Kindergartener Suspended

Options
13»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My son is in kindergarten too. I got a call from the principal to let me know about an "incident" that happened on the bus.
    Apparently my son and another kid had gotten into a pushing match over a seat.
    My heart dropped when I got the call for a pushing match between 6yo boys!!

I think it's very important to teach them how every action has a consequence, but sometimes I feel as we are not letting kids be kids. And yes, that mean makes mistakes too.

A phone call for kids shoving each other on the bus is totally appropriate. The adults in charge are supposed to be calling them out on this kind of behavior. That's part of learning how to behave in society. Letting them do this stuff at 6 and not saying anything just encourages the behavior to continue and later escalate. It's just a phone call, not prison time. ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Because parents who think reprimanding children is barbaric, leaving the disciplining up to the schools.

Someone has to do it.

But suspending them doesn't do it. I agree - a reprimand, a discussion, a learning should come from this. And I have no doubt that @FreyasRebirth will address what happened (and has, already). Suspension seems like the laziest response to behavior there is. Shoot - detention and making a kid write "I will not poison my classmates" 100 times would at least be responsive (probably dumb, but responsive).

I agree with this. Make the kid work with the janitor for a week or help the teacher after class. Detention is even an option but suspension? Really?

Some kids might even think of it as a day off, that they got lucky to get out of school and then they'd start behaving badly again and again..

Others might start to feel left out and not a part of the group.. They might even start to feel so ashamed for what they did that they'd developed a "I'm a bad person" self image...

This happened at my high school. A bunch of football players surrounded a young female teacher in class and did a bump-n-grind kinda dance around her while she screamed at them to stop. Really freaked a bunch of girls out because if they would do that to a teacher, what would they do to other students? The guys got a 3 day suspension and couldn't go to the dance. They laughed about their "vacation." The teacher quit at the end of the semester. I think the teacher should have called the police, not the principal, since the principal never did much to help. Not sure he was allowed to do much. :s
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Your son, young as he is, has to learn that he doesn't do what other kids tell him to do. Yes, it was hand sanitizer, but what if it had been something worse? This is a learning experience for your child and all the others in his class. I would use it as an important lesson to learn. Do not complain about the principal's decision to your child. It will help him think and make better choices in the future.

While I agree with this.. common..he is 6yo.

Exactly--and that's why it's so important--now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Because parents who think reprimanding children is barbaric, leaving the disciplining up to the schools.

Someone has to do it.

But suspending them doesn't do it. I agree - a reprimand, a discussion, a learning should come from this. And I have no doubt that @FreyasRebirth will address what happened (and has, already). Suspension seems like the laziest response to behavior there is. Shoot - detention and making a kid write "I will not poison my classmates" 100 times would at least be responsive (probably dumb, but responsive).

I agree with this. Make the kid work with the janitor for a week or help the teacher after class. Detention is even an option but suspension? Really?

Some kids might even think of it as a day off, that they got lucky to get out of school and then they'd start behaving badly again and again..

Others might start to feel left out and not a part of the group.. They might even start to feel so ashamed for what they did that they'd developed a "I'm a bad person" self image...

This happened at my high school. A bunch of football players surrounded a young female teacher in class and did a bump-n-grind kinda dance around her while she screamed at them to stop. Really freaked a bunch of girls out because if they would do that to a teacher, what would they do to other students? The guys got a 3 day suspension and couldn't go to the dance. They laughed about their "vacation." The teacher quit at the end of the semester. I think the teacher should have called the police, not the principal, since the principal never did much to help. Not sure he was allowed to do much. :s

This is also where the parents come in. I was suspended once in 7th grad for 3 days and my parents made sure it about the worst 3 days of my life up to that point and I paid dearly for some time to come after the suspension...as I recall, I was grounded for about 3 months.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    He's old enough to know that hand sanitizer isn't edible as evidenced by the fact that he didn't eat it himself.

When I spoke to the principal on the phone, he told me that (when the principal asked how he would feel) my son didn't see a problem with eating it himself. I think if this instigator kid told him to eat it himself, he probably would have.

Yeah, this is concerning. He needs to learn not to do thing just because some one tells him or pressures him to.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the idiotic world of public schools in America. Your offense (not the offense your son was accused of, rather the offense done to you by the school) is the first of many.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the idiotic world of public schools in America.

How ironic.

IB4TL2

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sorry, he should be suspended. Never mind if he understood the health risk. He at at least understood at 5 that what he was doing would make the other kid's lunch taste nasty, and it would probably mean the kid went hungry that day. Not cool. And if he tried to make the excuse that he put something that tastes nasty on someone's food because a third party told him to do it, I hope you deal with that at home too. (And I don't mean a spanking... not a fan.) The good news is nobody got hurt, and it's a teachable moment. I raised three boys to adulthood and they all pulled stupid stunts like this, like I'm sure we all did. It sounds corny but you will look back on it and laugh.

I agree with the 1 day suspension totally, and about talking about how he needs to think for himself when other kids tell him to do something. I am just hesitant when I think that it could have been a 5 day suspension. I don't think a kindergartener would still connect their suspension to the original infraction at a deep, remorseful level 5 school days later.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Closed for moderator review.
This discussion has been closed.