May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @ctlaws44 Congrats on the PB and being second male. I’m sure you have that sub-20 in you during a race where you’re not dodging so many small children!

@KeepRunningFatboy Goodluck on pacer duty! I bet you’ll have a great race helping so many runners achieve their goals.

@MobyCarp What a beautiful run!

@snowyne I had a similar experience when I transitioned from treadmill to road. I was previously a gym-bunny and only ran as my warm-up, but when I started to get into running a bit more and headed outside, I had all sorts of problems. You basically need to go back to scratch to build up your body's resistance to running on different surfaces. The increase in hills will be making a difference, particularly going downhill as that’s not something that your body is used to at all. You also say that your shoes are fine, but you may need to look for some shoes with more cushioning instead for road running, so get to a running shop and get your gait assessed. I would also second @girlinahat ’s suggestion to hit the trails, as the softer surfaces will provide some more support, and trails also work your muscles in different ways due to the uneven nature of the surface, ultimately helping to strengthen.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    34.7 miles for the week. Work trip really got in the way of exercise routine. But thats done, and I did run 22 miles combined Saturday and Sunday.

Is anyone running the Cleveland Marathon or Half Marathon next weekend? I'm pacing the 4:55 marathon and will have on one of the bright yellow pacer shirts. Come up and say Hi if you will be there!

I was supposed to do the half but training wasn't going well so I had to pass. I am going to try to go to the expo Friday morning when they open before I have to take J to a scouting camp for hockey.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @snowyne - As your pains subside, start working on core and glute strengthening exercises. These are all too common issues with new runners as our daily civilized life allows us to sit to much and these muscles become far weaker than others in the body.

When you start running you don't realize this at first because your body has learned over the years to rely on other muscles instead. You wind up stressing the ligaments and joints in your hips, knees, etc, but are not building up strength in any of the muscles that really need development as you are using your muscles incorrectly. This leads to common novice runner ailments like ITBS, causing hip, knee, calf and shin pains.

One thing you will notice as you strengthen core/glute muscles is your form may change, and you will feel like you are pushing down/back to run instead of pulling yourself forward. This is good and a sign of progress.

When you think about treadmills, they aid a new runner with bad form as they don't have to "pull forward" with their legs as hard...which is bad form to begin with. It's counterintuitive to push down/back on a treadmill because it seems like you will push too far forward on the machine and hit the front of it.

Definitely work the core and glutes though. This goes for all runners, new and old.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - that is so funny that you forgot you had registered! Good thing you went to volunteer! And awesome job on 1st place!!!

@mobycarp - glad you took a moment to enjoy the scenery! I am not as intense as you are on assigned runs so whenever I run in daylight I am always stopping to take a quick picture. ... eh probably an excuse to rest a second.

@ctlaws44 -- wow, what a fast 5k! I couldn't get a different med without going in. Since it's only 3 days of it I decided I'm just going to finish it and in the future (hopefully never!) tell them I don't want that anymore.

Slept in about ten minutes late (doesn't sound like much but on my time frame in the morning, it is a lot!) -- and I wanted to go really slow and be cautious because of my hopefully irrational fears of cipro & running. So I ran a slow 3.8 this morning.

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training
    5/2 - 3.5 miles
    5/3 - 21 miles cycling
    5/4 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/5 - rest day
    5/6 - 34 miles cycling
    5/7 - 43 miles cycling
    5/8 - 4.6 miles + strength training
    5/9 - rest day
    5/10 - 4.5 miles + cycling 21 miles
    5/11 - strength training
    5/12 - 4.6 miles
    5/13 - 34 miles cycling
    5/14 - rest day
    5/15 - 3.8 miles

exercise.png

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - It looks rural to me but I run mostly in suburbia.

@9voice9 - awesome job on a surprise race.

@juliet3455 - Great job on the PR!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/1- 8.1
    5/2- 4.6
    5/3-9
    5/4- REST
    5/5- 5.7
    5/6-20.1
    5/7- 5
    5/8- 8.2
    5/9- 4.7
    5/10- 10
    5/11- REST
    5/12- 5.7
    5/13- 20
    5/15- 5
    5/16- 8.2

Total: 114.3

May Goal: Get through most of the last 5 weeks before taper healthy
    Nominal mileage goal: 220 Miles.

Today's notes: Today's assignment was 8 miles with miles 4-6 @ or a little faster than HMP. This run was something of a cluster *kitten*. My first 2 miles were too fast, then mile 3 was OK. Miles 4-6 I averaged ~9:04, so pretty fast. Mile 7 was back in the correct pace range, and then 8 was 9:16, so too fast.

This run felt harder than my breathing and HR data would make it out to be. I kept my breathing at a 6 in 4 out, and my Garmin said I had a 146 average HR. Despite that, I was feeling pretty dead tired on the run. It may have something to do with the killer 20 miler on Saturday and driving 4 hours yesterday though..... I'm exhausted today!

Have a Runderful day all!

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 Congrats on a fantastic race and impressive PR!

@9voice9 Great race, and first in AG is a top result, congratulations!

@MobyCarp Nice pictures! I like the easy runs, as I get to take in more of what's around me...unfortunately I run too early in the morning when it's still dark, so I don't get to see all that much!

@juliet3455 Congrats on a fantastic race, and with a new PR as well, bonus!

@carolineb81 Way to rock your first off-road run; great job!

@kristinegift Great HM, and I'm glad your back is feeling a lot better!

@MNLittleFinn Most of my runs have a relatively inconsistent pace...I'm just too inexperienced to have the consistency that I see others get. In the end, I just focus on the perceived effort level rather than the pace itself.

Today is the first run of a planned cutback week, so whereas normally I would cover 13 miles on a Monday, instead I ran just six. The first two miles were run easy to warm-up, followed by three miles at tempo pace, and then finally one last mile back at easy to cool things down.

01 - 13.50
    02 - 10.58
    03 - 13.49
    04 - 9.80
    05 - 20.14
    08 - 12.99
    09 - 9.77
    10 - 13.42
    11 - 5.69
    12 - 20.28
    15 - 6.01

Total: 135.67 / 225 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Most of my runs have a relatively inconsistent pace...I'm just too inexperienced to have the consistency that I see others get. In the end, I just focus on the perceived effort level rather than the pace itself.
    Yeah. I'm just a little annoyed because I let those 2 miles creep into the slow end of HMP.... I always speed up when I'm tired, so not too surprised though.

oh, yeah. Starting a cut back week with a 6 mile run, that's still a great run!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Think of how hard that run was, and consider it to be training your mind to keep going in the late miles of a marathon when even running at an easy pace is hard. Possibly your plan was designed to create that hard to run feeling without beating up your legs as much as running 26 miles all at once does.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - Think of how hard that run was, and consider it to be training your mind to keep going in the late miles of a marathon when even running at an easy pace is hard. Possibly your plan was designed to create that hard to run feeling without beating up your legs as much as running 26 miles all at once does.

Thanks. Yeah. All of my Monday runs until taper have that fast section in the middle, probably since I have my big LR's these weeks, and then an E run so I'm not too dead, then a run like today's...... It certainly does let me run tired without trashing me too badly!
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    05/03-- 2, 05/05--2, 05/07--3, 05/08--3, 05/09--4, 05/10--4
    05/11-- Rest
    05/12--4.5 miles
    05/13--2 miles
    Total 24.5 miles!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Checking in for the first time since Friday. Yikes! 106 missed posts. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do at lunch time. I hope all the mammas had a great Mother's day!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 5 miles - Steeple Chase 8K
    5/7 - rest day
    5/8 - 5 miles
    5/9 - 3 miles
    5/10 - rest day
    5/11 - 5 miles
    5/12 - 3 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles - Technicolor 5K and cool down
    5/14 - Mother's day and this Mother didn't run :wink:
    5/15 - 2 miles now this Mother was sorry she didn't run yesterday because this run was *kitten*

42 of 60 miles

exercise.png

Boss just handed me a list of things I need to do (really?!) so I'll have to come back and read.

Races:

5/6 - Steeple Chase 8K - 3 in AG
    5/13 - Technicolor 5K - 1 in AG
    5/29 - Cotton Row 10K
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    May 2 - 2.29 miles
    May 4 - 2.25 miles
    May 6 - 2.39 miles
    May 8 - 2.3 miles
    May 10 - 2.66 miles
    May 14 - 2.01 miles

exercise.png

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Take a long weekend and get behind around here...I have 8+ pages to read. Here's my update for now.

5/1 - 5.1 miles. Fizzled a bit at the end of April, but good start to May.
    5/2 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work. Then quick upper body weights.
    5/3 - 5 miles. Nice, comfortable run.
    5/4 - Rest day.
    5/5 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning!
    5/6 - 10 miles with a ridiculous amount of incline/decline. My *kitten* hurts!
    5/7 - Rest day. See yesterday.
    5/8 - 4.8 miles. Perfect weather at 4:30 a.m.
    5/9 - 5 miles of track / speed work. Then upper body weights / abs.
    5/10 - 3.5 miles. Overslept, so had to cut it short.
    5/11 - 2.8 miles. Girls on the Run practice 5k with my daughter.
    5/12 - Pre-race rest day.
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay! So much fun! ~75 miles over 17 "legs" with a team of 6 other running friends. 5.3 miles (Leg 3), 5.1 miles (Leg 10) and 4.0 miles (Leg 17 + team finish). Total of 14.4 miles. Most I have ever run in one day. After the 5th leg, it was HOT! 80° F and sunny.
    5/14 - Rest day.
    5/15 - 4.8 miles.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - I have a recent appreciation for registering and forgetting an event!

@MobyCarp - As someone on the outskirts of suburbia in Kansas, and familiar with the large rural patches that extend on every direction beyond, I can assure you that is rural. About the only places more rural are in the areas south and east of Seattle goin down through Wyoming. The is jack *kitten* *kitten* out there.

@ctlaws44 - Fabulous time!!

Congrats on the PR @juliet3455!

Stay safe @ddmom0811!

Impressive time on your wisely run half @kristinegift!