May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Today's morning run was with the group. And when I say group, I really mean one other person, as everyone else bailed for one reason or another. Maybe they all believed Accuweather when it said it would rain? Which it didn't.

01 - 13.50
    02 - 10.58
    03 - 13.49
    04 - 9.80
    05 - 20.14
    08 - 12.99
    09 - 9.77
    10 - 13.42
    11 - 5.69
    12 - 20.28
    15 - 6.01
    16 - 8.04
    18 - 8.31
    19 - 13.41
    22 - 13.44
    23 - 9.16

Total: 188.03 / 225 miles
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Four miles at easy effort today to maintain mileage and fitness, and to aid recovery from yesterday's long run with tempo intervals. I was a bit tight at first but loosened up and finished with a great pace. It was cool and misty out so that probably made the pace that nice.

5/1 - 8 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - 8 miles
    5/4 - 4 miles
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 9 miles
    5/7 - 4 miles
    5/8 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 4 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - rest
    5/12 - more rest
    5/13 - 13 miles (plus 0.1)
    5/14 - 4 miles
    5/15 - 8 miles
    5/16 - 4 miles
    5/17 - 8 miles
    5/18 - 4 miles
    5/19 - rest
    5/20 - 13.5 miles
    5/21 - 4 miles
    5/22 - 8 miles
    5/23 - 4 miles

123.5 of 180 miles completed

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @mirelaavdich - When I can't find the time to fit in both my running and strength training, I try to improvise with the strength training and fit it in in bits and pieces throughout the day: calf raises on the steps at lunch time, squats while cooking dinner, lunges while walking the dog, etc. OTOH, I am the one who is on a six week hiatus from running due to an injury, so maybe I am not the best person to be giving advice.

• snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options

5/1 - 3.5 mi.
    5/2 - rest
    5/3 - 6.2 mi
    5/4 - 4.5 mi.
    5/5 - 3.8 mi.
    5/6 - 3.1 (5K race)
    5/7 - rest
    5/8 - 5.2 mi.
    5/9 - 3.7 mi.
    5/10 - 3.8 mi.
    5/11 - rest (legs needed it)
    5/12 - 5.2 mi.
    5/13 - 3.2mi.
    5/17 - 2.2mi.
    5/22 - 3.1mi.
    5/23- 3.1mi.

May goal: 50.6/100mi.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to bed last night as early as I wanted. Got up at 4:30 this morning for my group run and heard it pouring. I said screw it and went back to bed for another hour. I only got in 5 this morning, but plan to do a double during lunch time to make up for the shortened miles.

Date Miles today - Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 REST DAY
    5/3 REST DAY
    5/4 REST DAY
    5/5 REST DAY
    5/6 REST DAY
    5/7 REST DAY <<<<<<< marathon recovery
    5/8 4.25 miles - 4.25
    5/9 5 miles - 9.25
    5/10 REST DAY
    5/11 5 miles - 14.25
    5/12 REST DAY
    5/13 12 miles - 26.25
    5/14 REST DAY
    5/15 6.2 miles - 32.45
    5/16 7.25 miles - 39.7
    5/17 4 miles - 43.7
    5/18 7 miles - 50.7
    5/19 REST DAY
    5/20 14 miles - 64.7
    5/21 REST DAY
    5/22 7 miles - 71.7
    5/23 5 miles - 76.7

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 it was definitely pouring, I did the same, looked out the window and went back to bed.
    @jessicamcB super race in-spite of it not being what you were looking for, sorry about the knees, ouch ouch ouch!
    @juliet3455 I'm dying laughing at the golf ball story and I'll be sure to keep in mind that green grass is softer LOL
    @girlinahat love the pictures from Italy, enjoy!
    @katiejane83 I've been waiting for your report, it was a fun read. Congrats on the super time and your OA and AG placement, fantastic! I had to laugh at the drinking out of a cup, I'm lucky to get one sip, you'll have to video and show us your technique :smiley:

Did run today woke up and it was raining, which is probably okay. My torn labrum nerve was talking to me during the run last night and still a bit this morning. The ortho said I would know the pain was the labrum nerve when it came from my hip and curved in towards my groin and that would be it. Since I'm at goal I figured an extra day off wouldn't hurt.

Also question for you all. For the first time ever I have been having really really really tight calves during my runs, like a painful stiff feeling. Last night I stopped at mile 1 and stretched and it was annoying after that. I do dynamic stretching before and static after so it's kinda weird. Could it be a hydration issue? Gotta admit I've been at hydrating lately. thanks!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great race @KatieJane83! Love the pics!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job @KatieJane83 ! In wings and a tutu none the less. No doubt you will be cruising to a sub 2 HM very soon. I can't see you pics yet because our internet has been bonkers at work, but I am sure you were adorable!

@skippygirlsmom- Sorry to hear you are having pains. And yes, the calf cramping can definitely be a hydration issue.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @katiejane83 I've been waiting for your report, it was a fun read. Congrats on the super time and your OA and AG placement, fantastic! I had to laugh at the drinking out of a cup, I'm lucky to get one sip, you'll have to video and show us your technique :smiley:

Also question for you all. For the first time ever I have been having really really really tight calves during my runs, like a painful stiff feeling. Last night I stopped at mile 1 and stretched and it was annoying after that. I do dynamic stretching before and static after so it's kinda weird. Could it be a hydration issue? Gotta admit I've been at hydrating lately. thanks!

Thanks @skippygirlsmom ! In regards to the cup, it's gonna sound a little strange, but this is what worked for me. First, squish the opening, so instead of it being a wide circle, it's a narrow oblong opening. Then, and this was the real game changer for me, lmao, was to not try to put the cup to my lips and sip. That makes the cup bounce around too much, because I'm bouncing around. Instead, I kind of gently sloshed or threw mouthfuls of water into my mouth. I know, it sounds weird and it's hard to explain, but that made all the difference for me!

For the calves, I think hydration could be an issue. Also, maybe being low in magnesium?

Thank you @snowyne !
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB - I don't understand subluxated knees, but I'm intimately familiar with the phenomenon of getting too ambitious early in the marathon. You have a lot of company in that department!

@mirelaavdich - Time management can be a challenge when training for a major race and also holding down a full time job. You find what works for you; I fit minor strength exercises in while waiting for my steel cut oats to simmer in the morning. That's when I do my weighted calf raises, my kettlebell work, and a couple of exercises my PT gave me after my first Boston.

@KatieJane83 - Congratulations on a great race! I'm always impressed by people who can turn in good race times while running in costume.

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice. I ran 16.78 miles last Saturday and I am scheduled for a long run this Saturday. Question do I go for it and try to run closer to 20 miles.(That would be a personal best) or is it just as well to run 14-15 miles and try a longer run in another week? I am hoping to run my first marathon in October. I have my first half-marathon race scheduled for June 24th. I am still on a half-marathon training schedule which I have adapted to include longer long runs.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

It could also be that your hip issues is causing you to land and push off differently which is engaging your calf muscles in a new way?

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Thanks for the race report! I love the costume, right down to the little pom-poms on your running shoes. :smile:

My first HM will be at the end of November so I have a feeling tank tops and tutus will be out of the question. Unless I can fit a tutu on top of my running tights and jacket....... hmm...
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Speaking of races, I just got the course map for the 10k I'm doing on the 3rd. It'll be going around the Wheaton College campus and then back around through a park before it comes to the finish line. Should be a nice run. Packet pick up is a week from tomorrow. I am getting nervous. Weather reports says mostly sunny, so that's good. Would hate for my first race to be in the rain, although it wouldn't be the end of the world.

My biggest worry is doing like @midwesterner85 and going the wrong way on the course. I plan to bring the map with me just in case. Couldn't hurt, right? I'm going to be wearing my belt so I'll keep it in there and pull it out if I need to. It may make me look like a total noob, but guess what... I *am* a total noob!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)
    5/2 5mi 44:35min
    5/3 rest
    5/4 5mi 44:20min
    5/5 4mi 37:27min
    5/6 11mi 1:43:14min
    5/7 rest <- but I spent 7 hours painting!!!
    5/8 7mi 1:06:29min
    5/9 5mi 45:31min
    5/10 rest
    5/11 5mi 43:55min
    5/12 4mi 36:09min
    5/13 12mi 1:54:33min
    5/14 rest
    5/15 5mi 43:03min
    5/16 5mi 45:31min
    5/17 rest
    5/18 5mi 44:53min
    5/19 4mi 37:04min
    5/20 11mi 1:52:05min
    5/21 rest
    5/22 10mi 1:37:34min
    5/23 5mi 46:44min

A slow 5 miles on the treadmill today. I'm just glad I finished without stopping.

My hip has been hurting lately. I turned my ankle a few weeks ago and I wonder if I'm compensating for the sore ankle. I just got new sneakers so I'm pretty sure it's not my shoes.

Rest day tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to the 12 miler on Saturday...
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Looking for advice. I ran 16.78 miles last Saturday and I am scheduled for a long run this Saturday. Question do I go for it and try to run closer to 20 miles.(That would be a personal best) or is it just as well to run 14-15 miles and try a longer run in another week? I am hoping to run my first marathon in October. I have my first half-marathon race scheduled for June 24th. I am still on a half-marathon training schedule which I have adapted to include longer long runs.

The main thing about increasing mileage is to track what you are doing weekly, not just one individual run. There are different thoughts on how you increase your weekly mileage (from the 10% rule- to a mile a week to unique coaching methods which includes things like Jack Daniels who prescribes increasing the number of miles by the number of runs you run in a week and hold that for 4 weeks.).

The other thing I wanted to point out is that your distance for your long run should be no more than 35% of your weekly mileage, and closer to the 25% of your weekly mileage is better.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »

The main thing about increasing mileage is to track what you are doing weekly, not just one individual run. There are different thoughts on how you increase your weekly mileage (from the 10% rule- to a mile a week to unique coaching methods which includes things like Jack Daniels who prescribes increasing the number of miles by the number of runs you run in a week and hold that for 4 weeks.).

The other thing I wanted to point out is that your distance for your long run should be no more than 35% of your weekly mileage, and closer to the 25% of your weekly mileage is better.

In addition to the limit as a percent of weekly miles, I have a buddy who follows the rule that his long run should be less than 10 miles longer than his second longest run of the week. That's not typically an issue when training for a half, but in training for a full marathon it's another guideline for *how* to keep the long run at less than 35% of the weekly mileage.

More directly to the issue raised by @cburke8909 - I don't see the benefit of running longer than about 16 miles in training for a half, and there's a lot of time left before a full marathon in October. I'd look to consolidate the ability to run 16 miles well before stretching to 18 and then 20, and I'd look to building total weekly miles and the midweek medium long run in advance of stretching the longest run to 20 miles. Developing the ability solidly is more important than getting there quickly.