinner crust because it allows me to get more of the other stuff and sometimes I just want fewer slices of a pizza with a thicker crust.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there isn't any. Even the low calorie pizzas have a large amount of calories for how little they fill you etc.

It's very easy to make your own pizza, and actually know what's going in it. It usually only takes me 10 minutes and I'm sure you could make a batch of them and freeze them for later dates ?

1/4 of a small Domino's thin crust pizza with cheese, mushrooms, green peppers, and roasted red peppers is 190 calories. So someone who was on pretty low calories could have 1/4 of a pizza with a big salad and still easily fit into their goals. Someone with a higher goal or who saved more calories for dinner could even have half the pizza.

I'm not sure about you, but I would prefer to have a larger more filling home made pizza over a quarter of a dominos pizza which is mostly grease.

I make pizzas at home, I eat pizza at local Italian places, and I also order from Domino's for delivery or pick up Little Caesars some times when we are in a time crunch. Sometimes convenience is important.

By your comment I believe you haven't had a dominos pizza. Even with cheese pizza lift up your pizza and there will be grease.
    Because cheese has natural moisture, grease. And all takeaway pizzas are rubbed with either oil or butter therefore resulting to more grease.

I don't think it is true that all takeaway pizza is rubbed with oil or butter -- I order pizza a few times a month and I don't have this greasy experience that you seem to think is standard when I order a thin crust pizza. The point is for the crust to be crispy. I don't personally get cheese on my pizza (I don't eat it), but my husband always does and I see the box after he is done eating. Domino's, even when he has cheese and sausage, isn't mostly grease.

There are great reasons to make pizza at home (it's fun, it's tasty, it can be very economical), but fear of commerically prepared pizza doesn't strike me as a reason to do it. As multiple people in the thread has written, it's not that hard to come up with options for most calorie goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I eat Domino's pizza about once a month. Often chicken, spinach and roasted red pepper - sometimes pepperoni or sausage if it is at a kid's birthday party. Neither of which I would describe as "mostly grease". In fact, I tend to get some stomach troubles if I do eat a combination of grease and dairy (looking at you cheese fries and at a particularly greasy burrito at a Mexican place in college) so if that were the case, I likely wouldn't be able to eat Domino's at all.

And I have no idea what you're talking about that the takeaway pizzas are rubbed with oil or butter. What part of the pizza? Like drizzled over the top of it? No I don't believe that's the case.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that does not change the fact that in a pinch one can have domino's or papa johns and fit it into calorie and marco targets..

for the record, I prefer homemade as well...

• ndj1979
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    And dont forget that if you choose to make a crust with cauliflower or zucchini (saw that the other day), you can substantially lower the calorie count, but then the tradeoff is whether you really consider a cauliflower crust ANYTHING to be legit pizza.

it is not
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I go to a local pizzeria for mine...they do a "liteline" which is a thin crust and they cut back on the cheese and toppings...my wife and I usually split a small. We do pizza night on Friday and we're just in it for the enjoyment and to cut loose a little, not so much the "health"...we do the "healthy" all week long. We do order the liteline most of the time as that seems to be the better decision, but I bet it's still a gazillion calories and me no care...

so....less crust, less cheese, less toppings just means fewer bites of the same things for the same money.... why don't you just eat fewer slices of the real deal? As I showed above, the macros don't really adjust all that much.

what difference does either method make?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower. Big fan. But the crust just didn't satisfy my pizza craving. It didn't taste bad by any means. I just didn't get the pizza satisfaction.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have to assume franchised pizza places make their pies differently in different parts of the country/world because I don't find Dominos pizza greasy at all. Fast food type pizza places like Sbarros or the no-name food court places can be super greasy though.

Regardless, OP I second the thin crust option if you like your pizza that way, it's a great way to shave off some calories. And just mind your portion. As a former New Yorker, I believe that if you can't fold your slice it's not worth eating :) so I limit myself to two slices every Friday night, fit them in my weekly calories, and enjoy them.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some good frozen pizza options (flatbreads/thin and regular crust). I also have been shifting down the size of the pizza my husband and I order (we each eat half >.<). Over time when it comes to delivery, we have gone from extra-large down to sharing a medium comfortably. I just make sure I have room for whatever calories that comes with!
  • redvelvet2130
    redvelvet2130 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in a Cane Rosso's margherita pizza?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It doesn't cost the same (25% less)...but besides that, that's not how I roll with pizza...I'm going to eat half the pizza regardless. I also prefer thin crust pizzas in general...I'm not into the whole dough thing. They're regular crust is fine, but it does make you feel like you're just eating a big dough ball...not really my bag. And really, not sure how "lite"' it is...the biggest difference seems to be the crust...toppings are more than enough. I've been eating this since way before I got into losing weight or anything...like I've been going there for about 25-30 years.

Like i said, not too worried about it...and I really could give a frack about macros in general...not something I'm particularly obsessed with.

We usually get the "Greg's combo"...Pepperoni, canadian bacon, hot or mild green chile, mushrooms, red onions, minced garlic, mile sausage, red bell peppers, and artichokes. With the thin crust it's still a lot of food...it's like a mountain with the regular crust.

Well thats certainly fine if thats what you like. I also find it interesting that you (and several other people on the thread) are talking about number of slices/half the pizza rather than a volume. I think a lot of people go for thin crust because its "better" or "lower calorie" even if they don't like it as much but if you need say 500g of pizza to be satisfied, thin crust doesn't save you much nutritionally or calorically. I would eat 3/4 of a large pizza instead of half and not enjoy it as much... If, however, you just want half a pizza no matter the actual volume consumed, its better. Not sure how that actually works though. Is it like the magic of using a smaller plate and tricking your mind into feeling full faster?

No, it's 1/2 a pizza because my wife eats the other 1/2 so I have no choice...left to my own devices I would just eat a *kitten* ton of pizza. This is why we split a small...it force stops both of us...I could definitely eat more.

And like I mentioned, I like thin crust pizzas because I'm not really keen on a big doughy crust...I like all the other stuff much more than the crust.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thin crust IS > no pizza, but still a little :(. Try subbing feta for all of the cheese. Great flavor and the sauce and ingredients stand out more. You don't get the ooey gooey cheese strings, but that doesn't do anything for me.

I get regular crust Papa Murpheys chicken garlic with sub extra chicken and feta for the mozzarella and topping cheese (and leave the romano parmesan "herb and cheese blend"). Doesn't cost any extra, $10 for a large on Tuesdays.

Large slice 1/8: 270 cals, 8g fat, 34g carbs, 16g protein.
    I've seen "protein" bars with worse macros and the ranch and feta is SOOoo flavourful. Can easily fit in 3 pieces but I commonly have half a large or more depending on my workouts.

ETA: make the above a thin crust and
    140 cals, 5g fat, 16g carbs, 9g protein
    They must give you less toppings not just a thinner crust. No way nearly half the protein with a double dose of chicken was in the crust. Seems like a waste of money since the macro ratio doesn't change much. You just have to eat more.

Ooh! I didn't know you get extra meat instead of mozzarella! I know what I'm getting next time...

Anyway, my vote is for Papa Murphy's Angus Steak Delite thin crust. I love how crispy it gets when you bake it at home. 220 cal/13g protein for 1/8 of a large. I can usually fit 2 slices and a big salad in my calories pretty easily.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I eat Domino's pizza about once a month. Often chicken, spinach and roasted red pepper - sometimes pepperoni or sausage if it is at a kid's birthday party. Neither of which I would describe as "mostly grease". In fact, I tend to get some stomach troubles if I do eat a combination of grease and dairy (looking at you cheese fries and at a particularly greasy burrito at a Mexican place in college) so if that were the case, I likely wouldn't be able to eat Domino's at all.

And I have no idea what you're talking about that the takeaway pizzas are rubbed with oil or butter. What part of the pizza? Like drizzled over the top of it? No I don't believe that's the case.

Maybe she is thinking of pan pizza? The pans are greased generously before the dough is placed in the pan. So those can be pretty greasy.

Hand tossed pizza is not unless you add the option of some type of treatment to the crust. Dominos, when they revamped their recipe did something to the crust- maybe butter and herbs/Parmesan cheese. Pizza Hut you can select crust flavorings.

lol I know my chain pizza :smile:
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OP: As a New Yorker, I beg you, plan your calories to account for it and just go and have a decent slice. I see Irving TX has a couple of Italian pizza parlors...how bad could it be?? I recommend sausage, onion, mushroom, black olive and extra cheese. Fuhgeddaboudit!

YES. Absolutely 100% this.

As pizza basically makes life worth living, I have had to accept that I must commit to becoming a workout junkie/calorie burning fiend in order to both sustain my pizza habit and fit into my jeans. Giving up good pizza, or settling for some cauliflower crust abomination, is simply not an option to me. :smiley:

And kudos to those culinarily-gifted purists who do not deign to purchase premade pizzas. But for many of us, making our own is just not a happening thing. I mean, the last time I tried to boil eggs I caught the kitchen on fire. So, just...no.