Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    10th-15th in Georgia.
    13-May: Battle of Byron 5K, GEICO/Special Olympics 5K (Macon), Back the Blue Glow Run 5K/10K (Warner Robins)

Just FYI.

I'll keep that in mind!!!! I'll be down for running all over Georgia!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a rough month. Despite how nice it is outside, I opted for the treadmill because of the serious electrolyte issues I've been having and the calf cramps. I didn't want to be stuck too far from home if/when the calf cramps made it difficult or impossible to walk, much less run.

It started shortly after 1/2 mile, and by 0.77 miles, I stopped the treadmill and grabbed some electrolyte tablets. With those, I went back at it and things only got worse. I finally couldn't take it any more at 1.2 miles. This is after stopping a few times and basically walking the rest at <2 mph for the most part. Must get these electrolytes in check ASAP... it's been days of pain now. :(

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - This isn't really the kind of group that would suggest you save your wallet and skip out on running shoes you would like to have. Part of me suspects you know this, meaning you are already planning on keeping them once enough of us give sufficient cause. So I say keep them not only as an investment against future shoe costs, but also as a reward for your recommital to running. They can also serve as incentive to keep you running since you already paid for them and all. :smile: That's at least 3 great reasons. You can blame me and the others if your budget gets a bit tight. We're here for you like that! :smiley:

@kristinegift all of this ^^^
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    3.1 today. Friend and I took a route we normally avoid because I'm a wuss and it has some major hills. But, we have our 8 mile trail race this weekend, and it was a good way to remind me I actually AM prepared for this race this year, unlike last year. Friend is crazy, but she is also smart at getting me out of my anxious brain games.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for that link @7lenny7
    "So yeah, maybe it is a good thing to have goals. Mine’s to not die like an *kitten*."
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    2.6 mi on the treadmill earlier this evening. Was gorgeous outside but I had an allergy attack earlier in the day that flared my asthma, so I figured I better be safe inside.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - Well, I don't do ALL of those things. I never run in place while I wait for the light to change. Just stand there looking annoyed.

@karllundy neither do I and seeing someone do that, which is very rare, annoys the piss out of me. I feel embarrassed for those people!

I like to stand as still as possible, do some deep diaphragmatic breathing and see how low I can get my HR before the light turns green.

I just pace back and forth until the light changes.
    I get annoyed at people who don't look for pedestrians when turning right on red :neutral:

I rarely have to, but I just turn left (right for non-US) at an intersection and go against traffic until there's an opening then cross that lane then run the median and do the same for the other lane. I know it's a little dangerous and illegal, but it also adds some excitement and breaks up the run.
  • tloliphant
    tloliphant Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    5/2 5.52 miles
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May goal: wear sunblock

May 1: sat on my okole. All. Day. Long.
    May 2: 3.13

Total: 3.13

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017/) (physical and virtual options available)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Darn that sounds like my co-worker who is just getting into running and has 3,000,000 questions. Hilarious.
    We only have 5 stop lights in town so pretty easy to avoid them and just keep on running. Usually if a Traffic light is involved it's because we are out as a group so don't want to lose the slightly slower members.

@skippygirlsmom that blister article highlights my errors. My feet can be like sandpaper after a day in Heavy Steel Toed work boots - must apply some lotion - I can hear the Peanut Gang at work giving me the gear's for that.

@KatieJane83 I hope the lights are LED strips! Just sounds like a fun event.

@MNLittleFinn Hey Minnie Pearl you left the tags on. Shoes look good - hope they fly for you.

@kristinegift Really ?? You asked a bunch of Shoe Addicts for advice?? Its obvious keep them!!!
    I think @MobyCarp summed it up best of all
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @kristinegift - It took me far too long to figure this out, but . . . new running shoes are a heck of a lot cheaper than a new round of PT appointments.

@midwesterner85 Good plan staying on the Dreadmill until you get the electrolytes back in balance. I strained a calf once and it was a long slow 5km hobble back to where a fellow runner could pick me up with her car, after she had finished the days run - because I was so slow. I remember someone in another thread said they added small quantities of Magnesium into the mix after they had a really bad post race issue.

5.5 km of playing in the East Side River Bank Hills along the Power Line Right of ways. Wearing Road shoes but should of had my Peregrine Trail Shoes on for some of the steep technical parts. Which means I have to go back to the same area in the near future. Some steep climbs and descents. It was a bit of a scouting mission as I have not spent a lot of time in the area even though it is only 1k from my front door. You know its steep when you are forced into a walk on a hill and Garmin :DAuto Pauses as it thinks you have stopped moving ( Garmin said 26% grade). To many amazing trails so there is always one more unknown. Just so much fun - Now just to get the Wild Rose Thorns out of my ankles and heels.
    The best part was looking across the River and picking out portions of the West Side Trails that I could see.

05/01 0 km – 160 km - 0 km – YTD 420.15
    05/01 11.5 km – 148.5 km - 11.5km – YTD 431.65 Riverbank to Mann Flats
    05/02 5.5 km – 143.0 km - 17.0km – YTD 437.15 Powerline & East Side Hills
    exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    1/5 2 miles. Mostly walking as I bumped into some friends.
    2/5 4 miles. An ok-ish run along the river bank.
    3/5 1.8m meh. a leaden legs run

Having mostly 'meh' runs this week. Not 'why-do-I-run?' type meh, just leaden legs and not bothered by the whole running thing. But that's ok, I'm just going through the motions this week - keeping the legs moving slightly in preparation for my Half at the weekend. Also decided that despite what everyone says about the Half route being hard and better to wear road shoes, I am going to stick to my trail shoes as planned. Yes, they rub on the little toes, yes, I could do with a size bigger as my toes hit the front and they are a little narrow, but I KNOW they can get me through the distance. Need to go shopping for more trail shoes soon though......

• SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May 2 - 3.58 miles
    May 3 - 3.58 miles
    May total - 7.16 miles
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Got a 10K event planned for June, for which I am trying to aim to run it in 50 minutes. Probably completely nuts, but one needs to have a challenge :smiley:
    So far I have been concentrating on endurance for my HM, so this will be a different approach I guess. Any advice much appreciated ... thankee sai
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Got a 10K event planned for June, for which I am trying to aim to run it in 50 minutes. Probably completely nuts, but one needs to have a challenge :smiley:
    So far I have been concentrating on endurance for my HM, so this will be a different approach I guess. Any advice much appreciated ... thankee sai
    Switch out two of your midweek runs for speedwork. Do intervals on one day and a steady pace the other. Intervals should start small, say 400m, and build out to 800m, 1200m, 1600m. The steady run can be a tempo or race effort pace, being sure to do at least your first mile as a warm up. For the race pace effort, save that pace for your last mile or two, and once (if) you feel up for it go for the final 5k at that pace.

Be nice to yourself. It is easy to get injured when adding speedwork after a period of endurance only workouts. So ease into it, but make sure you still get an honest workout.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/1: 3 miles
    5/2: 4 miles
    5/3: We'll see...

Nothing yet. I got a massage yesterday to get the stiffness out of my calves, quads, and back, but only my legs feel good today. The massage therapist was really amazing; he told me all the ways that my legs were more/less tight than the other and gave me some good tips for foam rolling and stretching and gave me two book recommendations (The Foundation by Goodman and Awareness through Movement by Feldenkrais) and told me to come back for a 90 minute session before/after my 50k for a full tune-up.

However my back still feels awful. I am definitely going to have to look into a local chiropractor and try to get in ASAP. My soon-to-be-PT-school-attending roommate told me that if the massage didn't help, it's likely my SI joint -- especially because it only hurts when I lean forward/back or try to bend and because it's all on one side of my lower back. It actually hurts more to sit than it does to walk/run/move (it actually doesn't hurt at all when walking or running), but I'd rather have there be no pain at all!

So hopefully I can get an appointment today and come back with a run tonight. Fingers crossed!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    7/1: Finger Lake Fifties 50k (trail)
    10/8: Steamtown Marathon (BQ Attempt #3)

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/message-runners-everywhere-shutttttt-uppppppp -- was hilarious! Thanks for sharing. That's why we come here! I try not to talk about my running with non-runners. But it's not easy.

@kristinegift - welcome back! I agree with the others! Keep 'em.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Switch out two of your midweek runs for speedwork. Do intervals on one day and a steady pace the other. Intervals should start small, say 400m, and build out to 800m, 1200m, 1600m. The steady run can be a tempo or race effort pace, being sure to do at least your first mile as a warm up. For the race pace effort, save that pace for your last mile or two, and once (if) you feel up for it go for the final 5k at that pace.

Be nice to yourself. It is easy to get injured when adding speedwork after a period of endurance only workouts. So ease into it, but make sure you still get an honest workout.

That helps, I will see what my base pace is on Saturday, and work from there. I think my recent best time for a 10K was around 53 minutes, so we'll see what we can shave off, and see if 50 minutes is achievable