Options
2»

Replies

• coopergirl15
    coopergirl15 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    saurabh26 wrote: »
    Agree re: lean bulk while lifting or doing calisthenics. Focus on more than your abs...all the core muscles, especially the transverse abdominals, are needed for a nicely defined core. And those muscles will only be visible after you cut. I believe for men abs are only visible at 12% body fat or below, and women start getting ab definition at 22% body fat and below.

You don't need to hit a gym. Load up body weight workout vids on YouTube or use websites like bodybuilding.com that post body weight training circuits. Calisthenics can build muscle just as well as weight training. Plus, working out can help you focus and relieve stress, therefore possibly helping with your mental clarity during your exams. Good luck to you.

Thanks a lot. Also is it okay if I'm taking a weight gainer (BSN true mass) without hitting the gym?

I wouldn't recommend BSN True Mass after looking at its nutrition content. I would look at protein powders in the natural foods section of your local grocery store and read the nutrition label carefully before buying to make sure they have a minimal amount of, or no, added sugars. Or you can do what I do, which is go to a bulk foods store, pick up bulk whey powder and soy powder and mix them together 70% whey to 30% soy (or whatever ratio you want). Much cheaper, no added sugars.

Protein supplementation is a good thing when you're working out or the day after. It'll assist in building muscle mass. A good rule is to shoot for consuming 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of your current body weight. I always have protein shakes using the home made protein powder after a workout and usually the day after a workout while I'm healing.

It is not necessary to consume additional protein if you're not working out. There are guidelines out there for "sedentary" protein consumption, follow them on days you're not working out or actively recovering (the next one or two days after a workout).
  • saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agree re: lean bulk while lifting or doing calisthenics. Focus on more than your abs...all the core muscles, especially the transverse abdominals, are needed for a nicely defined core. And those muscles will only be visible after you cut. I believe for men abs are only visible at 12% body fat or below, and women start getting ab definition at 22% body fat and below.

You don't need to hit a gym. Load up body weight workout vids on YouTube or use websites like bodybuilding.com that post body weight training circuits. Calisthenics can build muscle just as well as weight training. Plus, working out can help you focus and relieve stress, therefore possibly helping with your mental clarity during your exams. Good luck to you.

Thanks a lot. Also is it okay if I'm taking a weight gainer (BSN true mass) without hitting the gym?

I wouldn't recommend BSN True Mass after looking at its nutrition content. I would look at protein powders in the natural foods section of your local grocery store and read the nutrition label carefully before buying to make sure they have a minimal amount of, or no, added sugars. Or you can do what I do, which is go to a bulk foods store, pick up bulk whey powder and soy powder and mix them together 70% whey to 30% soy (or whatever ratio you want). Much cheaper, no added sugars.

Protein supplementation is a good thing when you're working out or the day after. It'll assist in building muscle mass. A good rule is to shoot for consuming 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of your current body weight. I always have protein shakes using the home made protein powder after a workout and usually the day after a workout while I'm healing.

It is not necessary to consume additional protein if you're not working out. There are guidelines out there for "sedentary" protein consumption, follow them on days you're not working out actively recovering (the next one or two days after a workout).

Hey, I appreciate your thought but I'm not a big foodie. To gain weight, I have to complete 3000 calories per day. A scoop of BSN gives me around 650 calories which helps me in reaching my goal. Also, I read cardio isn't meant for me as I'm gaining. But a 15 mins running twice a week is beneficial. Right?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

It is not necessary to consume additional protein if you're not working out. There are guidelines out there for "sedentary" protein consumption, follow them on days you're not working out or actively recovering (the next one or two days after a workout).

Why would you dilute whey with a soy protein; whey has the highest concentration of leucine which stimulates protein synthesis. And there is nothing wrong with added sugar. It has a purposes, especially while bulking.

OP, if you need to get calories, look at the below thread. And if you want to run, you can, you just have to make sure you can keep up with the calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read#latest

Also OP, if you aren't going to work out, then don't work on gaining weight, it will be pure fat. There is nothing wrong with waiting that extra month.
  • saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Why would you dilute whey with a soy protein; whey has the highest concentration of leucine which stimulates protein synthesis. And there is nothing wrong with added sugar. It has a purposes, especially while bulking.

OP, if you need to get calories, look at the below thread. And if you want to run, you can, you just have to make sure you can keep up with the calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read#latest

Also OP, if you aren't going to work out, then don't work on gaining weight, it will be pure fat. There is nothing wrong with waiting that extra month.

Thanks a lot mate. I don't want to wait for an extra month though. I'm planning to workout at my home. Shall workout and take extra 500 calories. I hope that works for me
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks a lot mate. I don't want to wait for an extra month though. I'm planning to workout at my home. Shall workout and take extra 500 calories. I hope that works for me

What kind of workout are you doing? Is there a progressive overload component to it? Doing general working out is going to be inefficient. You should follow a structure plan to force your muscles to get stronger. So if anything, get on a BW program that is predesigned and tested.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • coopergirl15
    Options

It is not necessary to consume additional protein if you're not working out. There are guidelines out there for "sedentary" protein consumption, follow them on days you're not working out actively recovering (the next one or two days after a workout).

Hey, I appreciate your thought but I'm not a big foodie. To gain weight, I have to complete 3000 calories per day. A scoop of BSN gives me around 650 calories which helps me in reaching my goal. Also, I read cardio isn't meant for me as I'm gaining. But a 15 mins running twice a week is beneficial. Right?

Cardio won't help your muscle gainz, correct. But cardiovascular fitness is generally good for everyone, so 15 minutes twice a week is a good goal for yourself and won't detract from your muscle mass building enough to matter, provided you don't want to be Mr. Olympia huge. IMO getting swole doesn't mean a thing if your cardiovascular fitness is *kitten*.

Fair warning, protein supplementation is all well and good but protein shakes (or whatever form your supplementation with powder takes) are called supplements for a reason, they shouldn't be a meal replacement. On non-training days eat that 650 calories another way. Roasted chicken breast, vegetables, BLTs, whatever. I'm not one to advise you there because my diet's different from yours, but mix it up. It's not about being a foodie, it's eating for optimal nutrition.
  • coopergirl15
    Options

Whey has the greater amount of leucine, sure, but whey also has lactose and a couple of amino acids that humans were not built to digest (but most have developed the ability to digest over time). By eating 3k calories/day and consuming 0.7 to 1gram of protein per pound of body weight OP is all ready consuming more protein than their body requires. Their body is just going to eliminate the rest. Same with all of us here who supplement protein intake. Soy powder is a legit option and it's my personal preference to dilute whey with soy because I'm one of the people with a dairy sensitivity.

Added sugar is empty carbs. If OP wants to bulk while working out why not eat those as carbs with nutritional value.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Whey has the greater amount of leucine, sure, but whey also has lactose and a couple of amino acids that humans were not built to digest (but most have developed the ability to digest over time). By eating 3k calories/day and consuming 0.7 to 1gram of protein per pound of body weight OP is all ready consuming more protein than their body requires. Their body is just going to eliminate the rest. Same with all of us here who supplement protein intake. Soy powder is a legit option and it's my personal preference to dilute whey with soy because I'm one of the people with a dairy sensitivity.

Added sugar is empty carbs. If OP wants to bulk while working out why not eat those as carbs with nutritional value.

A lot of humans have developed the ability to consume and digest dairy. If you aren't lactose, there is no reason to actually restrict it. If you are concerned with that, then consuming an isolate is a good alternative. If even that is an issue, then egg protein would be ideal. You can consume a soy protein if you prefer, but it's inferior to many other types of protein.

Sugar isn't really an empty calorie. Considering many people can address nutritional requirements in a deficit and even more so at maintenance, there really isn't a need to consume more nutrients than your body needs. You honestly don't get extra credit or anything. Does this mean that you should just eat a bunch of sugar or candy? Absolutely not. But if you are a person who struggles to consume a high amount of calories, than you need to consume calorie dense foods and incorporating treats is a great way to do so. And lets not forget, sugar is not an empty calorie. It provides your body with energy. Depending on the type of sugar and accompanying nutrients, will determine it's absorption rate. Often, consuming fast acting carbs pre-workout, would be a great source of energy to support a workout. Post workout, sugar/carbs help maximizing MPS along with protein, help prevent protein degradation and can support recovery.

Ultimately, nutrition is about context. You have to look at the overall picture to see if it addresses your requirements. If you restrict sugar because "it's empty", but fail to meet your energy requirements to get you in a surplus, your plan is going to fail. And after the failure, we are going to be having the same conversation as we currently are. What I tend to recommend, and many in the fitness industry do too, is keeping treats to about 10 to 20% of your daily intake.
  • coopergirl15
    edited April 2017
    Options

A lot of humans have developed the ability to consume and digest dairy. If you aren't lactose, there is no reason to actually restrict it. If you are concerned with that, then consuming an isolate is a good alternative. If even that is an issue, then egg protein would be ideal. You can consume a soy protein if you prefer, but it's inferior to many other types of protein.

Sugar isn't really an empty calorie. Considering many people can address nutritional requirements in a deficit and even more so at maintenance, there really isn't a need to consume more nutrients than your body needs. You honestly don't get extra credit or anything. Does this mean that you should just eat a bunch of sugar or candy? Absolutely not. But if you are a person who struggles to consume a high amount of calories, than you need to consume calorie dense foods and incorporating treats is a great way to do so. And lets not forget, sugar is not an empty calorie. It provides your body with energy. Depending on the type of sugar and accompanying nutrients, will determine it's absorption rate. Often, consuming fast acting carbs pre-workout, would be a great source of energy to support a workout. Post workout, sugar/carbs help maximizing MPS along with protein, help prevent protein degradation and can support recovery.

Ultimately, nutrition is about context. You have to look at the overall picture to see if it addresses your requirements. If you restrict sugar because "it's empty", but fail to meet your energy requirements to get you in a surplus, your plan is going to fail. And after the failure, we are going to be having the same conversation as we currently are. What I tend to recommend, and many in the fitness industry do too, is keeping treats to about 10 to 20% of your daily intake.

65% of the world's population is lactose intolerant. Agreed that egg protein is a good alternative protein source. It's also not something sold for cheap at bulk food stores. At least not the ones where I live. Since OP is a student, quite frankly protein supplements are $$$. I was suggesting a cheap, effective, healthier alternative to the protein powder OP wanted.

It seems like you're conflating added sugar (empty carbs) and carbs in general? They're carbs but have no nutritional value in comparison to carbs delivered in whole wheat bread or whole fruit or what have you. Thus "empty." The disadvantages of added sugar are outlined here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/added-sugar/art-20045328

Treats have their place. It's OK to "treat" where applicable but the rest of the time, eat nutritious calorically dense foods like tahini, nuts, whole wheat bread, avocados etc. The 80/20 or 90/10 guideline you mentioned. You still get energy for workouts or recovery, plus the energy lasts longer and you don't run the risk of fielding the possible side effects of too much added sugar in the diet (metabolic syndrome, liver damage, an increase in uric acid levels, etc).

No you don't get brownie points for eating clean when bulking, but all things in moderation comes to mind given the above.
  • psuLemon
    Options

65% of the world's population is lactose intolerant. Agreed that egg protein is a good alternative protein source. It's also not something sold in for cheap at bulk food stores. At least not the ones where I live. Since OP is a student, quite frankly protein supplements are $$$. I was suggesting a cheap, effective, healthier alternative to the protein powder OP wanted.

It seems like you're conflating added sugar (empty carbs) and carbs in general? They're carbs but have no nutritional value in comparison to carbs delivered in bread or whole fruit or what have you. Thus "empty." The disadvantages of added sugar are outlined here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/added-sugar/art-20045328

Treats have their place. It's OK to "treat" where applicable but the rest of the time, eat nutritious calorically dense foods like tahini, nuts, whole wheat bread, avocados etc. The 80/20 or 90/10 guideline you mentioned. You still get energy for workouts or recovery, plus the energy lasts longer and you don't run the risk of fielding the possible side effects of too much added sugar in the diet (metabolic syndrome, liver damage, an increase in uric acid levels, etc).

No you don't get brownie points for eating clean when bulking, but all things in moderation comes to mind given the above.

Re lactose: if the OP isn't lactose, there is no reason to avoid it. In fact, if you look at cost per gram of protein, nothing is cheaper than a whey protein. And consider, they are a college student, it would make for an easy snack.

You still seem to be failing on understanding dietary context. I full understand that adverse effects of added sugar in those who are obese and/or inactive. I full understand the possible links many of those diseases too, but the studies are on obese individuals; not lean individuals who tend to be more insulin sensitive vs resistant. The application of such possibilities do NOT apply to the OP (again, still advocating for 90/10 or 80/20).

A person who is already struggling to get adequate calories, should not put a ton of extra limitations on their diet. While trying to add weight, you need an energy surplus. No matter how clean you eat, if you cannot achieve that constant metabolic state, you will fail. I can't tell you how many people come back here time and time again because they try to listen to the advice you give because they read online why you shouldn't eat added sugar.

In all reality, I'd take a look at some of the advice and knowledge from Dr. Layne Norton. He holds his PhD in nutritional science and has a ton of solid information. He was a record holder in powerlifting and bodybuilding. He is also a flexible dieter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKsdvGCGJw

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503952/bro-do-you-even-eat-clean/p1