5/8 – 5.23 easy
    5/9 – 8.16 warm up, speed work, cool down
    5/10 – 5.66 group run
    5/11 – 7.25 easy plus 5 strides
    5/12 – rest day
    5/13 – 15.07 paced run

May total to date – 83.59

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Build base. 5/28, start training plan toward MVP Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – 53º F (12º C), overcast, and minimal wind made for great running. The forecast had rain and showers, but the precipitation held off till after the run. Only one trainee for this run, but she's in peak condition right now. The other pace leader is near peak condition as well, and we ran the first 8 miles a bit faster than the target 8:00 pace. Then the other pace leader dropped out because he's tapering, and my trainee requested we adhere to the target 8:00 more strictly. Okay, I can do that. Ran the next 7 more relaxed, and finished with an average pace of 8:02 for the 15 miles.

Poor selfie skills meant I didn't get the lake in the background at the scenic selfie stop; but fortunately I had thought to take a picture of the lake before the run started.

rn8ix3q7fnex.jpg
    4iav2l43mr6i.jpg
    qffalh70j30f.png

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Rochester, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

How did I get singled out as crazy????? LOL

You represent our crazy tribe the best it seems, haha!
    Well, I'll take that as a badge of honor! LOL
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    2/5 - 3.2
    4/5 - 3.2
    6/5 - 3.3
    7/5-3.3
    8/5 - 3.3
    9/5 - 3.2
    11/5 - 4.0
    13/5 - 4.0

total - 27.5/80 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Awesome run both of you! Sounds like you have an awesome day!

Forgot to update my mileage earlier. At 101.1 for the month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning a hard/bad race is still a good day, and you did a great job keeping to your goal, just keep that in mind. Great run/race!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow runners!

Plan is at full speed:

5/2: 7k -Urban-
    5/3: 9k -Urban-
    5/5: 10k -Intervals-
    5/6: 5k -as c/d from strangth training-
    5/7: 7.7k -easy-
    5/8: 2k -as c/d from legs training-
    5/9: 17k -LR-
    5/12: 7.5k -regeneration run-
    5/13: 8.5k -fartlek-

Tappering week starting at Monday. maybe some swimming will do the trick together with reduced running milage.

Aim: 74/140k

Upcoming races: Under Armor Run ThessalonikiI City Challenge HF 2017

Stay free of injuries!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MsHarryWinston welcome. Tons of great folks in this group/challenge, who have tons of experience. They have really helped me grow as a runner. So if you ever need advice just ask!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @MsHarryWinston welcome. Tons of great folks in this group/challenge, who have tons of experience. They have really helped me grow as a runner. So if you ever need advice just ask!

Thanks very much!
    I've got some brand new running shoes on the way. Can't wait to break them in!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @whatmerunning great job today. I agree with @mobycarp it's best to have a not so wonderful time and finish than to DNF.

@mnlittlefinn thanks!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Thanks very much!
    I've got some brand new running shoes on the way. Can't wait to break them in!

Nothing like breaking in a new pair of new shoes.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I got a UTI and had to go to a clinic place because it is Saturday. I told the Dr that I was a runner and cyclist and when I go get my script (2 of them) one of them is Ciprofloxacin.... I never read the warnings because I don't like to know what might happen (everything other the sun). But the pharmacist comes out to tell me that I can easily rupture a tendon on this - and for months afterwards. WHAT!? I asked him why he was telling me this and he said it's a new policy that for anyone who takes something new they have to tell them the possible side effects (I guess for people like me that won't read it). So I asked Dr. Google and it does seem like it can happen ... but from what I read people are just very cautious on it. Run slow and if they feel any pain, they stop.

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training
    5/2 - 3.5 miles
    5/3 - 21 miles cycling
    5/4 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/5 - rest day
    5/6 - 34 miles cycling
    5/7 - 43 miles cycling
    5/8 - 4.6 miles + strength training
    5/9 - rest day
    5/10 - 4.5 miles + cycling 21 miles
    5/11 - strength training
    5/12 - 4.6 miles
    5/13 - 34 miles cycling

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I heard about the cipro and some even claim it causes irreversible lifelong risk of tendon damage. Unfortunately my husband has taken tons of it years ago. Too bad it's Saturday and you can't easily call another dr and ask for a different prescription. I had a uti last summer and was given something different that worked fine. Be careful:(
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Ugh! I got a UTI and had to go to a clinic place because it is Saturday. I told the Dr that I was a runner and cyclist and when I go get my script (2 of them) one of them is Ciprofloxacin.... I never read the warnings because I don't like to know what might happen (everything other the sun). But the pharmacist comes out to tell me that I can easily rupture a tendon on this - and for months afterwards. WHAT!? I asked him why he was telling me this and he said it's a new policy that for anyone who takes something new they have to tell them the possible side effects (I guess for people like me that won't read it). So I asked Dr. Google and it does seem like it can happen ... but from what I read people are just very cautious on it. Run slow and if they feel any pain, they stop.

The doctor in me is compelled to tell you that this complication is VERY rare. The patient in me (er....the one who took the cipro doses out of the drug sample closet when she had a uti....) will tell you that it DOES happen...as it did to me. Be cautious.