Trouble sometimes getting enough calories

Options
TejahBee
TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
So, some days I eat entirely meat free. This being low cal, makes it hard to get the correct amount of calories. I allow myself roughly 100 carbs a day. Eating meat free the whole day, I end up physically eating all day long and am super full. What can I supplement my calories with that isn't cheese or butter?

Replies

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nuts? Chocolate?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more when I eat meat-free. What to eat? Well, looking at your diary, what strikes me:

Most days seem fine, calorie-wise, except today. Eat what you did on prior days? Did you change your diet? It looks like you may have lowered carbs but are not hitting protein and fat. So eat more protein and fat! For example, you ate an egg plus egg white. Eat 2 whole eggs or to increase protein, 2 eggs and the egg white. Full fat greek yogurt is another idea. Fat and protein are REALLY low at dinner -- if you do eat tuna (it's in the diary), eat more? Add a couple eggs or the greek yogurt (which also makes a good snack), have avocado or nuts or peanut butter.

If you did just change macros to lower carbs, it's normal to maybe take a bit of time adjusting, don't worry if you aren't immediately perfect and go over, just use your diary to see what contributed what and adjust. However, if you do lower carbs it's important to increase the other macros. It's tough to lower carbs as a vegetarian if you decide you need to lower good sources of protein like legumes. Dairy (greek yogurt and cottage cheese are especially good for protein) and eggs are helpful.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Nuts!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Anything you can put oils like olive oil on? Also, I third nuts - a small bit goes a long way.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm a great fan of nut butter. If at the end of the day my calorie shows too low, then a few tablespoons of nut butter in a small pot of yogurt is a perfect evening snack. I like peanut, almond or walnut the best.