20-Day Sugar Free Challenge!

Options
Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
Today is Day 2 of my 20-Day Sugar Free challenge. Time to feel more stable, sleep better, and beat he sugar bloat. I let sugars sneak back in over the winter and I'm looking forward to feeling awesome without them again. I'm combining this challenge with watching calories and exercise to lose my last 12 lbs of post baby weight (lost successfully and gained back over my winter of eating sugars and processed grains!).

This for me will include all added sugars, artificial sweeteners, wheat and grains (which I feel the same way in my body as sugar) and (sadly, as it's my favorite sugar, but worth coming off for a while) alcohol.

Anyone want to join in?

Replies

• Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Day 2 of my sugar free challenge. I dropped 3lbs on the scale between day 1 and day two! I'm sure this is sugar/carb bloat leaving my system. I am actually eating pretty low carb during the day to regulate my sugar cravings. Those have not been bad except I came across some light beer in the fridge and REALLY wanted some. Sugar craving? Or urge to stress drink (the baby has been crying incessantly today with testing pain)?
  • liltortillaboy
    liltortillaboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've recently cut out sugar and BOY OH BOY were the withdrawals bad at times. They lasted on and off for about a week and a half and I no longer crave sweets! Keep up the good work :D
  • B_G_P
    B_G_P Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Im Keen ive tried it before and turned into the hulk ( not all musclely with ripped pants ) but cranky as a bag of snakes. i found having grapes in the fridge helped. a few here n there got me through
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    10 days of cravings sounds like I remember it. Ergh. But so worth it after that. Yes fruit helps but I can't eat it with meals and just like one piece after dinner. Blood sugar is so whacked!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    BGP did you make it through the first sugar-free day?
  • bex800
    bex800 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I need this, I have a super sugar cravings after anything I eat, today will he day 1 for me
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Well since I'm already on day 11, I'll join in the challenge! :)
  • maurerkelli
    maurerkelli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a few days behind but I will join. I did this last fall and got really good results!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Day 5 sugar free! I actually said "no" to afternoon coffee today! I know, terrible habit - here's to changing it. Also, very few cravings. Is anyone else sensitive to even the sugar in fruit and whole grains?
  • marieschneider1097
    marieschneider1097 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser Hi ! I'll join w you guys! This is my biggest problem sugar :# even in fruit
  • kammerkv1
    kammerkv1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm joining in on the "fun". 20 day sugar free - we can do just about anything for 20 days, right? What do you all do when you have a sugar craving? Just ignore it? Find something to replace it? Suggestions needed.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    @marieschneider1097 Do you limit fruit at all? I don't really but wonder if I should! I can eat it after dinner but during the day I get a sugar crash. So weird.

@kammerkv1 I am using this strategy: lots of protein and zero sugars during the day (so no sugar, artificial sweeteners, wheat, grains, or alcohol). It ends up being low carb and just protein/veggie meals. So I'm not craving anything because my blood sugar doesn't go up and down! I can have some grains or a glass of wine with dinner but trying to avoid just for calorie reasons. After-dinner cravings have been amazingly low. This is when I'll have a piece of fruit if I can afford the calories.

After like three days, the bad sugar cravings go away. Someone on this board said after ten days you feel amazing and that's what I remember from going sugar free before!

• marieschneider1097
    Options
    I try to limit it and only have it as a treat
  • marieschneider1097
    Options
    @wellnesschaser day1 sugar free
  • wandafit4life
    wandafit4life Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im in. 2moro will be day one.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Day 6 here - what day is everyone else on? I REALLY have to go grain & alcohol free today along with the sugar. Cravings crept back in last night after some wine. Then I ate bread. Still free of added sugars.
  • marieschneider1097
    Options
    Day 2 but I had a drink last night :) w a salad.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Sounds like me! Except for the damned bread. I'm like scared to eat right now because I don't want to crave more food. So it's eggs for me, I guess.
  • marieschneider1097
    Options
    That's what I'm having eggs :# it's the same for me when I eat sugar I crave it
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have sugar creeping back in also. I think it makes my arthritis flare up so I definitely need to get serious. You know it got bad when I started putting coffee flavored ice cream in my evening decaf. Got to go back to the HWC instead. I am mostly protein, lots of veggies and healthy fats. I avoid artificial sugar also