Body fat % in women

Options
1235»

Replies

• gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    @gym4life64 Thanks! I saw that GNC sells calipers. I thought at first they were only for people trying to lose weight.
    Last month I unintentionally lost 6 lbs taking me down to 89lbs at 4'11". That's alot for me .
    I started lifting again after almost 15 years of not, and doubled my caloric intake.
    I have gained 5lbs in 2 weeks. Hoping to be a lean 105lbs by October. Fingers crossed.

Calipers will help you as well, because while you are trying to gain weight (muscle) you don't want to put on too much fat in the process. They are just a tool to gauge your eating and training. So, train heavy! Chase the pump also! Then eat clean healthy food.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Thanks @Gimsteinn1 that is interesting. Sounds like Model Fitness is similar to bikini. Sometimes I think I would love to compete but honestly I could not imagine dedicating that much time, money and leaning out that low. It's just not something I think I can do. Maybe in 6-7 years and a few more bulk cycles later, I will give it some more thought ;)

A lot of our local bodybuilding feds have both bikini and fitness categories. In the feds with both, bikini is generally less muscular, and softer, but still lean. Shape is important, but not so much definition. Fitness girls have more muscle, definition, often do 2 rounds (bikini and sportswear), and need abs. There is also fitness atheltic/performance which is like figure but with an acro/dance routine.

Ifbb/npc only has bikini, they are harder and more defined than other feds "bikini" categories...

Also one has bikini athletic too, NSL I believe in between bikini and figure which is nice.
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options
    Hard to tell @Ironandwine69. You look pretty lean, but you also look to have considerable boobs. It'll be interesting to see how the Dexa comes back. As you can see from pictures here, people with the same BF can look drastically different depending on their amount of muscle mass and BF distribution. I would guess closer to 20% just from your pic.

Yeah boobs...story of my life lol.
    I think I look leaner than I really am because I've been lifting for a while and have a decent muscle mass. I just started a cut a month ago. Am planning on continuing for another two months and see what happens.

How did it go Dexa wise?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell @Ironandwine69. You look pretty lean, but you also look to have considerable boobs. It'll be interesting to see how the Dexa comes back. As you can see from pictures here, people with the same BF can look drastically different depending on their amount of muscle mass and BF distribution. I would guess closer to 20% just from your pic.

Yeah boobs...story of my life lol.
    I think I look leaner than I really am because I've been lifting for a while and have a decent muscle mass. I just started a cut a month ago. Am planning on continuing for another two months and see what happens.

How did it go Dexa wise?

It was not too far from the cheap Omron monitor.
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options
    Welp my cut has been meh, but no mater what I have a DEXA set for for June 19th when I am off work and will see where I am at. Will take pictures before hand too go with it, might schedule a follow up for Sept (they do a discount for 2 scans)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Welp my cut has been meh, but no mater what I have a DEXA set for for June 19th when I am off work and will see where I am at. Will take pictures before hand too go with it, might schedule a follow up for Sept (they do a discount for 2 scans)

Don't be too hard on yourself, life happens right. I am sure you are doing amazing and have made progress since your bulk, then it will be really neat to see your results from June DEXA to September. Can't wait to hear/see how it goes
  • sunflowerhippi
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I know from my previous post some of you will find this interesting so I thought I would share it in this group as well.

Dexa Scan results
    21.3% body fat
    Was 22.4% at 144lbs last year this time via bodpod so would have been higher if dexa then obviously. (probably closer to 25%)

17.2% upper body fat
    34.7% lower body

16.85 lbs of fat on my legs vs 13.02lbs on my upper body (includes breast tissue) give or take as the one area overlaps a bit.
    Not bad, and not shocking the major difference of 17% vs 34% as I carry so much heavier on my lower half.

19275140_10100334437398701_3929682850502434703_n.jpg?oh=cb9cfa8b1ac6fb7c052c715a0b152bbe&oe=59D15AD2

19225247_10100334437473551_4067765132832117034_n.jpg?oh=ff1c8cca74c517d2dfeae0afd816d075&oe=59D66EF3

Goal is now to continue lifting heavy, work on cutting down probably another 7-10lbs and it should put me at my goal of 15-16% Then do a follow up once that is reached and then set my stage goal for a figure comp next spring if I don't chicken out. hahaha
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Great results @sunflowerhippi thank you for sharing. You look fantastic! And that is really awesome you should definitely compete.
  • sunflowerhippi
    Options
    Yeah my scale said 147 today so once I hit 138-140 we will see. The idea of cutting down to 132-134 while only 5lbs more those last 5lbs I know how hard it was to hit 134 last fall. A friend says once you pick a date it really becomes easier to stick to the diet but I'm not sure competing is for me and that doubt could be my kicker.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I agree picking a date would probably help you stick to a deficit. I had no problem losing when I had a bet going with my son. Without that, I tend to say, "ehhhh..."

And also second that you would look amazing if you competed. However you look fabulous now, you are super strong, and probably at a very easily maintainable leanness. So don't get down on yourself if you decide to hang out at that weight.