Can I lift "heavy" without huge barbells?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
Is it even possible? I want to start lifting some over the summer before I go back to college in August. I REALLY want to tone as I lose. I've almost halfway to my goal of 98lbs and probably will be by sometime in June. I want to do my best to make loose skin less obvious and to tone my chest as much as I can (pectoral muscles..are they above and below? IDK if there are different exercises or exactly how that works...). I also plan on doing a lot of squats for my rear. lol. But anyway, is it even possible to work out hard/strength train hard when you have limited space? There is absolutely NO WAY I can have barbells. Our tiny 2 bedroom basement with 3 kids and 2 adults is already over packed. I can go to the gym *sometimes* but I do have kids with special needs so it won't be often enough to have a routine there.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Adjustable DBs are your friends.
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2017
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Adjustable DBs sound good. How much weight do you think is good or should I aim to get up to?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have the Bowflex adjustable dumbbell set.. I like it and it goes up to 52.5 lbs. Those plus some resistance bands (mini bands, long bands etc) as well as using your bodyweight.. you can definitely get a pretty good workout going.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have generic 1" adjustable dumbbells. You can buy handles and 1" plates separately, but they're most often sold as a 40lb set, which is likely fine to start with. In my area, they pop up on craigslist quite often. You can always buy more plates when you're ready, or better yet, snatch up another craigslist set! Unfortunately, they're much slower to change weights than the nicer Bowflex kind.

TRX/suspension training might be worth looking into as an alternative, but I don't have any personal experience to share.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You can start and adapt most barbell programs to work with dumbbells. I started with Ironmaster 45lbs adjustable DBs, which I bought used on Craigslist. Follow a progressive program and you should do fine.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I have generic 1" adjustable dumbbells. You can buy handles and 1" plates separately, but they're most often sold as a 40lb set, which is likely fine to start with. In my area, they pop up on craigslist quite often. You can always buy more plates when you're ready, or better yet, snatch up another craigslist set! Unfortunately, they're much slower to change weights than the nicer Bowflex kind.

TRX/suspension training might be worth looking into as an alternative, but I don't have any personal experience to share.

I buy all my plates at Goodwill for .50 per lb. If you do buy used, make sure to buy a matched pair of handles because different handles do vary in weight (up to 2 lbs diff in handle weight) & feel.
    I've also loved trx training. It's awesome and effective and infinitely adjustable/progressable. I suggest taking a class for awhile or working with a trainer to get your technique. The only downside is that you can't directly translate a barbell program to trx.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lifting your kids should do it. Make it a game.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Adjustable DBs sound good. How much weight do you think is good or should I aim to get up to?

More...when it becomes easy, add more weight. Don't become complacent.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just bought adjustable dumbbells at Walmart today for $15.
    They aren't anything fancy but they work. It came with 40lbs I think that's definitely enough to start with.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OP utilize your environment well and you will see that dumbbells are not necessary, they are just awesome convenient tools, but definitely not necessary.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I second dumbells, and - for when your legs demand more - get a weighted vest. Takes up no space (when you have it on) but can seriously increase the work needed on lunges/goblet squats/calf raises etc.

I workout in my bedroom, have 3 kids and have managed to strip off last 15lbs using diet, bodyweight and dumbbell/jacket workouts.

Best of luck.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    A really "cheap & dirty" solution in the meantime is large milk bottles/juice jugs. Fill with sand/dirt/pebbles and you have yourself a makeshift weight. You can do a lot with it and even if it only lasts you a couple of weeks, it's an extra couple of weeks where you can save money/find the real weights you need.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    A really "cheap & dirty" solution in the meantime is large milk bottles/juice jugs. Fill with sand/dirt/pebbles and you have yourself a makeshift weight. You can do a lot with it and even if it only lasts you a couple of weeks, it's an extra couple of weeks where you can save money/find the real weights you need.

Ha epic, had a buddy from Mexico that told me that trick. Shows you that if you want it bad enough, you will make a way!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can even lift "heavy" doing bodyweight exercises by picking movements and variations that are difficult to perform.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

More...when it becomes easy, add more weight. Don't become complacent.

I'm more likely to over do it than under.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thanks everyone! 40lbs per dumbell or do you mean 20 and 20? I tend to overreach and risk injury a lot so I want to be sure lol I hurt my shoulder a bit recently carrying home like 60lbs of groceries for a 20 minute walk with 18lbs of bottle water on my shoulder and hurt it. Lol. I guess it's ok to lift but not to put the weight on the wrong spot. But I just want to be sure so I don't over estimate what's ok again and end up hurting myself lol
  • jilljackson46
    jilljackson46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and ask a person who works there to help you. Explain why you need to work out at home and they will definitely help you get sorted with what you need. Most gym instructors are very approachable and genuinely care about helping people achieve their goals. They can help you decide the amount of weight you should be lifting and more importantly technique so you don't injure yourself.