20-Day Sugar Free Challenge!

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of my sugar free challenge. I dropped 3lbs on the scale between day 1 and day two! I'm sure this is sugar/carb bloat leaving my system. I am actually eating pretty low carb during the day to regulate my sugar cravings. Those have not been bad except I came across some light beer in the fridge and REALLY wanted some. Sugar craving? Or urge to stress drink (the baby has been crying incessantly today with testing pain)?

you lost that weight due to cutting out carbs so you lost water weight and possible glycogen. what happens when you and if you reintroduce these things? say you reintroduce the grains and what not. your weight will go up again because it will replenish the glycogen and you will retain water. the less weight you have to lose the slower its going to be. if carbs make you bloat then see a dr and see if you have a food allergy or intolerance to something.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of my sugar free challenge. I dropped 3lbs on the scale between day 1 and day two! I'm sure this is sugar/carb bloat leaving my system. I am actually eating pretty low carb during the day to regulate my sugar cravings. Those have not been bad except I came across some light beer in the fridge and REALLY wanted some. Sugar craving? Or urge to stress drink (the baby has been crying incessantly today with testing pain)?

you lost that weight due to cutting out carbs so you lost water weight and possible glycogen. what happens when you and if you reintroduce these things? say you reintroduce the grains and what not. your weight will go up again because it will replenish the glycogen and you will retain water. the less weight you have to lose the slower its going to be. if carbs make you bloat then see a dr and see if you have a food allergy or intolerance to something.

It absolutely was water weight.

Grains and dairy lead to my joints hurting. I've done complete reintroduction of both. Thanks for your advice - what is a doctor going to do for me?

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Grains and dairy lead to my joints hurting. I've done complete reintroduction of both. Thanks for your advice - what is a doctor going to do for me?

if you are bloating bad enough you have to cut these things out then its possible you could have a food allergy or intolerance. they can check you for these things.
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Has anyone here been checked for intolerances? I would have to see a naturopathic doctor or specific type of nutritionist for that. It seems simple enough to just limit what makes me feel off, if it's generally empty calories anyway.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

if you are bloating bad enough you have to cut these things out then its possible you could have a food allergy or intolerance. they can check you for these things.

After they check, what do they do?

well Im sure they will let you know if they find anything. Im sure they will have to send results off to a lab. if you are having a lot of bloating though it could be other things. if you have done an elimination diet to where you stop eating one thing and waited several months before reintroducing then it could be that food item,or it could be something in that food item.

take for instance eggs, I used to eat a certain brand of eggs, they used to make me have severe stomach pains and nauseated me. I eliminated them for awhile and tried again. this time I tried another brand. no issues. I then tried the other brand I had the issues with and boom, they came back,so sometimes its something in foods that they may add that can cause intolerances/allergy issue.

If you want to cut those foods out then that is your choice, but if you want to say try a different kind of diary product or grain product then do that. not every company uses the same ingredients in their food. for me I have an intolerance/allergy to locust bean gum(used in yogurts,ice cream and other dairy products). if its really low on the list I can usually tolerate it once in awhile,if its high on the list I avoid it like the plague.some bloating can be normal but if its really to where you are uncomfortable,in pain,etc then its worth having checked out. dairy(like milk/yogurt) could mean lactose intolerance or even a whey/casein intolerance. breads and grains could mean a wheat,gluten or another type of allergy/intolerance.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    also its not the sugar and grains that made you gain weight,its eating more than you burn. sugar and grains do not cause weight gain unless it puts you into a surplus of calories
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    I never said that sugar and grains made me gain weight just that I lost water weight when I cut them for a few days. Also they make my energy erratic and lead to cravings. The cravings lead to over consumption. Sounds like you've done some good work figuring out what works for you!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I never said that sugar and grains made me gain weight just that I lost water weight when I cut them for a few days. Also they make my energy erratic and lead to cravings. The cravings lead to over consumption. Sounds like you've done some good work figuring out what works for you!

did you not say"lost successfully and gained back over my winter of eating sugars and processed grains!" ? now this post you mention cravings lead to over consumption which is what caused the weight gain as it seems like you know that.cravings are a lot of time your body telling you you are missing something in your diet. maybe not for everyone and always. I still would be checked for any issues that is causing the bloating but thats your call.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options

did you not say"lost successfully and gained back over my winter of eating sugars and processed grains!" ? now this post you mention cravings lead to over consumption which is what caused the weight gain as it seems like you know that.cravings are a lot of time your body telling you you are missing something in your diet. maybe not for everyone and always. I still would be checked for any issues that is causing the bloating but thats your call.

Thanks for the advice.
  • miamirican11
    miamirican11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will join! Day 1 will be tomorrow!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Today is my Day 7 sugar free. Day 6 went really well. I did a high class intensity workout in the a.m. and had no big cravings throughout the day. My energy was stable through bedtime. I did enjoy a one light beer on the patio. But it didn't lead to over-consuming anything, yay! (Which is how I gain. It's not the carbs and sugar themselves but the overconsumption. There was some confusion a previous poster had over my understanding of this!). How's everyone else doing?
  • marieschneider1097
    marieschneider1097 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3! But I had some rice w dinner and I'll have a salad for lunch today. I'm also doing the 30 day shred!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    I'm on day 3! But I had some rice w dinner and I'll have a salad for lunch today. I'm also doing the 30 day shred!

Which 30 day shred are you doing?
  • marieschneider1097
    Options
    Jillian Michaels I'm on day 13!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Haha you are my twin. Not doing it currently but I go back to those same four workouts all the time!
  • marieschneider1097
    Options
    Oh yeah I haven't lost any weight but I'm down 9 inches so far!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Oh yeah I haven't lost any weight but I'm down 9 inches so far!

Awesome!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    Day 8 sugar free - so far so good :)
  • BonBon1985
    BonBon1985 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today is my Day 7 sugar free. Day 6 went really well. I did a high class intensity workout in the a.m. and had no big cravings throughout the day. My energy was stable through bedtime. I did enjoy a one light beer on the patio. But it didn't lead to over-consuming anything, yay! (Which is how I gain. It's not the carbs and sugar themselves but the overconsumption. There was some confusion a previous poster had over my understanding of this!). How's everyone else doing?

I wish i could have joined
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    BonBon1985 wrote: »

I wish i could have joined

Hi@bonbon1985. Join tomorrow! Make it your Day 1. We are here aiming for 20 consecutive days in May, and a place to check in to help stick with it. Have you gone sugar-free before?

This is my Day 10. So far so good...