Anybody what exercises like crazy 5-6 days a week (burn more than 2,000 cal daily)?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I "burn" 3500 calories a day because that is my TDEE.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    On a non-exercise day my tdee is 2500 Calories. On an "exercise" day which is 3-5 times a week, it's closer to 4000 Calories.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I exercise for about an hour and burn around 400 calories which bumps my calories up to 2,400. If I am more active throughout the day I can burn up to 2,600.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    sueberlin wrote: »
    Just wondering if some people go into extremes when it comes to burn your calories. Does anyone burn between 2000 and 3500 cal daily? I have never done it but I am wondering if it is possible. I guess it would be super tiring unless you are athlete :wink:
    I EASILY burn that daily, but that includes my BMR.
    People that say they burn 1000 calories a day in exercise are usually VERY VERY fit people who spend a couple of hours minimum doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of factors, the most important one being your body weight and composition. Those that weigh more - either because they're looking to lose weight or those who have more LBM (or muscle) on them - will burn more. Are you talking that many calories in addition to your regular TDEE or that many calories total?

I weigh in at 245lbs, 5'10 with ~150lbs of LBM on me and I burn about 1,200 calories from a 2 hour session consisting of one hour of personal training and one hour of a boot camp class. I will burn about 500 calories from about 30 - 35 minutes of running, depends how hard I work. I could burn more I suppose but those numbers seem fairly normal to me and won't cause me to burn out. I do the 2 hour session once a week and run most other days - for a total of 5 - 6 days a week working out. I think those numbers are high, and you'd be spending hours of your day at the gym with some pretty high intensity workouts. If your body isn't used to it then you might burn out really fast.
  • sueberlin
    sueberlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lm827 wrote: »
    Just wondering if some people go into extremes when it comes to burn your calories. Does anyone burn between 2000 and 3500 cal daily? I have never done it but I am wondering if it is possible. I guess it would be super tiring unless you are athlete :wink:

Weight lifting (vigorous effort) burns 440 calories /hr. If you want to burn calories fast, drink lots of water, jump on a treadmill (for no less than 1 hour) and get that incline all the way up, and go at at least 2.5 MPH. You can also use the stairmaster; all this in combination with weight lifting. This type of routine requires a high level of expertise. I'm always available to answer any and all questions.

MyFitnessPal tells me if I go on a elliptrical for 60 min I burn a little over 1,000 cal. I have been on the elliptical in the past and easy 2 hours...Not recently but I didn't know that I was burning that much. Can I trust the numbers from MyFitnessPal?

If I remember the most often quoted formula for calculating running calories correctly, it's 0.63 x bodyweight x distance (miles). So even a 200 pound person would have to run around 8 miles in an hour (that's a 7:30/mile pace) to burn 1,000 calories.

I'd say the above quote of 440 calories per hour for weightlifting is overblown as well. Most weight lifting routines involve rest periods, and the heavier you're lifting the longer the rest periods usually are.

The biggest issue is that most people think they're burning a lot more calories in exercise than they actually are burning in reality. 2,000 calories of exercise a day is pretty intense and unless you're an elite athlete you're probably not going to be able to keep that up 5 to 6 days a week for long without overtraining and/or getting injured. Not to mention the fact that if you're in a calorie deficit, you're not adequately fueling those workouts in the first place.

Is your formula only for one hour? Or no matter how long it takes? I walked last Friday 5 miles in less than 2 hours. Does that mean according to your formula I burned about 866 cal? 0.63 x 275 x 5 miles = 866.25 Did I do that right?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options

Weight lifting (vigorous effort) burns 440 calories /hr. If you want to burn calories fast, drink lots of water, jump on a treadmill (for no less than 1 hour) and get that incline all the way up, and go at at least 2.5 MPH. You can also use the stairmaster; all this in combination with weight lifting. This type of routine requires a high level of expertise. I'm always available to answer any and all questions.

MyFitnessPal tells me if I go on a elliptrical for 60 min I burn a little over 1,000 cal. I have been on the elliptical in the past and easy 2 hours...Not recently but I didn't know that I was burning that much. Can I trust the numbers from MyFitnessPal?

If I remember the most often quoted formula for calculating running calories correctly, it's 0.63 x bodyweight x distance (miles). So even a 200 pound person would have to run around 8 miles in an hour (that's a 7:30/mile pace) to burn 1,000 calories.

I'd say the above quote of 440 calories per hour for weightlifting is overblown as well. Most weight lifting routines involve rest periods, and the heavier you're lifting the longer the rest periods usually are.

The biggest issue is that most people think they're burning a lot more calories in exercise than they actually are burning in reality. 2,000 calories of exercise a day is pretty intense and unless you're an elite athlete you're probably not going to be able to keep that up 5 to 6 days a week for long without overtraining and/or getting injured. Not to mention the fact that if you're in a calorie deficit, you're not adequately fueling those workouts in the first place.

Is your formula only for one hour? Or no matter how long it takes? I walked last Friday 5 miles in less than 2 hours. Does that mean according to your formula I burned about 866 cal? 0.63 x 275 x 5 miles = 866.25 Did I do that right?

That doesn't sound correct. About half that maybe.

And from the look of it, the formula mentioned is for running not walking.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

This isn't really here or there, but I think that formula should be taken with a grain of salt. When I started running, I used to bounce up and down a lot more, and I've improved my form over time, which means I'm wasting less energy on something that doesn't turn up in the math.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

This formula at Runner's World has it in calories per minute or calories per mile for running or walking...

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • beavsoccer19
    beavsoccer19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mean it can be done, but really there is no practical reason to burn that amount of calories. You would have to eat an insane amount of food just to get enough calories to make up what you expend, and that isn't counting your BMR. So either you would have to eat a TON of food (think Michael Phelps), or you wouldn't be getting enough so your metabolism would slow down anyway.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

The net calorie burn per mile for walking is approximately half. You would use a factor of 0.30.

0.30 x 275 x 5 = 412
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

From what I understand, the formula for walking uses a (1/3) multiplier, so it's more like .33 x body weight x distance. Your burn would be closer to .33 x 275 x 5 miles = 453.75
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Really large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. I guess if I had a desire to eat a huge meal a huge calorie burn would come in handy.

But for aggressive weight loss I would never do that. I want to lower my body fat %....not just the number on the scale.
  • jennjensp25
    jennjensp25 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know trampolines are good for burning upto 1000 calories an hour. I mean like the big trampolines not the smaller ones
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I burned 1,076 calories last Saturday running 10 miles, but it took me almost 2 hours! I had do some walking because I was maxing out in the heat.

That means I'd have to run approximately 19 miles to burn 2k - holy cow, no thanks. I did have a tdee of almost 3k that day.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If my Fitbit is accurate (it seems to rate my exercise a little bit higher than MapMyWalk estimates) then I could be burning around that much...1-2K+ in exercise. I go on long walks (hours), hit the punching bag, and lift weights for exercise. I have some other stuff I want to get into like medicine ball throwing and riding my airdyne bike.

I do eat a lot and feel I have to eat back some exercise calories to have energy and be healthy. I try to get lots of everything, carbs, proteins, and fats...sometimes I struggle to meet my calorie goal because I'm full...or too tired and just want to go to sleep but then I'll drink whole milk and protein powder to keep it from being a ridiculous deficit...and I'm having pretty good success since Feb losing weight (32 lbs since Feb, 289-257).

It's a major time commitment because I walk as a primary way of doing cardio. I find it enjoyable, and go explore the various trails in my area...take pictures, and entertain myself on the internet as I walk. It took a while to build up to where I'm currently at in walking. My 7-day step total at the moment is 183,953...although 5-10% of those "steps" are me hitting the punching bag (I should track that because it would be fun to know but I haven't).

I stopped watching TV. I listen to the news and various podcasts while I'm walking to replace that kind of entertainment. I think my cable provider has an app where I could watch TV on it but I would probably walk myself into a lake if I start doing that...

I'm trying to get down to ~225 and then switch to a strength focused fitness program, drop the walking, and not have to change too much about what I eat.

I was an athletic guy in high school...played football (although I was too big at that time). In my 20's and 30's I was really into martial arts and we would train 2-3 hours at a time easily. I know somewhere in me is still a really athletic guy, and to find him I'm trying to eat a lot and do a lot of exercise where I monitor my heart rate to keep it in the fat-burning zone.

I'm relatively new to food logging, but have been trying diligently to stay on top of it on a daily basis. I don't know what my averages are because I haven't tried to figure that out yet...but I could easily eat 2500-3K. I also have 3-4K cheat days on occasion, and don't feel the least bit bad about getting beer, movie theater popcorn, pizza, etc...when there's an occasion to go have a date night/movie night/whatever.

I put on most of my weight following a back injury, and stopping some of the regular martial arts I had been doing when I would probably be burning god knows what during long training/sparring sessions. I didn't adjust my diet to my new activity level and I put on a ton of weight. So now, I've been building back up to a high activity level, cleaning up the diet, and trying to find my inner athlete again.

When you're pretty heavy, it seems you can burn some serious calories from a long walk. I would caution anybody starting out to NOT start out trying to go for long walks or create a big deficit through exercise. You'll need some months to build up the strength in your feet, shins, calves, and back. I have also had other times in my life where I was pretty active...so everybody's experiences may vary. So you probably don't want to start from nothing and go see what happens after a 3 hour hike in the woods for several days in a row. I would suggest 30 minutes and build up, and switching out your shoes often is a very good idea.

Kind of a rambling post...but those are some of my ideas and experiences so far as a big guy trying to lose weight, related to the topic of burning a ton of calories to lose weight. Good luck to everybody with your fitness goals this year!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

I run 3x a week for 2hrs + to burn 1800-1900 calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I know trampolines are good for burning upto 1000 calories an hour. I mean like the big trampolines not the smaller ones

Not a chance in the world you're burning 1000 calories per hour bouncing on a trampoline. This is more of the ridiculous hype by the fitness industry which may help sell products, but it completely deludes people as to how many calories they're burning through exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I know trampolines are good for burning upto 1000 calories an hour.

I think you meant per minute.