Reversed my diabetes

Options
2»

Replies

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time deciding whether to click the Inspiring button or the Awesome button because you're BOTH! Congratulations, that is amazing!
  • irxproductions
    irxproductions Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Congratulations! My story is incredibly similar - I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome at age 36 at 205 lbs. in November 2013 (I'm 5'9" tall), started using MFP in May 2014, and lost 45 lbs. by November 2014 resulting in no more metabolic syndrome! Best feeling in the world!

Now, I'm down to 145 lbs. and have been for more than a year, and I'll be 40 in literally a week. My best recommendation is to just keep using MFP. It's such a fantastic program. And nothing feels better than being in the best shape I ever have been while all my friends are "over-the-hill."

Congratulations, again! Welcome to the "I'm diabetic, no, wait, now I'm not" MFP Club! :)
  • irxproductions
    irxproductions Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Did you cut calories, carbs, both, etc? I read conflicting things about what to follow, so I consistently give up. I was reading about carb cycling as well, but again, differing opinions. Since you have been where I am at, what is your best advice regarding food?

Hi @kaileekason! I just saw your reply and thought I'd let you know what I did (I had metabolic syndrome).

Believe it or not, I didn't change my diet almost at all. I knew that if I took on completely different eating habits by changing my diet, I probably wouldn't stick with it, and would just gain all the weight back. The key for me was to carefully track QUANTITY and portion sizes.

I also made subtle changes that make a huge difference. For instance, if I need a quick meal and stop by fast food, I'll pick up a single Double Bacon Cheeseburger from Burger King (370 cal), but skip the fries and soda, opting for water (or a diet soda, if I'd like). Another quick tip at BK: the Whopper Jr. is about 250 calories if you tell them to hold the mayo.

That leads to my next series of tips:

1. Forgo the cheese. A single slice of cheddar carries about 80 calories. If you go to a Subway-type restaurant, they'll put 2-4 slices of that on a sandwich. 320 calories in cheese?! Yikes!

2. Substitute the mayo. Low-fat Hellman's Mayo is only 15 calories per tablespoon. I'll have Jimmy Johns hold the mayo on my carryout, and then put my own on at home. Plus, on a sandwich, I can't tell the taste difference between full-flavor and low-fat.

3. Own your own calorie intake. Remember that everyone's body is different. MFP does a great job giving a baseline, but if you're not losing weight at the calorie intake it suggests, that means you're either overestimating your exercise burn, or you're underestimating your intake. Adjust accordingly. If you're 100% accurate with your records and still not losing weight, it means your body is like mine - slow metabolism. Eat less.

4. Get used to feeling hungry. Society has taught us that the instant we feel hungry, we should eat. It sucks, but I've trained myself that feeling hungry is NOT a bad thing. I'm always slightly hungry, and, for me, the hardest part of losing weight is the self-control that comes from saying, "It's okay that I feel hungry. My next meal is just a few hours away."

5. Make sure you exercise. But make sure what you do today, you can also do tomorrow. It's exciting to get started losing weight and make healthy choices, but too many people want to jump in full force. Fortunately, I started working out at age 28 and work out 7 days a week, so when I needed to lose weight, I didn't need to put in the routine. But, if you're just starting an exercise routine, start small. Consider going on a brisk 30-minute walk each day. Once you get used to that, bump it up. Then, add weights. However, whatever you do to start, make sure you don't blow out a full-blown 2-hour workout and end up so sore you don't want to workout for DAYS afterward. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint - start small with something you can do everyday and add to it.

When I started working out, I rode a recumbent bike at low resistance for 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week. Over time, I increased the resistance. Then, I added more time at 5 minute increments. Now, I workout 7 days a week with the workouts running about 1 hr., 15 minutes. I own a Bowflex gym, a treadmill, and an elliptical. Don't forget to stretch after the workout (reduces soreness in your muscles)!

Even after 12 years of working out almost daily, I still don't enjoy working out (believe it or not), but the trick was to realize it's not your free time, it's maintenance. Don't let yourself skip working out - it's like doing laundry or brushing your teeth - it's a necessity, not an entertaining option.

I recommend picking up some headphones and finding something you like to listen to or watch while working out (be careful not to get distracted and reduce your exertion). I'm a big fan of the stock market, so I download CNBC's free daily podcasts of their Fast Money and Mad Money shows, and then listen to those while I work out. I get my exercise plus I keep up on the stock market. Podcasts are fantastic, by the way. There's bound to be something out there for everyone.

7. Best for last - Don't make excuses! I used to use all of the following excuses (and more):
    • Bigger men (or women) just run in my family. It's genetic.
    • I work out seven days a week, I should get to eat what I want to.
    • My metabolism is just slower/faster than others.
    • Muscle weighs more than fat (I found out this long-held adage actually ISN'T true)
    It took me awhile to realize that excuses are useless. Even if everyone believes your excuse, is that going to make you thinner and healthier? No. I no longer make excuses. Plus, I try to encourage and motivate others when they tell me, "I wish I could lose weight like you did, but... [insert excuse here]."

Final Notes:

Over the course of six months, I lost 40 pounds, got my blood test numbers in line, and no longer had metabolic syndrome. Now, I've lost a total of 60 pounds and have kept it off for more than a year.

REMEMBER: IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT! We're here for you! :)
  • Deresha1977
    Deresha1977 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    moreclan9 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing. I need to hear this. I was diagnosed in Feb 2017. I have been very good at cutting out added sugar, and limiting all sugar to less than 50g per day. I have lost nearly 40 lbs. Exercising 5 days a week, for 40 minutes cardio and weight lifting.
    I am to go back this month for another blood test A1c level. I am hoping I have managed to, at least, slow this process down.
    You give me hope that it is possible.

PS- I feel GREAT!

Have hope. Even the nhs and diabetes uk cant endorse it yet due to lack of research, although the evidence is stacking up fast, but look into low carb dieting. For a year i didnt eat rice, pasta, cereals, bread or potates, at all. Veg veg and more veg is your friend.
  • 1SewinSusan
    1SewinSusan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! So many of us worry about what we look like on the outside we tend to forget about our inside. I'm sure your body loves you for all the attention you have given it! Keep up the good work & enjoy the future!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!