What seasonal food are you eating this month?

Options
1235»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Beefsteak tomatoes are coming ... the first one is just starting to turn red. *excited*

BTW, the eggplant are excellent. Ping Tung has zero bitterness, but gets soft when cooked. Chao Praya has a bit of bitterness to the skin (not much, it's slightly more than I like when eaten raw), but stays nice and solid and 'meaty' when cooked. Cooking seems to get rid of the bitterness, so I think it's my favorite of the two.

Mitoyo is almost big enough to harvest, maybe eggplant parm next week ...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Beefsteak tomatoes are coming ... the first one is just starting to turn red. *excited*

BTW, the eggplant are excellent. Ping Tung has zero bitterness, but gets soft when cooked. Chao Praya has a bit of bitterness to the skin (not much, it's slightly more than I like when eaten raw), but stays nice and solid and 'meaty' when cooked. Cooking seems to get rid of the bitterness, so I think it's my favorite of the two.

Mitoyo is almost big enough to harvest, maybe eggplant parm next week ...

*jealous!*

Just thinking about a juicy beefsteak hot off the vine makes my mouth water.

I am just putting in tomatoes and eggplants. I put in three Hillbilly tomatoes at our large community garden and the deer have nipped off two--not sure if they will recover. Of course they went for the fanciest slicer tomato seedlings--they know what's good.

Last night I harvested some garlic scapes, which I will probably use as garnish for soup and pasta; probably about a half pound of rhubarb (all I am doing is making and eating rhubarb crisp this season, ha ha); and the straw I used in the garden last year has, naturally, sprouted, but I learned that our 4 bunnies go nutballs over what is called "wheat hay" when harvested before maturity, so I am harvesting that and saving a chunk of change on those stupid bags of timothy hay I get at the farm store. So I am feeling very virtuous and frugal, for turning a liability into an asset.
  • rogerlamar6
    rogerlamar6 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Virginia. My garden lettuce, spinach and kale are wonderful (cool and plenty of rain) and coming faster than we can eat. I am giving the bolted arugula to my neighbor for her chickens....in exchange for eggs. I picked the last of my sour cherries over the weekend. Blueberries are just ripening.....maybe another week for those. Carrots and beets are about two weeks out. Tomatoes are about 3-4 weeks out (plenty of green ones!) and my apples, pears and peaches are about two months out. I love this time of year!!!