Kindergartener Suspended

Options
FreyasRebirth
FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
My son is suspended from school today. One kid told him to put hand sanitizer on another kid's snack. Someone told on him so no one was hurt and my son claims that he had no idea that it could hurt the other boy. The principal told me on the phone that if the boy had eaten the snack, my son (6 years old and in kindergarten) would have gotten a 5 day suspension. Since he did not, he is suspended for the day.

Do you think it is fair to suspend a kindergartner (for an entire school week) for an action that was stupid but not malicious? I agree it was a terrible choice, have had a serious talk with him, and had him write a note to the boy apologizing. Then again, I don't know how I'd feel if I were the parent of the other boy and it was my child who this prank was pulled on. Is a 5 day suspension an appropriate consequence for a kindergarten student?

Replies

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Mines come close....they seem quick to suspend these days
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options
    I'm not complaining to the principal. I appreciate him calling me and having me come and get him. I didn't want to delay having the conversation about how dangerous his action could have been.

I have no idea what happened to the student who told my son to do it. I've given the name to the teacher in my own apologizing email, if she didn't already have it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    My son has been suspended a number of times from kindergarten until just yesterday no in 7th grade. Much of it is ticky tacky stuff that we would get reprimanded for when I was young, or was really non-issues. Today, for legal protection and insurance liability measures seem EVERYTHING is a suspendable act.

Not saying the hand sanitzer isn't or is, just making my own anecdotal observation.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Jeez. Suspensions are such a strange punishment to me - it's just not responsive to the infraction. I like the apology note, and I do think there should be consequences, but suspension is just weird.

As for this particular behavior - I don't know. I can't tell from your description what was really going on - I mean, he certainly didn't put hand sanitizer on another child's snack out of KINDNESS. If it's part of a pattern of picking on this kid or other kids, maybe it's a serious thing that needed to be addressed. But as an isolated incident, I don't really see it.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Your son, young as he is, has to learn that he doesn't do what other kids tell him to do. Yes, it was hand sanitizer, but what if it had been something worse? This is a learning experience for your child and all the others in his class. I would use it as an important lesson to learn. Do not complain about the principal's decision to your child. It will help him think and make better choices in the future.

While I agree with this.. common..he is 6yo.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    My son is in kindergarten too. I got a call from the principal to let me know about an "incident" that happened on the bus.
    Apparently my son and another kid had gotten into a pushing match over a seat.
    My heart dropped when I got the call for a pushing match between 6yo boys!!

I think it's very important to teach them how every action has a consequence, but sometimes I feel as we are not letting kids be kids. And yes, that mean makes mistakes too.
  • FreyasRebirth
    Options
    Let's just pretend the spanking comment isn't there or the thread will get locked very soon. If there were an infraction meriting a spanking, this isn't it.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    Spank him.till he pees his pants and it won't happen again

Gee I hope you don't have any kids.

p.s. I'm not responsible for any of those flags.

I am & proud of, it!

If I did flag, I'd certainly own it, but the senseless flagging is ridiculous IMO.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your son why he blindly followed the orders of another child? I think I'd be more concerned about the why than the punishment.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    He's old enough to know that hand sanitizer isn't edible as evidenced by the fact that he didn't eat it himself. He should own the consequences for his actions, with any luck he will learn from it. It is not an indicator that he's a future serial killer, kids just do dumb things. Suspension is the only way the school can punish the parents and protect the other kids, it's their favorite.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    Spank him.till he pees his pants and it won't happen again

Gee I hope you don't have any kids.

p.s. I'm not responsible for any of those flags.

I am & proud of, it!

If I did flag, I'd certainly own it, but the senseless flagging is ridiculous IMO.

I know, you'd & I agree with, most of the; flagging being senseless.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Because parents who think reprimanding children is barbaric, leaving the disciplining up to the schools.

Someone has to do it.

But suspending them doesn't do it. I agree - a reprimand, a discussion, a learning should come from this. And I have no doubt that @FreyasRebirth will address what happened (and has, already). Suspension seems like the laziest response to behavior there is. Shoot - detention and making a kid write "I will not poison my classmates" 100 times would at least be responsive (probably dumb, but responsive).
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Suspending kids for being kids is stupid.

Children at that age are learning... A 6 year old gets into trouble... It happens to us all... Suspending children is utterly stupid and may even cause harm

Why the hell does a school suspend children for making mistakes?

This just seems barbaric

While I agree that suspensions have become WAY too easy to earn, I would say in this scenario that some sort of punishment is merited. He did make a mistake, and I would say using it as a lesson to teach that poor choices have consequences would be beneficial, right?
This discussion has been closed.