May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @jessicamcb I think i will. And you Got another Marathon? I'm jealous! That's great!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1--- stuck late at work so ice cream and the couch won
    2---will suck it up

10th-15th in Georgia.

0/50+

UPCOMING RACES

May 27- XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run. 5k.
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    In addition to recovering my knee, I also had a cheat weekend Fri. - Sun. for my birthday weekend. Over the weekend, I gained 13 lbs. and that makes 21 lbs. gained since 4/23. In addition to the extra weight, my electrolytes got way out of balance and I have been having some major muscle cramps in my legs, especially the calves and inner thighs. I'm taking measures to recover electrolyte balance, and my next run is supposed to be tomorrow. There were times over the weekend when I could not even stand, much less walk (I was literally crawling around my house in a lot of pain). The food was delicious, though.

So for tomorrow's run, if I do it at all, I'm going to probably go to the gym and do it on the treadmill so I can stop at any time without being stuck far from home / car.

ETA Ticker for May:

exercise.png
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @iofred - yours is possibly the most awesome bling I have seen. It makes me smile.

Trying this again as half my writing disappeared into cyber space

@angmarie28 you may want to try the bigger size on as well. My feet are a tad smaller than yours, but I'm generally right on the size cutoffs, and I tend to prefer the smaller size over e bigger size.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles

4/50 miles

Had a nice run today. It was hot, but it was only 85°F so it wasn't too bad. At least the wind wasn't as bad as it was this weekend.

exercise.png
  • NycoleML
    NycoleML Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    5/1: Fast walk for 3 miles, working up to a jog!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @HRKinchen the main difference you'll find is the softer surface. Depending on the ground, you may want to think about shoes with some tread, but if it's dry you'll probably be okay with road shoes. If it's the sort of trail where you'll find tree roots, you may have to adjust your running to pick your feet up a bit more. Watch the trail ten feet or so in front of you, and concentrate on where you WANT to put your foot not where you DON'T want to put it. In a race, best not to run to close to the person in front, you can't guarantee they won't take you down!!! Maybe try and get out on a trail before the race to get a feel for it, but above all have fun.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @HRKinchen Like others have said normal road shoes should be fine. I don't put my Trail Shoes on unless I am hitting Steep or Rocky Trails - as most Trail Shoes have Stiffer Foot Beds and Deeper Aggressive tread for digging into the mud and grabbing onto the rocks. I actually have 2 different Trail shoes, Saucony Peregrine - with a softer Foot bed (more of a road Foot bed) and Trail Lugs. The other Mizuno Wave Ascend with a Stiff Foot bed for going over Rocks and slightly smaller-stiffer Lugs than on my Peregrine's for Rock Hopping.
    @HRKinchen If it's not technical (meaning lots of rocks with some steep ups and downs), I wouldn't worry about trail shoes. If you have the chance to check it out ahead of time, you can make a better decision. "Trails" here in Texas can be paved, flat crushed gravel, or technical. Since trail shoes are typically heavier, I only wear my trail shoes for technical trail running.

If it is a more technical trail, I would work on getting some trail running in ahead of your race. It is a bit different, but it's a lot of fun!!

I'm kinda backwards in that I run in trail shoes all the time because I was running primarily on grass, dirt, and the like when I started out. And I still run about 50/50 earth/street. The tread isn't overly aggressive, and I'm not competitive enough (read: somewhere between molasses and a turtle) to worry about extra shoe weight slowing me down, so I've not yet looked for proper road shoes.

Tree roots are almost a guarantee on this course, as are "ankle-biting holes" from what I've heard. The trails are a combination of narrow dirt paths, gravel, and boardwalk, from what I gather. Not technical in terms of elevation changes, as this area is mostly flat. I do hope to check out the course beforehand, but not sure I'll get the chance.

Feet up, eyes down - duly noted.

Thanks!
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May 2 - 3.58 miles
    May total - 3.58 miles
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5.1 miles. Fizzled a bit at the end of April, but good start to May.
    5/2 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work. Then quick upper body weights.

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    05/02/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 5.9 out of 75

Tuesday run! No morning meeting today, so my schedule made a Tuesday morning run possible. The temps were nice and cool. I took the dog out for a walk first and then went back out and ran, and I think the walk was nice as a warm up. My calves and hamstrings have been a bit tight, but they loosen up if I warm up well I think. I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.