May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started running I've been obsessed with the weather. :smile:
    I used to..... Now I go by the general rule that if it's not lightening, I'm running.... which has led to running in some "interesting" conditions.

The storms that @garygse referred to yesterday morning were over by the time I would normally start my morning run, but I didn't want to get my brand new shoes all dirty....yet! By the way, I love the Altra Escalantes!! My new fave shoe. They are much lighter than the Torins, yet they are cushioned yet springy feeling. The upper is a knit material so there's no rubbing. I'm hoping this helps with my black toenail.

@skippygirlsmom Happy birthday Skip!!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Happy Birthday to Skip!!! Anywhere you get to wear a crown or a tiara is a good breakfast place LOL.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 just saw your comment on Skip. Prom just didn't turn out like she expected. I should have warned her prom wasn't like high school musical ha ha
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    Chiming in on weather.. it was 75 by 6:30 this morning. We are supposed to get some nasty storms these next few evenings. I'm not sure what my plans are for a workout tonight. Maybe running the indoor track at the gym. I've already eliminated swimming since the pool will likely get shut down for lightning. Gotta love spring time in Oklahoma, right @Elise4270 ?

No doubt. I have 72 at 0430, sooo yuck! It's swampy here today. Humidity says 60 at 80F currently. It's so swampy.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty Hey congratulations on the new clothes! There are few things more exciting than new sizes and new running gear! I vote you our poster runner for the month of May!

LOL I'm testing out the new clothes at the gym today. My biggest concern is that the shorter shorts might ride up because I still have a little inner thigh flab. If all goes well, I'll take a picture. :smile:
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Interval training on Wednesday thighs have not forgiven me. Still manage a 6 miler this AM. I have been doing the 30 day squat lunge pushup challenge. I'm thinking this is contributing to much stress on my thighs. Big run on Saturday 16plus miles. Should be at 130 miles with a week and a half left of the month. Goal of 170 seems very reachable.
  • Freck135
    Freck135 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm in for May!
    Goal: 50 miles
    5/1-2.5
    5/3-6.0
    5/6-6.0
    5/10-4.5
    5/11-5.0
    5/12-4.0
    5/17-5.0
    5/18-4.0
    Total: 37 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @shanaber your post cracked me up. You all are so kind to my girl!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty Hey congratulations on the new clothes! There are few things more exciting than new sizes and new running gear! I vote you our poster runner for the month of May!

LOL I'm testing out the new clothes at the gym today. My biggest concern is that the shorter shorts might ride up because I still have a little inner thigh flab. If all goes well, I'll take a picture. :smile:

I don't feel I have (much) thigh flab, and my shorts crawl. Thank goodness for body glide. I swear it's a gait issue. @kristinegift wears the more fitted shorts and I had considered switching to those. But.... I just spent all my "extra" funds on softball stuff. Running has spoiled me- it's way cheaper!
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Date : Distance : Total
    05/01 : 4 miles : 4 miles
    05/03 : 4 miles : 8 miles
    05/06 : 4 miles : 12 miles
    05/10 : 5 miles (walk) : 17 miles
    05/11 : 4 miles (walk) : 21 miles

Foot felt better so drove to a flat, softer trail and managed 4 miles. Not continuing with the challenge this month, will try again in the fall after surgery recovery.

Reading others issues with heat made me smile as I was plodding along in 30F temps this morning - snowed yesterday ❄️❄️❄️

• skippygirlsmom
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @respectthekitty I recently found a couple pair of Nike Pro "spanks" they don't ride up at all. Skip wears Under Amour and Oiselle and swear Oiselle are the best ever! A friend has lululemon and swear they don't ride, but at like $80 for a pair of shorts no way.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5.1 miles. Fizzled a bit at the end of April, but good start to May.
    5/2 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work. Then quick upper body weights.
    5/3 - 5 miles. Nice, comfortable run.
    5/4 - Rest day.
    5/5 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning!
    5/6 - 10 miles with a ridiculous amount of incline/decline. My *kitten* hurts!
    5/7 - Rest day. See yesterday.
    5/8 - 4.8 miles. Perfect weather at 4:30 a.m.
    5/9 - 5 miles of track / speed work. Then upper body weights / abs.
    5/10 - 3.5 miles. Overslept, so had to cut it short.
    5/11 - 2.8 miles. Girls on the Run practice 5k with my daughter.
    5/12 - Pre-race rest day.
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay! So much fun! ~75 miles over 17 "legs" with a team of 6 other running friends. 5.3 miles (Leg 3), 5.1 miles (Leg 10) and 4.0 miles (Leg 17 + team finish). Total of 14.4 miles. Most I have ever run in one day. After the 5th leg, it was HOT! 80° F and sunny.
    5/14 - Rest day.
    5/15 - 4.8 miles.
    5/16 - Unplanned rest day. A/C died and sleeping in 85-90° house did not go well for kids and dog.
    5/17 - 4.0 'mill miles and upper body weights.
    5/18 - 5 miles through storm detritus.
    exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Ever since I started half marathon training I've been obsessed with the weather...

Yep. Gotta protect the long run!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    09/05 3.53 miles
    10/05 3.59 miles
    11/05 3.56 miles
    15/05 3.66 miles
    16/05 4.02 miles
    17/05 3.56 miles
    18/05 3.58 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @shanaber I love the electric light parade!

This is why this group is so great! Angry mobs chasing after adolescents for hurting someone AND discussing UTI treatments in the same conversation! You just don't get this anywhere else!

@karllundy ha ha we just have free association with our conversations!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Has been a few months since I entered the challenge. I know we're half way through the month but I hope I can still jump in.

I'm up to 58.44 km this month. No set goal to reach. Just using the challenge for motivation.

I've got a 14km race in a few weeks and have a chest infection/asthma at the moment so taking it easy. Not sure if I will be able to run much of the 14km though plan on resting for the next week and doing easy walks when I can. Have missed this group!