May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    A fairly slow 4.5 to stretch out from yesterday's 10k run. I'm thinking I might should have set my goal higher. I have more time since I can work from home a few days a week, saving me about 3 hours of commute time on those days.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - that video is awesome! That guy is SO lucky he didn't get sprayed or bitten! On the other hand they are super cute :smiley:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Lol, I would've been super-wary at the first sign of that lot coming towards me, and then as soon as the one lifted it's tail, that's it...I'd have dived off that road in a heartbeat!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @garygse growing up my friend had a skunk as a pet, it was de-skunked so it didn't spray and we would walk it on a leash. No clue why her parents brought her a skunk ha ha
  • shanaber
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - when I was in college I worked at the Oakland baby zoo. We also had a skunk that we would walk. She was really mean though, she bit the head zookeeper on the thumb through her glove and wouldn't let go! They had to pry her off and the zookeeper had to get tetanus shots and stitches. I had no idea at the time that they could bite like that. Needless to say the skunk didn't get to go for many walks after that because nobody wanted to put their hands in her enclosure to get her out any longer even with gloves.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    09/05 3.53 miles
    10/05 3.59 miles

exercise.png

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - when I was in college I worked at the Oakland baby zoo. We also had a skunk that we would walk. She was really mean though, she bit the head zookeeper on the thumb through her glove and wouldn't let go! They had to pry her off and the zookeeper had to get tetanus shots and stitches. I had no idea at the time that they could bite like that. Needless to say the skunk didn't get to go for many walks after that because nobody wanted to put their hands in her enclosure to get her out any longer even with gloves.

Tetanus or rabies shots? Did you like working at the zoo? It sounds like a fun job.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Another 80 degree run/walk this evening. 3.25 miles. I do think I walked a little less than yesterday. The heat hasn't been terrible with the walk breaks but I felt achy all over the past 2 days. Even had weird back pain at my waistline that's only when running. Even weirder is the back pain doesn't coincide with impact but rather with my breathing!

Please have this checked out. Anything that interferes with breathing is scary.

I am glad that your husband is getting a port-a-cath. He will really enjoy having not be stuck all of the time as well. Much more reliable that he is getting the medicine that he needs. Sometimes those IV's can migrate out of the skin.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber ouch! I was wondering the same as @ereck44
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @shanaber - I'm not sure what hotel I'm at just yet, my employer is booking us all as a group as I understand it but no word yet where. I'm hopeful it will be near the start. My wife can't really go with me unless we turn it into a family thing though, it is not easy getting extended care for all these kids! She didn't give me too much trouble about it, but I could see it in her eyes how much she resented me for going without her. :grimace: She went to SF once as a kid, loved it, and has talked before about going back. Luckily Mother's Day is coming up so I can try and smooth things over. I'm thinking tequila. :lol:

Regarding skunks, those are some interesting creatures for sure. I have had them run towards me before also, but never aggressively. I've never been sprayed (thankfully). I just try to keep my distance, I don't want to test any limits!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Wk: 5.8.17 - 5.14.17

M - 3 m. EZ Recovery.
    T - Rest
    W - 9.9 m.
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    ## miles for week.

Next Event - Cleveland Marathon Pacer 4:55 group.

• shanaber
    Options
    @ereck44 and @skippygirlsmom - I am pretty sure it was tetanus and not rabies since the skunk wasn't wild and had been raised at the zoo. It was a long time ago so it could be that she had to follow the rabies protocol.
    Working at the zoo was great fun! I wanted to be a vet at the time and it was a great place to get experience. I raised a baby gazelle and a tiger cub (both were bottle/hand fed) and it was an amazing experience. It was also fun to go back and see them all grown up!

@WhatMeRunning - I didn't think of all the childcare considerations but that is tough! Brunch with margaritas could help do the trick! I am pretty sure she will still add it to the list of things you owe her at some point :smiley:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles
    5/3/17: 3.5 miles
    5/4/17: 3.1miles
    5/6/17: 3.1 miles
    5/7/17: 3.5 miles
    5/9/17: 4.1 miles
    5/10/17: 3.5 miles

24.8/50 miles

I'm almost half way to my May goal! I moved my walk that was supposed to be tomorrow to today. I have an electrician coming tomorrow and I was afraid I would miss it so I rescheduled. I was glad I was able to. They were calling for thunderstorms this afternoon but it was actually pretty nice. I do hear some thunder rumbling in the distance now though so I am glad I got the run in.

@skippygirlsmom I also had a childhood friend who had a pet skunk. It was really cute. I see one sometimes at the park, but I steer clear if it. I'm pretty sure it isn't a pet. I think it just likes to eat the catfood that the people who live near there set out.

exercise.png

• HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oh, @HRKinchen good luck with your trail race. Avoiding those gators will definitely get you finished in an hour!

1sm33bonlzmx.png

Ha! Well, at least I'll PR it, right? :lol:
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - In all seriousness, these are pics from the park and its trail system that have been uploaded to the Trail Run Project app. I can't wait!

xm7i1uparsti.jpeg