May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Does anyone have experience using marathon pace bands for racing? I was thinking about getting/making one so I don't have to do as much math in my head on race day.

I actually made 3 of them for my first marathon (cause I kept changing my goal time like an idiot). I don't remember which one I put around my wrist, I think it was the one based upon a 3:35 time. But I ran with the 3:40 pace group and ignored the wrist band. Long story short, my pace was still probably too fast and I ended up finishing with a 3:50 time.

At KDF, they were giving out free wrist bands. They only made them for finishing times that matched their pace groups (which coincided with Boston qualification times). I wanted to finish 3:20 but the closest bands were 3:15 and 3:25. So I took the 3:25 band and actually wore it on my right wrist (my Garmin is on my left). I don't think I checked it past mile 2 but I had it just in case.

There are websites that you can custom create your own and print it out. My suggestion is to either print it on special paper, or create your own lamination with Scotch tape (which is what I did the first time around). If you sweat a lot, the paper will get compromised and fall off your wrist. You may want to run a few test runs with a sample wrist band to see if it bothers your wrist. it didn't for me.
  • Stoshew71
    edited May 2017
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I'm watching the news and they just classified the humidity as oppressive - lol

I knew it wasn't my imagination! It's only in the 70ies, but I was really sweating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 I was thinking about printing one off and seeing how it felt. If it doesn't work, I could always just figure out a few splits, like every 10k, and just work on remembering... Only hard part is the clocks at the splits will, of course, be wrong for me, since they have gun time, ant I'll be a good 5-6 minutes behind that.

It's crazy, I'm actually far enough along to start thinking about this stuff some!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 I was thinking about printing one off and seeing how it felt. If it doesn't work, I could always just figure out a few splits, like every 10k, and just work on remembering... Only hard part is the clocks at the splits will, of course, be wrong for me, since they have gun time, ant I'll be a good 5-6 minutes behind that.

It's crazy, I'm actually far enough along to start thinking about this stuff some!

You will have your Garmin, so you won't need the clocks. Most of the larger marathons that I have done gave pace bands out at the expo.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    You will have your Garmin, so you won't need the clocks. Most of the larger marathons that I have done gave pace bands out at the expo.
    I'll be looking for that. I'm pretty sure that I'm stressing this just because it's a rest day, and I'm at the point where I can see the end of training. Other things is, I have to remember that with my race plan I won't follow exact splits..... LOL..... so many things to think about!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @Orphia - The 35% is for all weekly mileage including the long run. Another way to check that you got it right is to triple your long run mileage, your grand total weekly mileage should not be less than triple your long run.

Thank you, @WhatMeRunning ! That puts it in terms I understand.

Say, who writes your cool training program, or do you plan it yourself?

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    The other thing I wanted to point out is that your distance for your long run should be no more than 35% of your weekly mileage, and closer to the 25% of your weekly mileage is better.

I may have asked before, but I can never get it straight... Does the 35% include the long run? Is everyone WAY better at maths and calculus than me???

OK! Example:

Mon 10 miles
    Tue 10 miles
    Wed 5 miles
    Thu 10 miles
    Fri 5 miles
    Sat 15 miles
    Sun 0 miles

Total miles for the week is 55 miles. Long run is 15 miles.

x/100 = 15/55 = 1500/55 = 27.27272727....

So a long run of 15 miles makes up 27% of your weekly miles if the total for the week was 55 miles.

Thanks! But if I don't know how far to run my long run on Saturday to make it 35%, how do I work it out, other than trial and error?

If you'll settle for 33%, the long run would be half the distance of the rest of the week. So if you're tracking a Sunday to Saturday week, add the miles you ran Sunday through Friday and divide by 2. If you're tracking a Monday to Sunday week, add the miles you ran Monday through Friday and what you plan to run Sunday, and divide that by 2.

Example:

Sun 6 miles
    Mon 10 miles
    Tues 6 miles
    Wed 12 miles
    Thurs 4 miles
    Fri Rest

Total Sunday through Friday = 38
    Long run 38/2 = 19 miles
    Total week = 38 + 19 = 57 miles
    Long run % = 19 / 57 = 33.3%

By this guideline, it's okay to run *less* than 19 miles as your long run; but with the 33% guideline, you need a 60 mile week to support a 20 mile long run. IOW, you need 40 miles Sun through Fri to support 20 miles Saturday.

I will always emphasize that this isn't an exercise in determining how far to run the long run. The long run distance should already be determined, and this should be an exercise in determining how much of a base you need to support the long run. So if you have a long run of 20 miles planned, you should plan a week with 40 miles (or more) total on the other days.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    5/1= 3 mile run + 1 hour kettlebell workout
    5/2 = rest day
    5/3 = 6 mile run
    5/4 = 6 mile run
    5/5 = forced rest day due to work schedule :(
    5/6 = 7.5 miles
    5/7 = 11 miles
    5/8 = 5.5 miles & strength training
    5/9 = Vinyasa yoga class
    5/10 = 6 miles
    5/11 = 6.5 miles & strength training
    5/12 = 7 miles
    5/13 = vinyasa yoga class
    5/14 = 10 miles
    5/15 = 5.5 miles & strength training
    5/16 = Vinyasa yoga class & 6 miles
    5/17 = Rest Day
    5/18 = 8.5 miles
    5/19 = 5.5 miles & kettlebell class
    5/20 = Hatha yoga class
    5/21 = 12 miles
    5/22 = 5 miles & strength training
    5/23 = vinyasa yoga class
    5/24 = 9.5 miles
    5/25 = 5.5 miles & strength training

Apparently, I need to make a more ambitious goal for June. :)

May Goal 126/125 miles

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    A muggy 5 miles today. I felt ok until the last mile. It felt like I was slogging through mud the last mile! I'm glad I finished.

High humidity gets me every time. Running becomes exponentially less pleasant the more humid it becomes.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles
    5/3/17: 3.5 miles
    5/4/17: 3.1miles
    5/6/17: 3.1 miles
    5/7/17: 3.5 miles
    5/9/17: 4.1 miles
    5/10/17: 3.5 miles
    5/12/17: 2.5 miles
    5/14/17: 3.5 miles
    5/16/17: 3.8 miles
    5/18/17: 3.2 miles
    5/20/17: 3.1 miles
    5/21/17: 3.1 miles
    5/23/17: 3.3 miles
    5/25/17: 2.2 miles

49.5/50 miles

Oh so close to my goal. I wish I could have gotten another half mile in, but I ran out of time. I did my run during my lunch hour today. It was only 88F and it is supposed to be 99F or even 100F when I get off this afternoon so i decided to run while I could. It is supposed to get up to 103F tomorrow
    I'm not sure if I am ready for that. I did have a good run though. I have been stressing about changing my routine up when it gets hot, but I think lunchtime is doable if it isn't too hot. Of course in Texas there will be months where it is still hot at midnight so it really is just a matter of what one considers too hot. 88F wasn't too bad for me today.

exercise.png

• springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    05/03-- 2, 05/05--2, 05/07--3, 05/08--3, 05/09--4, 05/10--4, 05/11-- Rest
    05/12--4.5, 05/13--2, 05/14--4, 05/15--3, 05/16-- 3, 05/17--2
    5/18-- Rest
    5/19-- 3 miles
    5/20-- 4 miles
    5/21-- 1.5
    5/22 -- rest
    5/23-- rest
    5/24-- 3 miles
    Total 46 miles!
  • Stoshew71
    edited May 2017
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Okay, so what is up with my nose running like crazy while I am running? This just started last week and it is not allergies as I have no issues otherwise.
    Happens to me all the time. I have a deviated septum, but no real allergies, so I'm assuming it's me getting rid of gunk. Your body is probably just clearing everything out. Once you get the hang of blowing snot rockets, it won't phase you, you'll just blast them off and keep going.

:D I definitely thought about it but the park was crowded yesterday.

you'll get over worrying about that too... LOL

I've stopped worrying about any of that. Snot rockets, butt scratching, loogie horking, you name it. I think I'm just too old to care anymore.

@RespectTheKitty haha! Mee too! I always get caught pulling my shorts out of my thighs, and if I sneeze I now have to stop, cross my legs, hold it like a little kid with my hands so I don't pee myself. Of course, runnin' that's not always easy, so I pee myself and then get caught assessing how bad I peed myself. Hahaha!
    One of the benefits of early morning running is that when things jiggle around down there and I end up 'dressing to the wrong side', no one has to witness my manual interventions to get things back in order. Race day's a different matter completely though...one day I'm sure someone's race picture will be completely ruined by me being in the background with my hand down my shorts, lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! LOVE IT!

ETA We should totally race together! And a wordrobe malfunction.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/how-to-keep-your-junk-in-your-shorts

I think it definitely adds new meaning to the term 'jostling for position'. :smile:

That article was hilarious! Thankfully my shorts are quite long, so I'd need to have balls that swing down by my knees in order to experience that particular problem.

The guy in the picture at the top of the article. You see the spectator looking down with that face of, "I can't unlook what I just looked at".

Then there's the blonde in the brown jacket looking at her phone. She probably snapped a picture and immediately noticed.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 5 miles - Steeple Chase 8K
    5/7 - rest day
    5/8 - 5 miles
    5/9 - 3 miles
    5/10 - rest day
    5/11 - 5 miles
    5/12 - 3 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles - Technicolor 5K and cool down
    5/14 - Mother's day and this Mother didn't run :wink:
    5/15 - 2 miles now this Mother was sorry she didn't run yesterday because this run was *kitten*
    5/16 - 6 miles
    5/17 - rest day
    5/18 - 4 miles
    5/19 - 6 very hot even at 5:30 am miles :smile:
    5/20 - 2 miles just to move the legs - ugh 80 degrees at 8:00 - I love summer!!
    5/21 - rest day
    5/22 - 5 miles
    5/23 - 0 miles
    5/24 - 0 miles
    5/25 - 0 miles

65 of 60 miles

Life got insane for some reason so I haven't run the last few days. Wasn't concerned I missed Tuesday, then Wednesday I was home from work running errands and the day got away from me. Took Skip to a concert (Train) just South of Birmingham (almost 2 hours South of us) and didn't get home until 1:00 am and it was all I could do to get up at 6:30 for work. I'm too old for that *kitten*. I'll get out there tomorrow for sure if not later.

Going back to read everything. Thanks for the input everyone who replied on the calves, I'm hydrating much better the past few days. The folks sitting at the end of the row at the concert probably wanted to kill me because I went back and forth so much ha ha

Dying at the wardrobe malfunction! Oh my!

@honunui awesome tat. I have a couple, love them.

Races:

5/6 - Steeple Chase 8K - 3 in AG
    5/13 - Technicolor 5K - 2 in AG
    5/29 - Cotton Row 10K
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried a forearm phone holder, something like this?
    71BYBgO2UcL._SX522_.jpg

Seems like it would be easier to get to than on my bicep. And armbands don't usually have long enough straps for me.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Today I ran only 3.75 Km (one lap around my area) because I did 10 minutes of technique drills beforehand. I also beat my personal best for a lap around my area which used to be 19m20s and is now 18m55s :D If I keep that pace for a 5K that would be around 25m15s which is getting close to my first goal of a 25 minute 5K!

I slacked off mid-month so I can't reach my initial goal but I am aiming for 60 KM for this month.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---3.11
    4---5.16
    6---6.62
    7---2.4 walk
    9---4.64
    10th-15th in Georgia- lots of walking and ghost tours.
    14---5.23 beach run
    16---4.22
    18---4.87
    20---5.42
    21---4.26
    23---4.53
    24--- gym: stairs, abs, elliptical, Bring Sally Up
    25---4.1 so hot, so slow.

54.56/60

UPCOMING RACES

July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.