Home workout buddies to share ideas and help keep motivated

Options

Replies

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It's the same idea with some new moves. Just imagine if 30 day shred had 7 levels instead of 3...with different girls, lol

Lol! Okay. Sounds like I'd like it. I need to make a decision in the next month or two when I will start a lifting program otherwise I may just keep poking around at various videos and/or creating my own lifting sequences. I'm only lifting once a week now because I still need to drop some pounds. Don't really know what I'm doing LOL but I'm soon figure it out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't understand "only lifting once a week now because I still need to drop some pounds." You should lift while losing weight to preserve muscle.
  • KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't understand "only lifting once a week now because I still need to drop some pounds." You should lift while losing weight to preserve muscle.

Agreed, I regretted not lifting earlier.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

Lol! PRECISELY what I meant about I don't know what I'm doing. For one I don't have weights in my home. So this month I'm going to the gym once a week and lifting heavy and the other days of the week I'm using 8lb dumbbells with both my DVD workouts. I haven't got to the point where I want to do more lifting and less cardio. Not yet. I guess because I'm thinking more cardio for more weight loss although I've heard the opposite works as well. Regardless Im going to finish up JM this week and choose some other cardio workout program for next month and probably in August spend more time in the gym lifting. I guess .... **she shrugs her shoulders***.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    What you are doing actually sounds ok. Its kinda what I did while losing, but I did lose too much muscle. Why don't you try lifting heavy 2x/week (full body routine) and then maybe once do a video with your dumbells. Something like M/F heavy, Wed with dumbbells, cardio T/TH/Sa/Su?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    What you are doing actually sounds ok. Its kinda what I did while losing, but I did lose too much muscle. Why don't you try lifting heavy 2x/week (full body routine) and then maybe once do a video with your dumbells. Something like M/F heavy, Wed with dumbbells, cardio T/TH/Sa/Su?

This is a GREAT suggestion. THANK YOU! I'm going to finish up what I'm currently doing and start that on the 3rd. I need to write out my lifting routine so this will give me time.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Why not use something like SL 5x5 for your heavy lifting? Easy to follow...
  • tobehappy2017
    tobehappy2017 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Down with cold and even walking is getting difficult.I am also eating back my walking calories (only 1 mile though) and extra 75ish calories for the past 2 days since feeling lightheaded(I have a kiddo at home for the break who keeps me on my toes,so need to be functional )
    I am scared about increasing my calorie in take if this goes on.what do you all do when down with minor sicknesses ?
    Drinking enough water to keep hydrated,but I am worse than a baby when I get down with cold.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I've looked and looked at it because it's the most suggested workout it I don't get it. 5X5? How much weight and increasing my weight every workout is a bit much. Plus I couldn't figure out if it was free or if it's a book or if it's online. Maybe I should revisit it with a different (positive) mindset. Oh I'm guessing 5X5 means 5 reps 5 times. Ha! I just got that. Also I don't have access to a barbell. Honestly I think I found the spreadsheet somewhere and it scared me. Also I think well I know I MUST clean up my diet when I switch to this journey. No more cupcakes, heavy pasta, and such.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    If walking is becoming difficult, it.may be more than a cold. I can workout with a cold. The flu, no.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

I've looked and looked at it because it's the most suggested workout it I don't get it. 5X5? How much weight and increasing my weight every workout is a bit much. Plus I couldn't figure out if it was free or if it's a book or if it's online. Maybe I should revisit it with a different (positive) mindset. Oh I'm guessing 5X5 means 5 reps 5 times. Ha! I just got that. Also I don't have access to a barbell. Honestly I think I found the spreadsheet somewhere and it scared me. Also I think well I know I MUST clean up my diet when I switch to this journey. No more cupcakes, heavy pasta, and such.

How do you lift heavy without access to a barbell? 5x5 does mean 5 sets of 5. It's only 5 main lifts: bench, squat, deadlifts, OHP, row. I would suggest doing those 5 lifts twice per week and your dumbbells workout the other day. You will need to find a gym with proper equipment.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

How do you lift heavy without access to a barbell? 5x5 does mean 5 sets of 5. It's only 5 main lifts: bench, squat, deadlifts, OHP, row. I would suggest doing those 5 lifts twice per week and your dumbbells workout the other day. You will need to find a gym with proper equipment.

That's exactly why I haven't started a "program" and I do a routine that I come up with. I don't have access to a barbell. I have dumbbells, a jump rope, a Pilates ribbon, a stability ball, a set of 10lb round weights and a yoga mat. That's it.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    But you said you were going to the gym to lift heavy...does the gym not have barbells?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    But you said you were going to the gym to lift heavy...does the gym not have barbells?

Correct. The gym does not have barbells.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Yesterday I did a short 20 min cardio DVD, then went out for a 5 mile run. Today was T25 core focus, 20 min yoga, then off to the gym for some lifting.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    What kind of gym is this with no barbells? Machines only?
  • mkeonem
    mkeonem Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Went on a short bike ride yesterday afternoon and it was way too hot.

Later on after the sun had pretty much set I went into my back yard an used the weed eater for about an hour, its been super rainy here lately so my yard looked like a jungle and was way too wet to use the mower. This evening I am planning on going and raking up all the trimmings so its not just piled up out there.
  • stephlk150
    stephlk150 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I was just gonna put my feet up and laze about a bit, excercise can start tomorrow but NO! U guys have inspired me, I'm in my gym gear, Pilates DVD going on reasy to burn some cals! Thank u for the inspiration keep up the good work xx :)
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

Correct. The gym does not have barbells.

You can do the same exercises with dumbbells as you do with barbells. You will eventually have a hard time getting the dumbbells up to your shoulders for squats as you progress...then you will need some alternatives. Chest press, squats, ohp, row--- all with dumbbells. You might need a modified version for deadlifts. I like single leg deadlifts.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    What kind of gym is this with no barbells? Machines only?

Dumbbells, bike, treadmills, elliptical, and yes other machines