Which gender title to use

Options

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would pick male. I am not completely familiar with how going on testosterone works but maybe, possibly, it could work similar to puberty. Do you think maybe hormones alone could contribute to a higher percent muscle mass, increasing your metabolic needs slightly?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I threw the flag. At my first read, the response sounded very much like the offensive things being said here regarding a NC bathroom law. My apologies. I was being oversensitive and my first instinct was to protect. I will take more time to read and observe before responding next time.

Again my apologies.

@Kepplekakes - thanks! My reasoning was the same as @TimothyFish's but I didn't know how to articulate it so I didn't include it. But given the NC bathroom law, I can see how you were confused, and I should have been more clearly supportive or avoided using language similar to what is used in that issue.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    beckmageau wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a transgender man newly on 80mg of testosterone every 2 weeks. Should I enter male or female in order to allow the app to properly calculate my metabolism? Thanks!

I would think the born gender (forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology) as the main difference is that men vs women have naturally different muscle mass. That impact the rate of energy use. I'm not sure it will change drastically as you transition. Its a good question though!
  • BenTheTransman
    BenTheTransman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've talked to my doctor. I'm also ftm. She told me since I'm on hormones to go as male if that helps
  • BenTheTransman
    BenTheTransman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also 8.5 months on t btw
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post to chime in support. Good luck!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Since you are gendering as a male and taking testosterone, then I would choose male as gender. If I picked female, that would go against who or what I felt about me, as a person.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lylloo wrote: »
    I would think the born gender (forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology) as the main difference is that men vs women have naturally different muscle mass. That impact the rate of energy use. I'm not sure it will change drastically as you transition. Its a good question though!

I can't agree. HRT changes your metabolism. Female hormones slow down your metabolism, while male hormones increase it. And not only that - a few weeks on hormones and your blood work will be reflecting your new hormonal balance with haemoglobin, uric acid, got, for showing I'm the right ranges for your gender once you have your endogenous hormones well suppressed.

It's entirely more complicated than that. It will take months to years for muscle/fat to redistribute and for the metabolism to adapt.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    80mg is a super low dose from my understanding. I would use female.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add my support, and also to thank @tklivory for an amazing and informative post.
    There can be a lot of mud slinging on these forums at times, but this has really helped remind me that there are amazing people out there who have relevant experiences and great information to share!

(I have a schoolfriend who's ftm and is being amazingly open about the whole process. He's further along with T (just over a year I think) and trying to get to a healthy weight for surgery. It's opening my eyes so much, and I feel privileged that he's chosen to share his journey with me.)
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'd use your gender if you're undergoing hrt, and your sex if you're not.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Gosh, I was thinking the very thing just today. Just a random thought that popped up in my mind, really. Thanks for asking this. I can imagine that this might be very confusing for you.

Would it feel wrong to chose female for you? I wonder if there's a cutoff for men where you cannot 'finish' a day if you go below 1500kcal. I only ever read about women going too low and not being able to finish their day. This might be something to consider. Otherwise I'd just try and see what works best for you. You might start with male for a month, and if you prefer to keep this option you might as well increase the loss rate from for example 1lbs per week to 1.5lbs per week. You end up with less food to eat, not reach the 1.5lbs if your body decides you have a female BMR, lose faster and look more comfortable for you. This of course depends on how much weight you have to lose. Just a thought.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, interesting answers. Seems like the small difference in the calculation between male and female is probably less than individual variation anyway, so as in any other situation, use your best judgement, track accurately, observe if you lose weight as expected and adjust your goals accordingly.
  • wavesleah
    wavesleah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're a man.
  • wavesleah
    wavesleah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're a man! Click male. be YOU
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    wavesleah wrote: »
    You're a man! Click male. be YOU

It's not an issue of acknowledging or denying one's identity. Biology does play a role in matters of physical health. However, as others have mentioned, calorie and macro goals can be manually adjusted as needed to color in the gray areas.
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Go with the gender you were born with until your transition is full
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with support. :) Congratulations on starting this stage of your transition! I remember how transformative HRT has been for my close friend. Really exciting that you're working towards the body you want in more ways than one.

Shooting you afriend request just in case you want more positivity on your dash. Good luck!