May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I wear Brooks...it's almost like this guy is talking about me...

yeah... I was thinking that as well.....
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 6 miles

May Total: 6/170

496 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Today's run was average. Nothing terrible, nothing wonderful, lol. It was a bit windy, and I think it was about 5-6°F warmer than the predicted high for the day from this morning, which was annoying.

In more exciting news, I can't believe the Tinkerbell Half is less than two weeks away! I have all my costume pieces, just need to put the lights into the skirt I got. Can't wait for this trip!

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

yeah... I was thinking that as well.....

Yup, same here....
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 In my own defense I come to a dead stop at stop lights and just glare at anyone trying to turn right daring them to cut in front of me.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I have to say that it feels good to be on a regular routine of strength training again. For most of the many years that I had been running, I always did some type of strengthening and yoga along with it. It wasn't until recently that I got caught up in thinking in terms of the number of miles I had to run, that I let the strength training fall to the way side. So here I am, trying to nurse myself back from an injury. I know I will not make that mistake again. I see that there are a lot of new runners here this month, so I just want to stress that point in hopes that it may save at least one of you from falling into the trap of getting too caught up in mileage numbers. Add your miles slowly and don't forget about strengthening and stretching and you will stay injury free!

While I share your hope that this will save someone a similar experience, I am not optimistic. This is pretty much what happened to me last year when I ended up with Achilles tendinitis. We runners tend to learn the hard way.

On the bright side, it might help someone manage to learn to do strength training with only *one* episode of physical therapy to pound the lesson in. I do remember the sound track when I'm learning the hard way. Oh, yeah, THIS is what the more experienced runners meant!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    So another rest day for me. I don't plan on doing any running this week but instead focus on recovery from the weekend.

I am trying to figure out what I want to do next. Find a September marathon and try again for BQ 2018, or just scratch the idea and sign up for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon which is in November. Indianapolis is a 6 hour drive (not too bad) and my mom lives in Ft. Wayne, and I have friends in Indiana. Indianapolis is a fast flat course that will allow me to qualify for Boston 2019.

If I want another shot at Boston 2018, then I need to find a September marathon. That's either in Washington DC; Chicagoland; Grand Rapids, MI; Erie, PA; or Allentown, PA. All are kinda far drives.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So another rest day for me. I don't plan on doing any running this week but instead focus on recovery from the weekend.

I am trying to figure out what I want to do next. Find a September marathon and try again for BQ 2018, or just scratch the idea and sign up for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon which is in November. Indianapolis is a 6 hour drive (not too bad) and my mom lives in Ft. Wayne, and I have friends in Indiana. Indianapolis is a fast flat course that will allow me to qualify for Boston 2019.

If I want another shot at Boston 2018, then I need to find a September marathon. That's either in Washington DC; Chicagoland; Grand Rapids, MI; Erie, PA; or Allentown, PA. All are kinda far drives.

I'm told Erie is pretty flat. It's a favorite BQ attempt venue for runners around here. Granted, the drive from western NY to Erie is much easier than a drive from Alabama to Erie.

I'm 90% sure I'll attempt the MVP Rochester Marathon again this year, just to prove the course won't defeat me. It typically falls in the middle of Boston registration, making a double BQ possible; but the course is not a good geography for attempting a difficult BQ target.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Stoshew71 -This is a local marathon that will be in its second year. The owner of my local running store (Mojo Running in West Chester, OH) is going to be the race director and it is going to be a Boston qualifier. I did not run it last year, but the course was basically 4 times around a 10K loop, with the appropriate distance adjustments where needed. i am not sure if it will remain the same this year though. It is also a night race. If I am healthy and I decide to better my BQ time before registration, this will be the one I do. Might be a little closer for you. Just an FYI...

http://www.hamiltonnightglow.com/

A good portion of the course is on the bike path along the Great Miami River. i run there on occasion. It's flat and fast. It should also be a small race and is only $60.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 -This is a local marathon that will be in its second year. The owner of my local running store (Mojo Running in West Chester, OH) is going to be the race director and it is going to be a Boston qualifier. I did not run it last year, but the course was basically 4 times around a 10K loop, with the appropriate distance adjustments where needed. i am not sure if it will remain the same this year though. It is also a night race. If I am healthy and I decide to better my BQ time before registration, this will be the one I do. Might be a little closer for you. Just an FYI...

http://www.hamiltonnightglow.com/

A good portion of the course is on the bike path along the Great Miami River. i run there on occasion. It's flat and fast. It should also be a small race and is only $60.

That is awesome to know. Thanks for the info.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You might be a runner as well as a teacher if you find a random sewing needle in your desk and decide to lance a blister then cover it with oversize band-aids from the class first aid kit.

@mnlittlefinn shame on you http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/blisters :smiley:
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    First dreadmill run in ages today, and I remember why I hate it. Just doesn't feel right. More difficult, even. And so BORING. But I got it done. May go for another run outside this evening if I can fit it in.

5/1: 2.0 (2.0/30)
    5/2: 2.25 TM (4.25/30)
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    That was absolutely hilarious! It is soooo getting sent on to my running buddies!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    You might be a runner as well as a teacher if you find a random sewing needle in your desk and decide to lance a blister then cover it with oversize band-aids from the class first aid kit.

@mnlittlefinn shame on you http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/blisters :smiley:

ahahahahahahahaha yeah, I'm not the best example for blister care..... it was really annoying me, so it had to go!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    That was absolutely hilarious! It is soooo getting sent on to my running buddies!

Dang. Blocked at work. Will have to check it out when I get home.

Can you all tell what a productive day I am having at work? Focus, Lori, focus...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@Stoshew71 Though it is pretty far, Via in Allentown is a fave for last minute qualifiers. Last year was really hot, so this year it should be more seasonable and reasonable. It's just a hella expensive race and you definitely won't have a convenient hotel booking this "late" since it's a small town point-to-point course. If I'd been un-injured for it last year (and had it been 20 degrees cooler... 78 at the start? no thanks!), it would have been a solid BQ course for me.

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Haha, brilliant :joy:

Only a little dreadmill run for me today because I was early for Spin. That was my first ever Spin class and woooow was that hard. It'll be so good for my quads and glutes though, my weak spots, so I'm going to keep going, even though I hated it. So many of the fast, injury-free runners at my club do it that it has to help!

May Running Challenge

1st - 3.55 miles
    2nd - 1.1 miles +Spin

MTD - 4.65/60 miles

Upcoming Races
    14th May - Olympic Park 10km
    25th June - Greenwich Park 10km
    22nd July - Richmond Riverside 10km
    15th October - Manchester HM

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Well, I don't do ALL of those things. I never run in place while I wait for the light to change. Just stand there looking annoyed.