May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @garygse - Probably a combination of all of those things. Some days are just like that. then the next one is usually awesome, so you have that to look forward to!

@KatieJane83 -I love it!!! So cute, especially the shirt. We expect full photos from the race. Good luck and have fun!

@iofred -Great advice from @WhatMeRunning . Especially the part about not pushing too hard to avoid injury. You have to challenge yourself, but a good warm up and cool down will go a long way.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Tracking my monthly "non-running" progress for accountability:

May 1 -P90X3 Total Synergistics + 20 minutes stretching and foam rolling
    May 2- P90X3 Agility+ 45 minutes stationary bike at gym (rolling hills, level 7)
    May 3- Swimming laps 25 minutes -1000M

I finally joined the gym yesterday evening. After my orientation, it was starting to get late, so I just did an easy workout on the exercise bike. I set it for random hill workout for 45 minutes. It asked me to choose level 1-20. I selected 7 because I didn't want too much resistance for my legs, especially since I had done the agility workout in the morning and my hamstrings had been sore all day. It ended up being pretty easy. My average HR was only 103, so I am not sure how much of a cardio kick it was, but at least it kept my legs loose.

My swim this morning was a different story. Whew, I have not swam freestyle laps in eons and that was pretty obvious. I ended up doing 1000M, but it took me 25 minutes with the pauses I needed after each 50-100M lap. I saw a guy I know from our running group who does full Iron Mans. He was swimming in the lane next to me and was lapping me about every other lap. What a humbling experience! I know that this is what it is like when you first start out running, and the advancements come quick, so I am just going to keep at it. At least I know I am getting some cardio conditioning in. On the bright side, my legs were sore before going in, but they feel pretty nice and loose now, so I think this will be good for me overall. On the other hand, my arms and shoulders! Holy smokes! Not sure if it's DOMS from the 2 P90X3 sessions or from the swimming, but, wow, they are nice and sore! P90X3 yoga on the schedule for this evening. Looking forward to it!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 looks like you're starting out great with the non-running workouts! About the swimming, I'd have to take breaks every length, I am no amphibian, that's for sure! Great job!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/1 - 3.5 mi.
    5/2 - rest
    5/3 - 6.2 mi.

May goal: 9.7/100mi.

Upcoming:
    May 6 - Erin's Run 5K (Bangor, ME)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    RE: stop lights and having to stop at corners.
    My attitude is, I am running at 5:30 in the morning. Who the heck is driving their car that early in the morning. it's the runners' road until 7 AM. LOL

Truth. One of the reasons I love running in the morning is that the residential roads are all but deserted. Been trying to run more on asphalt than sidewalks for the sake of my IT band. Luckily the only sidewalk I have to run on is along the busy street right outside my apartment complex, which lasts all of about half a mile.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mile walk
    5/2 - 15 min plyo/15 min weights/3 mi run/1 mi walk

My legs were toast after 30 mins of jumping and strength training after work yesterday, but I managed to recoup and make dinner for the guys and then I went out and ran 3 miles. First mile was rough with burning shins and took about 11:30 with stops to walk and stretch shins. Then I used my metronome again for 2 miles. Second mile was 10:09 and third was 9:55 but still had some walk breaks and stops. The metronome seems to get me moving because I managed to hold a 9:13 pace for .4 mile but I can't sustain it. Grrrr! I'm eventually going to get my speed back. I do see this as progress that the metronome is at least getting my feet moving faster even if I have to take breaks.

QUESTION: Any ideas on why my shins burn only when I start running? This started a few months ago and I'm able to work it out and it doesn't seem to turn into full blown shin splints (although if I ran more miles it probably would!) I warm up for half a mile walking before I run and I start off running slow. I just can't figure out why I've developed this shin problem while running only about 30 miles per month???? I'm going to try not running in the Launch 2 shoes for awhile and see if that helps because it was around the time I switched shoes I think that this started. But after 9 days off running (mostly due to sickness) I was frustrated to still have the burning shins for my first mile last night, and in different shoes. It goes away if I walk a bit and stretch my shins by turning my foot under. It never gets any worse but it never gets any better either!
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    05/01: 4 miles
    05/03: 4 miles

Cold, sunny morning in the mountains. Same 4 miles of hills but took almost two minutes off previous time :)

8 miles total, 42 to go
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    no run this morning, I just could not wake up, and Im still feeling sluggish, blah, hope im not getting sick. I also have a strange pain in my left hip/leg, it hurts like the first 1 or 2 steps I take then goes away until i sit down again and then get back up, its been since yesterday, I think I might have pulled something on the elliptical the other day, running yesterday didnt make it worse, so If I have time tonight, I will hop on the treadmill for 3 miles after the little one lays down for bed. Dang I cant wait for my husband to quit this 2nd job, its M,W, and F 5-10pm so it really interrupts my running time. But I guess Ill have to force myself to get up earlier anyways because running in the heat of summer aint happening