May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 best reason for a screen name I have ever heard. Just awesome.
    @karllundy enjoy the 5K tonight with your daughter
    @lporter229 I like your husband's style.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - That is a great screen name given the background! I got a little mixed up once I figured things out but never thought to ask.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    looking for a plan for my first marathon. I'm well prepared for my first half-marathon in 4weeks and I would like to plan my first full marathon for Oct. 14.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    05/02/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 5.9
    05/03/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 8.9
    05/04/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 12.9
    05/05/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 16.0
    05/06/17 :::: 10.0 :::: 26.0
    05/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 26.0
    05/08/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 29.9
    05/09/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 32.5
    05/10/17 :::: 5.1 :::: 37.6
    05/11/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 40.9
    05/12/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 43.9
    05/13/17 :::: 8.0 :::: 51.8
    05/14/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 51.8
    05/15/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 51.8
    05/16/17 :::: 4.5 :::: 56.4
    05/17/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 56.4
    05/18/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 59.4
    05/19/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 59.4
    05/20/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 62.0
    05/21/17 :::: 13.1 :::: 75.1
    05/22/17 :::: 1.0 :::: 76.1
    05/23/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 76.1
    05/24/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 78.7
    05/25/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 78.7
    05/26/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 81.4

I had to bring my car in for service today, and the service center was near-ish to a YMCA that I haven't been to before. It's a rainy, dreary day so I decided to try out the indoor track there. It's a gorgeous new Y and the track was decent. At least more interesting than a treadmill. I wish this Y were closer to me though because they have very nice facilities (including a lazy river pool where you can water run against the current!).

Hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @garygse Have a donut or two for me!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'm pretty one of the donuts in the box has your name all over it!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    there's this x-ray view I take on knee series called the "sunrise view" that sees if the patella is tracking correctly when the knee is bent. You lay down and bend your knee, then the xray shoots through the bent knee joint space. Just an FYI

@hesfeld Lay down on your back I am guessing??
    @JessicaMcB Considering your Red Deer Adventure - Have you had this x-ray ????
    @juliet3455 - That is a great screen name given the background! I got a little mixed up once I figured things out but never thought to ask.

@WhatMeRunning There is also the worry about Fraudsters data mining your different Social Media sites for personal info and hijacking your ID, so I tend to error on a screen name that has some logic in it but still protects my ID by not having a direct tie to me. A bit of a personal phobia.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    hesfeld wrote: »
    there's this x-ray view I take on knee series called the "sunrise view" that sees if the patella is tracking correctly when the knee is bent. You lay down and bend your knee, then the xray shoots through the bent knee joint space. Just an FYI

@hesfeld Lay down on your back I am guessing??
    @JessicaMcB Considering your Red Deer Adventure - Have you had this x-ray ????

@WhatMeRunning There is also the worry about Fraudsters data mining your different Social Media sites for personal info and hijacking your ID, so I tend to error on a screen name that has some logic in it but still protects my ID by not having a direct tie to me. A bit of a personal phobia.

I have had so many x-rays on these disasters I call knees I can't even count anymore- I'll have to ask my ortho! Ftr, I always knew you were a dude :D
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    looking for a plan for my first marathon. I'm well prepared for my first half-marathon in 4weeks and I would like to plan my first full marathon for Oct. 14.

Not a plan but a guide on how to use plans and maybe some help on how to pick a good one (or modify an existing one).

https://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/02/my-gripes-on-training-plans.html

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @Orphia - No, you don't taper for a long training run. You taper for a long race. The difference is, you do the training run slow but you want to run the race as fast as practical for your ability and physical conditioning. Hence, you want to be well rested for the race.

To add, in training, you don't do anything in your 1 workout that will have a negative effect for your next workout. For example, if you attempt to run a 20 mile training long run on Saturday when you're not ready to run a 20 mile training long run, then you risk not having the best workout when it's time for your next workout on Monday. In a race, you don't worry about Monday. If you need to take a week off, you take a week off after your race. In the race, you give it all your got, and you make sure that your body is well rested going into the race (thus the taper).

Training is all about an accumulation of all your workouts working together. You don't get big fitness improvements for that big PR because you had 1 great hard workout (and sacrificing your next 3). At the same time, you won't hurt your training just because you had 1 single bad workout. It's all about what you did over a period of time.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Great weather this morning, so I got another 5 in today. Hope to get a 5 - 6 mile hike in tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Okay girls... I don't know how legit this is. But if you are a new customer to Oiselle, here is 20$ towards a purchase. (If your not new, make a new account?). Because I love Oiselle and my runners :wink: :kissing_heart:

https://www.talkable.com/x/wmnESA

If it turns out to be a crap offer- like spend $xxx to get the 20, I'm sorry.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »

Not a plan but a guide on how to use plans and maybe some help on how to pick a good one (or modify an existing one).

https://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/02/my-gripes-on-training-plans.html

I love the article. I've been doing a lot of what he suggests. Primarily not worrying about speed/tempo runs and just focusing completing mileage to build up a base.

I'm not sure running 12 miles will ever feel "easy" enough to start focusing on speed/quality runs. I'm hoping if I keep plugging away at it I'll get there.

I'm almost done with my half marathon training plan and I'm not sure what I should do next. I'm thinking about repeating the training plan? Or should I keep trying to build up mileage?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I love the article. I've been doing a lot of what he suggests. Primarily not worrying about speed/tempo runs and just focusing completing mileage to build up a base.

I'm not sure running 12 miles will ever feel "easy" enough to start focusing on speed/quality runs. I'm hoping if I keep plugging away at it I'll get there.

I'm almost done with my half marathon training plan and I'm not sure what I should do next. I'm thinking about repeating the training plan? Or should I keep trying to build up mileage?

Depends on what your long term goals are. If you want to move up to marathons, increasing base mileage is always a good start (it would help for future HMs too). If you want to stick with Hm and shorter, you could work your Long Runs up to like 14 miles (past HM distance) to help build endurance. You could also add another "quality workout" to each week, a tempo run, cruise intervals, race pace runs, something to build stamina in addition to your endurance building.....

... So, I guess that's a long way of saying it really depends on what your goals are.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 5 miles - Steeple Chase 8K
    5/7 - rest day
    5/8 - 5 miles
    5/9 - 3 miles
    5/10 - rest day
    5/11 - 5 miles
    5/12 - 3 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles - Technicolor 5K and cool down
    5/14 - Mother's day and this Mother didn't run :wink:
    5/15 - 2 miles now this Mother was sorry she didn't run yesterday because this run was *kitten*
    5/16 - 6 miles
    5/17 - rest day
    5/18 - 4 miles
    5/19 - 6 very hot even at 5:30 am miles :smile:
    5/20 - 2 miles just to move the legs - ugh 80 degrees at 8:00 - I love summer!!
    5/21 - rest day
    5/22 - 5 miles
    5/23 - 0 miles
    5/24 - 0 miles
    5/25 - 0 miles
    5/26 - 4 miles (actually 4.5)

69 of 60 miles

Caught up with Skip at the Greenway, it was 86F when we started. She made the mistake of drinking way too much on the way to meet me and started throwing up around mile 2. We started to run back, but she couldn't. So I would run only far enough where she could still see me (and I could turn and see her) then I would run back to her. After she ate she was fine, I felt so bad for her, nothing worse than walking a little and having to stop and get sick.

My calves were still cramping, I stopped at mile 1 to stretch them and again a mile 2 and then no cramps at all.