May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I can't think of a better 5k we all could run this year <3 . Does the virtual take international registrants? I tried to take a peek but the mobile site is hating my phone :/
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @HonuNui I can't think of a better 5k we all could run this year <3 . Does the virtual take international registrants? I tried to take a peek but the mobile site is hating my phone :/

I don't know if they do accept international, but if they don't, feel free to donate under a participant's name, and I will make sure you get the t-shirt and medal if you pm me the details!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats@MobyCarp! You are having an incredible year!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats@MobyCarp! You are having an incredible year!!

I'm going to echo this. @MobyCarp you are a total beast!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    A little over 10 miles after a late start this morning (72F and about 70% humidity - nice compared to what many of you are dealing with)! A lot of walking and some stops but some good running in between. I learned a little something about fueling and how I feel when I have something to eat even early on in the run. I realized about 2 miles in that I had eaten my pre-run food almost 2 hours before I actually got out the door and maybe that was why I felt so sluggish. I ate a bit of my Curate bar and a little while later I felt so much better. I did the same thing at 6 miles and I think it made all the difference in being able to actually finish 10 miles. Also MMR had issues around 4 miles and told me I was running 8 min miles! What!?! I stopped it and restarted it and then it was fine. What is weird is it shows my overall pace for those miles as 8 and change but when I look at the pace over time it is below 10 once and my overall average (from my watch and not MMR) with the walking was 12 and about where I expected it to be. I also did not count one of those miles in the overall distance because I knew it was not correct.

@HonuNui - I am in for the virtual! Don't tempt me with that ocean view and maitais! If it weren't so close to my daughter's wedding I would definitely consider coming in person.
    @MobyCarp - Awesome race especially for just deciding on a whim to run it! Congratulations!
    @RespectTheKitty - Love the baby geese picture! We have lots of geese and lots of nests but no babies yet.

Date........Miles.......Total
    05/01......0.00........0.00 - Agility trial
    05/02......0.00........0.00 - Rally/Obedience trial
    05/03......4.78........4.78 - Del Mar run
    05/04......4.14........8.92
    05/05......0.00........8.92 - Spin class
    05/06......0.00........8.92 - Spin class followed by Barre class
    05/07......0.00........8.92 - Much needed rest!
    05/08......5.68......14.60 - + Agility Class
    05/09......6.22......20.82 - + Strength Training
    05/10......0.00......20.82
    05/11......0.00......20.82 - + Strength Training
    05/12......5.63......26.45
    05/13......8.64......35.09
    05/14......2.00......37.09 - Dog Beach Mother's Day
    05/15......5.28......42.37
    05/16......5.28......47.65 - + Strength Training
    05/17......0.00......47.65
    05/18......5.47......53.12 - + Strength Training
    05/19......0.00......53.12 - Migraine
    05/20......6.62......59.74 - Terrible run...
    05/21......0.00......59.74
    05/22......3.40......63.14
    05/23......5.40......68.54 - + Strength Training
    05/24......5.46......74.00
    05/25......0.00......74.00 - + Strength Training
    05/26......5.20......79.20
    05/27....10.32......89.52

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I don't know if it is because they are a few years old (the rechargeable batteries probably get worse with age), or if it is because I keep the volume up. Last time the Jaybirds died before I finished, it was about 2 hrs.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I want to be like @MobyCarp when I grow up- holy racing prowess Batman!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Adding in the 3.5 miles from this mornings trail run:

exercise.png

I am past due on replacing my trail running shoes. After the problem I encountered when I got the wrong shoes for road running (runner's knee), I wanted to get a gait analysis before buying a new pair. Though I do a lot more road running these days, I might not be able to get by that long before replacing these. I might have to find a running store closer than 5 hrs. drive that can do it when I'm free... or plan a trip. It might be worth it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Super job @mobycarp
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - You can stick with 5k's and get faster. Are you doing any speedwork faster than tempo intervals? Some sprint intervals are a good occasional workout for 5k runners. They don't really offer any benefit to 10k's or further, but can help for 5k.

I haven't been doing sprint intervals, but I will look into that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---3.11
    4---5.16
    6---6.62
    7---2.4 walk
    9---4.64
    10th-15th in Georgia- lots of walking and ghost tours.
    14---5.23 beach run
    16---4.22
    18---4.87
    20---5.42
    21---4.26
    23---4.53
    24--- gym: stairs, abs, elliptical, Bring Sally Up
    25---4.1
    27---6.45 90°F (32C) feels like 104 (40C). Horrible attempt at running.

54.56/60

UPCOMING RACES

July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

@HonuNui yes!!! That'll be the perfect place to get a tattoo. I'm in for the virtual run too! We'll see how serious DH is about making the Hawaii trip this year!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Anyone interested in a MFP Monthly Challenge team?

@WhatMeRunning I am in - if you set it up just let us know account / naming details so we can join.
    Depends on what your long term goals are. // increasing base mileage is always a good start (it would help for future HMs too). If you want to stick with HM and shorter, you could work your Long Runs up to like 14 miles (past HM distance) to help build endurance.... So, I guess that's a long way of saying it really depends on what your goals are.

@MNLittleFinn & @MobyCarp Guilty of not doing the HM + Distance - which would definitely help my HM performance. I also am guilty of not following the 35% rule. Have had weeks where life/work interfered with my planned schedule and then would get the call from a fellow runner who wanted to knock off a 20km Training Run for their HM training cycle. Which made my LR 50% of weekly. Just a recipe for injury. As has been said we can be pretty stupid some times.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    The other way is to stay in shape to complete a half just about any time you want. To do that, you build your base up to 30 to 35 miles per week, and just keep running that far with a long run of at least 10 miles each week. That pretty much keeps you in shape to complete a half any time you want. If you want to complete a half comfortably, you might want to build the base a bit higher and stretch the longest long run up to 16 miles.
    Will definitely have to up my Training cycle.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    One of the benefits of early morning running is that when things jiggle around down there and I end up 'dressing to the wrong side', no one has to witness my manual interventions to get things back in order. Race day's a different matter completely though...one day I'm sure someone's race picture will be completely ruined by me being in the background with my hand down my shorts, lol.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! LOVE IT!
    ETA We should totally race together! And a wardrobe malfunction.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/how-to-keep-your-junk-in-your-shorts
    The look on the one ladies face in the background when she reviews the picture on her smartphone :D

And that one of the reasons why I no longer buy Running Shorts that have a built in liner.
    I usually have a undergarment like SAXX with a higher compression effect, longer legs and a special " Pouch / Hammock " for the junk. Comfort and confidence that I won't be getting arrested for excessive Northern Exposure B) . But like any garment they all have a Best Before Date where they should be retired to the trash.

Dear @juliet3455 I have no idea how to say this, so just assume this is a non-prying query as to the juxtaposition of that post and your username. Feel free to answer or not answer as you wish.

Just felt I might not be the only regular in here who's often been mildly baffled but not wanting to make a big deal about such juxtapositions in the past. :smile:

HAHAHAHAHA!! @Orphia, WRT this conversation, whenever you used juxtaposition all I could think about was junk to position. Clever word play?

@ctlaws44 Hahahaha sorry, not intentional, I'm not that clever!! :smiley: