May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I’m laughing at the race day photo comments. I always look like I’m walking no matter what, my feet are never off the ground. I also look like I’m in pain. Ha ha @ddmom0811 I’m with you I’d pay to have them deleted.

@respectthekitty I ran my first HM never having run over 11 miles. I think fueling is big deal, I didn’t at first but I do now. My first HM I ran on a half a pop tart and that was it, I wanted to die for days after. The second I brought candy with me (tootsie rolls) and make sure I ate them throughout the race. I also took in Gatorade at water stops even though I HATE Gatorade. I did lots of 10 milers so I knew if I could finish 10 a bunch of time I could do 13. I also didn’t want a time in my head for 13.1. Like @mobycarp said, slow down I think that is the key when adding mileage.
    @emilycarys treadmills are horrible, my orthopedic doctor said he better never ever hear of me running on one. Is it possible for you to run outside?
    @girlinahat that sounds awesome
    @kristinegift glad your back is feeling better
    @louubelle16 glad to hear the legs are feeling good, smart idea not pushing it! I know the feeling, I’m slowly rebuilding. I was thrilled to go 6 miles today. Slow and steady keeps the doctor away!
    @elise4270 you learned quite a few interesting things ha ha
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Opposite of yesterdays run today -road work and humid

2/5 - 3.2
    4/5 - 3.2
    6/5 - 3.3
    7/5-3.3
    8/5 - 3.3
    9/5 - 3.2
    11/5 - 4.0
    13/5 - 4.0
    15/5 - 4.0
    16/5 - 4.0

total - 35.5/80 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/1- 8.1
    5/2- 4.6
    5/3-9
    5/4- REST
    5/5- 5.7
    5/6-20.1
    5/7- 5
    5/8- 8.2
    5/9- 4.7
    5/10- 10
    5/11- REST
    5/12- 5.7
    5/13- 20
    5/14- 5
    5/15- 8.2
    5/16- 4.6

Total: 118.9

May Goal: Get through most of the last 5 weeks before taper healthy
    Nominal mileage goal: 220 Miles.

Today's notes: Today's assignment was 4 miles plus 4 strides. Run went well, despite having a Bowel issue that had to be taken care of mid run, so my HR data was kind of messed up from the drop in HR during my "break" Other than that, it was ok. I averaged 9:23 over 4 miles and then got the strides done. pretty vanilla day.

Oh and totally random question for my run friends. My last 20 mile run is going to be a loop, When you run a loop on roads, do you run clockwise or counter-clockwise? I'm thinking about having to cross roads on turns.

Have a Runderful day all!

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    09/05 3.53 miles
    10/05 3.59 miles
    11/05 3.56 miles
    15/05 3.66 miles
    16/05 4.02 miles

exercise.png

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh and totally random question for my run friends. My last 20 mile run is going to be a loop, When you run a loop on roads, do you run clockwise or counter-clockwise? I'm thinking about having to cross roads on turns.

I alternate. I don't want to always turn the same direction.
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in a while. Here's an update!

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Yeah. This might be the only time I run it, just over thinking I think.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Yeah. This might be the only time I run it, just over thinking I think.

If everything else is equal, and I don't expect to revisit the route, I'd want left turns because there is less chance of disruption due to traffic.

However, everything else is rarely equal. Among other things, the elevation gain and loss pattern changes when you change directions. If I'm not going to revisit this loop, and it's a 20 mile run in marathon training, I think I'd want the direction that more closely resembled the target race. If neither direction is particularly similar to the race course, I'd pick whichever direction looks like more fun. That might be left turns, due to traffic interruptions being no fun at all.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited May 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    If everything else is equal, and I don't expect to revisit the route, I'd want left turns because there is less chance of disruption due to traffic.

However, everything else is rarely equal. Among other things, the elevation gain and loss pattern changes when you change directions. If I'm not going to revisit this loop, and it's a 20 mile run in marathon training, I think I'd want the direction that more closely resembled the target race. If neither direction is particularly similar to the race course, I'd pick whichever direction looks like more fun. That might be left turns, due to traffic interruptions
    Thanks for the input.

For reference, here's the route, making left turns, so there's less crossing traffic: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1576227253 you may have to expand the map view to see it, and click the elevation box. mapmyrun has been finicky lately

Here's the marathon course profile: irnrlt756igh.jpg

Not sure which way is closer, neither is all that close.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I pick the direction that let's me run down hills :wink:
    LOL.... See my post above
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Counterclockwise if you're in the northern hemisphere, clockwise for the southern hemisphere. :wink:

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA......
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    05/03-- 2, 05/05--2, 05/07--3, 05/08--3, 05/09--4, 05/10--4, 05/11-- Rest
    05/12--4.5 miles
    05/13--2 miles
    05/14--4 miles
    Total 28.5 miles!

Before I went running last night, I had to poop and I was laughing just thinking of the poop discussion in this thread! I am a morning person too! But then there are days when you go more than once!!

I have IBS. If I only have to go once, I am flabbergasted. Usually it's at least 2-3 times a day.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn

Depends on the extent of the camber surely? Keep turning in the same direction and you'll end up with one leg shorter than the other!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Training crazies hit again, so I was examining my running shoes. I noticed that the outside of all my heels are more compressed than the inside, by a bunch, even on my new shoes. This matches the wear pattern on the rubber on the bottom, where the outside of the heel has more wear..... the wear on the rest of the tread is pretty even......things that make me go hhhmmm......
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Training crazies hit again, so I was examining my running shoes. I noticed that the outside of all my heels are more compressed than the inside, by a bunch, even on my new shoes. This matches the wear pattern on the rubber on the bottom, where the outside of the heel has more wear..... the wear on the rest of the tread is pretty even......things that make me go hhhmmm......
    So you think you are overstriding, perhaps? I'm not sure I would change anything right now, this close to your marathon, and with the kind of mileage you are logging.

If you're just worried about heel striking, I hear that's OK as long as you're not overstriding. Although I'm a little confused how you can heel strike with an underbody foot fall.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So you think you are overstriding, perhaps? I'm not sure I would change anything right now, this close to your marathon, and with the kind of mileage you are logging.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking it might be. I'm not going to change anything at this time, as it hasn't seemed to cause problems, even with my training load, but maybe after the marathon, or in the off season, since my season's pretty full. I know I'm a heel striker, but that's been my problem for years.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 - That is quite a large subject about using target HR's for specific training runs, made even bigger by incorporating into a structured training plan. Part of it is what you suspect about avoiding fatigue, another part exactly matches your opinion about improving your cardio fitness. The key is doing it right, and not doing too much at any time, or slouching into a routine that winds up yielding diminishing returns.

For example, I am pretty much getting my maximum returns possible as far as limiting myself to only endurance workouts. If I keep adding mileage the only thing I am doing is increasing risk of injury, and not gaining any more physiological benefits than if I stayed at the same mileage. There is a saying I heard once, "If things aren't working, change what you're doing". So, since continuing at my current capabilities at more and more mileage is not giving me any real benefit other than higher risk of injury, I should change what I'm doing. What I decided to do is maintain my current mileage and instead of adding the stress of more miles, I add the stress of higher effort during some of my miles. Thus the tempo intervals and tempo runs during my mid-week long(ish) runs.

Another link to go along with what @MobyCarp provided that I found helpful was this article on the McMillan Running site. You have to take in the whole 6 steps, and for me I had to reread it again afterwards (probably read 3 times) before things started coming together in seeing how these things can work together. There are many different types of training guides out there, this is just one of many. But the info here is pure gold in my opinion.
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillans-six-step-training-system/

For the most part, I never do the Speed or Sprint workouts. I did a session with Speed workouts last year during a low mileage cycle when starting a new training period, and I think it was magic. But if you are trying to run long distances, I think it is pretty risky to try and add Speed workouts unless you have really built up some endurance, strength and stamina first, as in maybe a year or more of that sort of training (totally unprofessional and uneducated opinion there).

The Stamina workouts are key though one you built up a solid base of endurance and mileage. They will help to make you faster, but a surprising thing they provide is endurance. One way to look at it is...if you wish to go faster, do endurance runs. If You wish to run farther, do some stamina runs. That is not speaking in absolutes, stamina runs will also help make you faster, and endurance runs also help you run further. But the change in routine is what triggers your body to respond and adapt.

Crap, this is way too long. Sorry!

Is this an opportunity to shamelessly plug my own blog? :wink:

http://therunningstan.blogpost.com/2016/01/reverse-taper-base-building.html
    http://therunningstan.blogpost.com/2016/01/why-is-oxygen-so-important.html