5/4 = 6 mile run
    5/5 = forced rest day due to work schedule :(
    5/6 = 7.5 miles
    5/7 = 11 miles
    5/8 = 5.5 miles & strength training
    5/9 = Vinyasa yoga class
    5/10 = 6 miles
    5/11 = 6.5 miles & strength training

Made the mistake of running on a trail by a creek this morning. Highs in the 90s, recent rain, and oppressive 88% humidity means the insects are multiplying rapidly. Inhaled several bugs (that I know of) so I guess my breakfast protein needs are taken care of. Gross!

May Goal 51.5/125 miles
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Declared today to be a rest day along with the scheduled rest day tomorrow, all ahead of the Running with the Cows Half Marathon Saturday.

I am seriously leaning towards switching this next cycle to higher HR effort workouts instead of additional mileage. I have been looking at my calendar and training plan for my fall marathon schedule for a couple weeks now. My brain had convinced myself that 2 more 6 week base building cycles (reaching 60mpw with 18 mile long runs) followed by 6 weeks of speedwork made the most sense when just looking at the schedule like that. At the same time though, with the summer heat coming I know my pace will not increase just because I am running further. That means those weekly 16 to 18 milers will be over 4 hours each, and my 2 midweek long runs will be in the 2.5 to 3 hour range each. That doesn't really seem wise.

So I am just going to go with my gut on this one and switch to speedier stuff on this next 6 week cycle This means fewer miles than planned and I won't hit my declared monthly mileage target of 180 miles. On the upside though, what I plan to gain is higher cardio and extra cardio endurance. Thus when I return to building mileage I can do so a bit easier, meaning faster (in theory). So when I hit my peak mileage in September at 60 mpw it won't require as long on those runs.

Six of one, a half dozen of the other. And if this does not work out I can still at least get the mileage up and all that, but maybe downsize my currently aggressive fall goals if they look too unreasonable as the time approaches.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)
    5/2 5mi 44:35min
    5/3 rest
    5/4 5mi 44:20min
    5/5 4mi 37:27min
    5/6 11mi 1:43:14min
    5/7 rest <- but I spent 7 hours painting!!!
    5/8 7mi 1:06:29min
    5/9 5mi 45:31min
    5/10 rest
    5/11 5mi 43:55min

Today was a good run. Cloudy and 60 degrees, no breeze. I'm halfway through my audio book and I find myself looking forward to my runs to listen to more of the book - lol. I can't say that's ever happened :smile:

They are calling for rain Saturday when I do my long run... how long do you all run in the rain? I've got 12 miles scheduled.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk -Looks like a beautiful race! Congrats on the PR and a great job!

@girlinahat -It sounds to me like you just need a few days of rest. Races take their toll on you because of the cumulative effect of all the training. Listen to your body. you will come back stronger in the long run.

@MNLittleFinn - That is how I always felt during heavy training weeks. It never seemed to affect my run, but the rest of the time I was just dog tired. It really wears on me mentally. I get tired of being tired all the time. Try to find something to calm and relax you, like sitting down with a cup of tea and a good book or a favorite TV show. For me, a nice, hot bath always helps. You need to reward your body and soul a bit for all of your hard work.
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    05/03-- 2 miles
    05/05--2 miles
    05/07--3 miles
    05/08--3 miles
    05/09--4 miles
    05/10--4 miles

Total 18 miles!
    A little sore today, so may be will rest today.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,801 Member
    Options
    5/2-3 miles
    5/5-2 miles
    5/7-3 miles
    5/8-4 miles
    5/10-3 miles

Total-15/65miles

last nights run about killed me. My chest tight, and I couldnt run and keep my HR around 145. its usually about 145 when I run around an 11 min/mile, and can keep that up about 2 to 2 1/2 miles, but last night running a 12 min/mile, I could only keep that up for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile with a HR of 160.

When I was sick with the flu Friday night, My husband had a cold with a nasty cough, well in his sleep he coughed in my face, so now that I'm over the flu, I have a friggin cold, nasty cough and all. hopefully its most of it is through since I have a race in 2 days, lucky its only 5 miles, but I was hoping to PR on this race since its the only race Ive ever done in the past. We will see I guess

exercise.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »

When I was sick with the flu Friday night, My husband had a cold with a nasty cough, well in his sleep he coughed in my face, so now that I'm over the flu, I have a friggin cold, nasty cough and all. hopefully its most of it is through since I have a race in 2 days, lucky its only 5 miles, but I was hoping to PR on this race since its the only race Ive ever done in the past.

I had a crappy cough for over 2 weeks and I'm certain it was from a guy who decided to run next to me on the treadmill. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but he got on the treadmill next to me when there was an entire row of available ones. He immediately started hacking like he was trying to cough up a lung. He struggled for about 15 minutes then left. A couple days later I got sick. Grrr...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - That is how I always felt during heavy training weeks. It never seemed to affect my run, but the rest of the time I was just dog tired. It really wears on me mentally. I get tired of being tired all the time. Try to find something to calm and relax you, like sitting down with a cup of tea and a good book or a favorite TV show. For me, a nice, hot bath always helps. You need to reward your body and soul a bit for all of your hard work.

Thanks for that encouragement. It's funny, I'm dog tired, but also mentally stoked because of the progress I'm making. I think the combination of running, working a Federal setting 4 school, and having a toddler to run around with and just life contributes to the tiredness.... Running is my meditation time too....just one that takes energy.

• amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

And now for some TMI. I woke up early this morning, intending to go for a short run. But for some odd reason I couldn't get myself to poop like I usually do before a run. I did NOT want to go out without a poop, so I wound up deferring until later, and even then it was difficult. So no run this morning, going to do it after work again. Friday morning I have to go early, poop or no poop, since I'll be busy after work.

I'm sure you all understand the poop thing, right? I just don't feel "safe" running outdoors without first having pooped!

Ha Ha, I sooooo get this!!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

@amymoreorless I don't know what I hate more the bugs in my mouth or up my nose ha ha

I had one kill itself once by flying into my eyeball. I had to run I think around the last .5 mile of my run with it there, before I had access to a clean tissue from my car to get it out. I will take a bug in the mouth or the nose any day of the week over having a repeat of that experience :s:s:s
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 oh yeah eyes are horrible. Skip had a wasp sting her by the eye one time on a run, we were as far as we could be from the car. We poured all our water on her face and took the ice out of the water bottle to put on her eye. Then we had to run/walk 5 miles back to the car with her crying on and off that it hurt. Worst run ever since it was also like 80F out.

@respectthekitty I give myself 20 extra minutes in the morning to sit on the pot with my phone to let gravity work. There is literally one spot in the neighborhood that I have had to use as a restroom a couple of times. The worst part is it is next to my friends house, but I don't want to knock on her door at 5:30 and say "hey I gotta use your bathroom" ha ha I figure her dog and I share the same place in the woods. Talk about TMI!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    And now for some TMI. I woke up early this morning, intending to go for a short run. But for some odd reason I couldn't get myself to poop like I usually do before a run. I did NOT want to go out without a poop, so I wound up deferring until later, and even then it was difficult. So no run this morning, going to do it after work again. Friday morning I have to go early, poop or no poop, since I'll be busy after work.

I'm sure you all understand the poop thing, right? I just don't feel "safe" running outdoors without first having pooped!

Yep, pooping is part of my morning ritual as well. During the work week, I'm up at 5, get coffee and maybe poop, get dressed, drive to the bus park and ride, ride to work, go to the gym locker room to get changed out and poop again before my run. It is kind of nice to have about 90 minutes from when I get up to when I start my run to get all the pooping out. For my weekend runs, I need to get going a bit sooner, but still like to have some coffee and relax for a bit before I head out. I have risked it before, going outdoors for a run without pooping, but I try to stay a little closer to home or run through the park or new construction sites that have port-a-potties.
    :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Yep, pooping is part of my morning ritual as well. During the work week, I'm up at 5, get coffee and maybe poop, get dressed, drive to the bus park and ride, ride to work, go to the gym locker room to get changed out and poop again before my run. It is kind of nice to have about 90 minutes from when I get up to when I start my run to get all the pooping out. For my weekend runs, I need to get going a bit sooner, but still like to have some coffee and relax for a bit before I head out. I have risked it before, going outdoors for a run without pooping, but I try to stay a little closer to home or run through the park or new construction sites that have port-a-potties.
    :smile:

Thankfully, the port-a-potties have been put out on the Prairie Path for the summer, so that's one less worry for me. It was a bit more harrowing during the winter when they weren't there.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - I've gambled before by running before pooping and learned my lesson. :lol: It's a must doo ritual. :wink: Every once in a while, despite the ritual, I still have to go while on the run. I shudder to think what would happen if I had tried to wait on those days! :grimace:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Totally understand. I'm a morning pooper, which is great as it's usually a wake up, do what I need to thing, but there are days where I get IBS and it doesn't happen. thankfully I run past my gym, and in the five minutes it takes me to run there if I haven't gone when I leave the house, then that's a good stopping off point. I must be one of the quickest users of the gym, swiping in and out within a few minutes....

Not yet done the bear in the woods thing yet.....it'll happen someday.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    5/2 - 4 mile riverfront run, avg pace 8:36/mi.
    5/4 - 6 mile downtown run, avg pace 8:41/mi.
    5/6 - 3 mile greenway trail, avg pace 8:12/mi.
    5/7 - 6 mile neighborhood run, avg pace 9:01/mi.
    5/9 - 6 mile tempo run, avg pace 10:00/mi
    5/11 - 5 mile downtown run, avg pace 9:00/mi

30/80 total miles.

This past week I've been struggling with my pace. Not sure if it is the rise in temps and just getting used to that or what. I thought going from 5 days a week running to 4 would help me not feel as fatigued, but wondering if it is affecting my running performance. My HR has been about normal (avg 153-161) for my training runs.

Any suggestions? Should I go back to 5 days a week?