How often do you check the weight scale??

Options

Replies

• Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow...I didn't realize how many people check their weight every single day. I don't think I can do it, I understand that there will be some fluctuations and all that science stuff happening but I would still get discouraged lol.

Everyone's different I guess. I'm sticking with bi weekly.
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigher here! I am a scientist and always appreciate current data input. As long as you focus on the trend and not the number, you will be good. I would go nuts if I had been doing well on the single weekly weigh in captured an errant 3 lb jump (which happens sometimes). I couldn't wait another week, not knowing what is going on!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    Wow...I didn't realize how many people check their weight every single day. I don't think I can do it, I understand that there will be some fluctuations and all that science stuff happening but I would still get discouraged lol.

Everyone's different I guess. I'm sticking with bi weekly.

You do what works best for you. In my opinion, the only potential problem with weighing only once every 2 weeks is this (at least at first): If you weigh yourself now and then again in 2 weeks and see that the number has not changed, that can be discouraging. You will think you did not lose any weight.

But what if you ate a sodium-heavy meal the day before your official "weigh in"? What if hormones are making you retain water that particular day? It would be possible that you DID in fact lose weight, but your timing of stepping on the scale is making it appear as though you did not. That's why a lot of us weigh every day...to understand the overall trend a little better and to NOT fret about every ounce. I know that seems backwards, but obsessive weighing CAN help you become LESS obsessive about your weight.

This is just a generalization, though. I can definitely see how daily weighing is not right for everyone and can be harmful.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm another daily weigher. I weigh myself every morning and enter the data into an Excel spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet a have a graph with a 7-day moving average trendline, and it's this trendline that I pay attention to. 7 days is enough to smooth out daily fluctuations. I only enter my weight on MFP about once a week, though.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day has taught me a lot about normal weight fluctuations. I have a maitainence range of about 5 pounds, and it is interesting for me to see how my diet, exercise, and hormonal schedule influences that number. If you understand that your weight is not going to be one number, but a range, weighing every day may be beneficial. Log and chart the weight each day and as long as you see a general downward trend, you're doing well. Just don't obsess every time you are up a pound or two, as normal fluctuations account for that.

^^ This. I used to only weigh once a week. Weighing first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before I put clothes on gives the best insight into daily fluctuations with weight. It used to drive me batty that I would keep up a deficit and gain weight from day to day, until I started noticing the trends and tracking them. Now I don't sweat the up-ticks as much as I used to. It's helped my perspective on this whole ordeal much more than the last time I embarked on this journey.

But definitely not for everyone. Do whatever offers you the most peace of mind.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh daily but I was getting way obsessive about it. Now I don't even keep a scale at home and I weigh once a month on the same scale at the gym.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Once every two weeks OR if I notice my clothes are fitting a little snugger then normal.
  • smileyrylee2016
    smileyrylee2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week first thing in the morning at my kids MMA gym on Sundays. I don't need to weigh in everyday and watch the fluctuations and find it more positive to just do it once a week. Remember even if the scale doesn't move down but you've been working hard you may just have trimmed inches off :) I recommend either taking before pics or measuring yourself to see the actual change
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most days, but not always every day. I can see in the mirror when I'm bloated, numbers going up a little doesn't bother me too much.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    once a month on the first; i am in an accountability group now so i am doing weekly weigh ins with the ladies
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Once a week on a Friday. Always try to weigh around the same time and don't weigh yourself everyday.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Every day. I used to have terrible scale anxiety, but the regular weighing helped me see the difference in weight gain and fluctuations, and unexpectedly helped me divorce my sense of personal self-worth from the number.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    Once a week on a Friday. Always try to weigh around the same time and don't weigh yourself everyday.

Why? If you'd read the other posts, many people find weighing every day the best way to go...
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well I appear to be an outlier here....I weigh often...a couple times a day if I'm home, like the weekends. I just like seeing the numbers fluctuate throughout the day, it helps me not panic when things go up and down from day to day. It calms me in some weird way. I only log my weight from Monday's and I never count a weigh in if I've had alcohol the evening before (I'm always a false dehydrated weight the next morning) :) For normal people once a day or week seems to be the norm :p
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was becoming obsessed with checking my weight when I first started, I must have check twice a day for about 5 months now Im at the weight I am (almost ) happy with and now I no the scale with probably go up now that I am getting more Muscles. But if I were you I'd check every month or twice a month. I wish I would of told my self that. You will start to see changes in how your clothes fit but give it time and be patient I wasent seeing results until about 5-6 weeks. Good luck !!
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    4 more days and I'll check the weight scale for the first time in 2 weeks
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log into Happy Scale. It has a 14-day moving average and the overall trend, as long as they are showing the loss rate I am happy. Daily fluctuations don't bother me anymore. When I did WW years ago I only weighed in once a week and it was very discouraging if the scale didn't show a loss.

I log new lows into MFP.
  • ILoveGoal
    ILoveGoal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Daily <3
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    Cant wait till my next weigh in. I lost 5 pounds last time I checked :smile: