May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    It just occurred to me why I may be so tired and having trouble waking up the past few days. The doctor changed to dosage of one of my medications on Tuesday. And coincidentally enough, I've been tired on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. So I guess I shouldn't beat myself up too much about this. But I definitely plan to get up early tomorrow and go for that long run. :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I have been loving the P90X3 videos. I think these workouts are absolutely great for runners. I know @BEERRUNNER has done them and said they really helped with her running. They are similar to the original P90X, but are shorter (only 30 minutes each) and focus A LOT less on weight lifting and more on agility, balance, flexibility, etc. All of those things that help us as runners. If anyone, like myself, struggles to do supplementary strength training for lack of a structured program, I highly recommend the investment. After all, it's only a new pair of shoes, or a race entry fee...

@lporter229 Are these on DVD or available for download or streaming? I would love to try these but I don't have a DVD player.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)
    5/2 5mi 44:35min
    5/3 rest
    5/4 5mi 44:20min
    5/5 4mi 37:27min
    5/6 11mi 1:43:14min
    5/7 rest <- but I spent 7 hours painting!!!
    5/8 7mi 1:06:29min
    5/9 5mi 45:31min
    5/10 rest
    5/11 5mi 43:55min
    5/12 4mi 36:09min

Ran with my husband this morning. He's a good sport because I am much slower than he is. We ran through a light rain which felt nice since I overdressed for it.

I'm psyching myself up to run 12 miles in the rain tomorrow. I won't melt! I'm hoping for light rain and not a downpour. I'm a little worried about chafing if I get soaked.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD set which I received as a Christmas gift, but I think you may be able to stream them from the Beach Body website. I think they have an on-demand membership which gives you access to all of their programs for a monthly fee.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Been focusing more on strength training this week. Goal is to catch up a little this weekend and get some more miles in. Happy Friday everyone!

blk-exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    rf5v6ut856yh.png

@lporter229 I wanted to thank you for your advise back awhile ago about mixing in tempo,mp pace into my routine runs at random intervals. It's helped me break up my longer runs when I remember to do it.

Certainly! Glad to know I was able to help somebody!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Rest day for me today, woot. Tomorrow morning I have an 8am flight out of NY to LAX, and Sunday morning at 5:30 is the Tinkerbell Half.

I need a little mental soothing, lol. My training plan has me running an easy 3 mile recovery run tomorrow, the day before my HM. I don't think I've done a run the day before a longer race, and it's kinda psyching me out a little bit. But at the same time, I know that it's generally considered to be a good idea. And especially after sitting on a plane for 6 hours, I think it will really help to loosen me up. But, tell me it'll be ok, lol, I need a little reminder that a short recovery run isn't going to wipe me out for the race the next day!

@KatieJane83 - There are different training systems that have you do different stuff the day before a long race. Some systems have you rest the day before a long run. Some call for 2 miles at goal race pace. The plan I typically follow calls for 20 to 30 minutes on the last 2 miles of the course (implied, at an easy pace). The thing is, none of these practices are going to wipe out a well-trained runner for the race. They are all volume-limited.

So your plan calls for an easy 3 miles. I don't know about your paces, but at mine an easy 3 miles would use less energy than 2 miles at goal half marathon race pace. And I've seen runners PR after doing the 2 miles at goal race pace the day before.

You'll be fine.

Edit to add: I ran 5 easy miles the day before my PR half marathon. The first two, I ran with my sister. She was doing two miles at her goal race pace, which was a tad slower than my easy pace; but we managed. The next day I ran a PR and she ran within a couple minutes of her PR. Then she told my nephew he owed her another half marathon because he didn't finish ahead of his mother.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - As @MobyCarp said, you'll be fine. The day before my HM, I ran an easy 2 miles...just 2 piddly little miles; I ran the HM and PR'd it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 Whatever you do, let us know and how it worked out. My first HM is in June and I plan to spend 2.5 days driving there (doing more than just the HM while in the area) to get slowly used to elevation change and not wear myself out. I was thinking of stopping along the way at various parks to break up my drive and get some running done. I figure I need to do that to stay in shape. So it would be nice to hear what you do and how it works out for you.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I've done an easy 2 mile shakeout run the day before my HMs and the day before my marathon. I do tend to throw in a quick stride towards the end so I mentally know my legs can go fast. I usually have my rest day 2 days before the HM. Both of my HMs were fantastic. It's my favorite race distance.

Hope you have a great race! Can't wait to see pics!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 good luck!!!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    5 miles today. Wasn't feeling it.

exercise.png
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So I am fairly new to this site and a much more low mileage and lots of days off runner than most. I didn't think I would ever find my last post - it was 9 pages back, lol. You people are crazy runners - and I am saying that with a huge smile on my face and lots of admiration in my voice. (Emoji-less at the moment) I thought I was a little crazy for doing a marathon. You all make me feel not only sane, but like a slacker, lol.

5/4- 3.2
    5/6-13.2
    5/7-6
    5/11 - weight lifting training session then 6 mile run - felt like I had lead legs. Shins were cramping up at 2 miles, ugh.

I have to travel out of town this weekend and am working next weekend. I am going to really have to step it up to meet my goal.

May total 28.4/80
    [/quote]