Options
    CWynne3 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I read somewhere that doctors prescribe low, low calorie diets because they have little faith that the patient will stick with it and they figure the few pounds lost in the short term is better than nothing.

That and they probably assume they won't come on here and start weighing their food on a scale and logging accurately as well. So what the prescribe as 1200, probably ends up being closer to 1500 or more.

Except that THIS patient is weighing and measuring with diligence. And it has worked... Impressively so. But it's really a drastic change from my norm.

Exactly. Which is awesome that you are being so accurate. But such drastic changes and a low calorie goal...ya gonna get cranky. How long have you been doing it and how much have you lost? Maybe you posted it up above, sorry. Also, what are your stats? If you don't mind sharing. If not, you may be interested in entering them into the app and seeing what IT gives you for a calorie goal.

It's fine, I'm an open book. I've only been doing it for 8 days. Weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8 and weighed in yesterday, 5/1, at 263.0. So 10lbs in a week. I'm 5'6". I have no clue how many calories I was consuming prior to starting on 4/25.

Lady you're going to be able to more to lose weight. You'll be happier too. I don't think your doctor expected you to be so meticulous.

I'll punch in my numbers and give it a go. If it makes me feel more like myself and less like an *kitten*, then that would be golden! Thanks for the advice :)

If it puts it into perspective for you...I'm lightly active, 5'4", 144lbs. I can lose on 1500. I'll go as low as 1300 sometimes but I consider that aggressive dieting.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with 1350?

How much weight do you need to lose, AND did you set the goal wizard here at "Lose two pounds per week"? If so, dial it back to "Lose one pound per week." You'll get more calories and you will feel better.

Also, I see your beautiful baby in your picture. :) I'm guessing with a husband and a baby you are not "Sedentary." Set your goals as "Lightly active" - you'll get more calories. More restriction isn't better - it makes us HANGRY!!

This is my doctor... Telling me I'm morbidly obese and should consume 1200-1300 calories a day max. I need to cut the processed foods, lose the soda, etc. So that's what I've been doing for 8 days now... Though it feels like 80 days!

I have 4 beautiful babies! 10, 7, 3 and 1! I homeschool the oldest 3. Between that, play dates, and keeping up with my house... I stay pretty busy. Half the time I don't even get to sit down to eat. But I don't go out and exercise or take walks at all (yet)...so... sedentary?

You're not sedentary. :)

• CWynne3
    CWynne3 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that doctors prescribe low, low calorie diets because they have little faith that the patient will stick with it and they figure the few pounds lost in the short term is better than nothing.

That and they probably assume they won't come on here and start weighing their food on a scale and logging accurately as well. So what the prescribe as 1200, probably ends up being closer to 1500 or more.

Except that THIS patient is weighing and measuring with diligence. And it has worked... Impressively so. But it's really a drastic change from my norm.

Exactly. Which is awesome that you are being so accurate. But such drastic changes and a low calorie goal...ya gonna get cranky. How long have you been doing it and how much have you lost? Maybe you posted it up above, sorry. Also, what are your stats? If you don't mind sharing. If not, you may be interested in entering them into the app and seeing what IT gives you for a calorie goal.

It's fine, I'm an open book. I've only been doing it for 8 days. Weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8 and weighed in yesterday, 5/1, at 263.0. So 10lbs in a week. I'm 5'6". I have no clue how many calories I was consuming prior to starting on 4/25.

Lady you're going to be able to more to lose weight. You'll be happier too. I don't think your doctor expected you to be so meticulous.

I'll punch in my numbers and give it a go. If it makes me feel more like myself and less like an *kitten*, then that would be golden! Thanks for the advice :)

If it puts it into perspective for you...I'm lightly active, 5'4", 144lbs. I can lose on 1500. I'll go as low as 1300 sometimes but I consider that aggressive dieting.

Oh wow... Think I'm gonna go eat a roll, lol...
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    This is a real thing. Calorie deficits will do this to you, especially large deficits. Not getting enough fat will also mess with hormones. So yeah, don't think it's just you :)

The best advice I can give you is to have as small a deficit as possible while still making progress. I don't know what your stats are, but many people achieve good loss and don't murder anyone on about 250 deficit per day less than TDEE. That's about 0.5 lbs per week.

Honestly, I don't think the "how much I can have" is what's most bothersome to me... It's the "what I can't have" that's frustrating me the most. I weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8lbs (I'm 5'6"). Followed my doctor's advice to a T and weighed in at 263.0 yesterday, 5/1. Obviously a ton of that's gotta be water weight, but I lost 2" from my waist and .5" from my hips. So, it's working. That drives me to keep pushing through... But I'm like a frickin' bomb. Just hate being this way. I'm sure with my weight I could put myself at a lesser deficit and still lose weight. But I still would have the food restrictions... :/ Idk. Maybe this rotten phase will pass soon.

You can eat whatever you want. Just account for it within your day. I saved 340 calories for my favorite kind of ice cream sandwich tonight simply because I've been craving it so badly. I just had to cut some calories from my lunch and one of my snacks earlier in the day. I still ate lunch and a snack- just lower calories in both so that I had some left to indulge my craving. As long as you're still eating at a deficit, you'll still lose!

This is baffling to me... I can go eat a roll if I want? It truly doesn't matter what I eat as long as I don't go over my limit? Don't the processed, starchy carbs make you gain, not lose? I guess the math makes sense... I'm just not getting how I can eat a slice of pizza or a piece of grilled chicken and a salad and arrive at the same results??

I too am on a (doctor supervised) very restricted diet consisting of 1200 calories a day, high protein and low-carb (less than 75g). It's been a rough few weeks, but I continually look for ways that I can eat, if not everything I want, at least things that I'm satisfied with eating. As others have mentioned, you don't want to eat pizza and ice cream every day, but if you tell yourself that you can't have something, that's generally the surest way to cause yourself to crave it. So, if you are craving something, eat it - only make it a much smaller portion (sometimes, even just a small bite helps). Hubby made some sort of awesome looking nachos the other night and I ate one chip, enough for taste and flavor, then went on to eat something much healthier.

In terms of carbs - look for small, thin pizza crust (or low-carb pita bread works too, if you can find it). There's a company that makes low-carb breads and pastas and stuff too. I haven't tried them yet, but will probably be putting in an order soon. If you can find it in your area Halo Top ice-cream is low calorie and relatively low-carb (I only eat about 1/2 a serving and it's plenty to satisfy my sweet tooth). I'm usually kind of funky about "diet" foods, but it actually tastes good. I also picked up a super dark chocolate bar (like 88%) and it's definitely not a Hershey's bar by any stretch, but when I'm dying for chocolate, one square isn't a lot of calories and since it's not very sweet, there's not a lot of carbs.

I also spend a lot of time on restaurant websites looking at their nutrition pages figuring out exactly what I can get from them, that will still fit within my requirements. It's not much, but knowing I can get something if I want it helps.

Edit... if you are worried about not getting enough exercise, I bought a really cheap fitness tracker thing, and even though I don't do much in the way of purposeful exercise, I found that just chasing after my kiddo and helping him throughout the day (16 year old/autistic) and the errands I run, I'm walking between a mile and two almost every day. I bet if you track yourself, you'll find you are a lot more active than you think.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,047 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Oh goodness...my favorite TDEE calculator says you should be at ~1800 calories to lose a pound a week if you are sedentary. ~1300 calories daily would be an aggressive 2 pounds per week calorie limit, which is fine if your doctor is prescribing it, but know that it is aggressive and is going to lead to some hangry days. But that calorie goal is if you are sedentary. As others have said, you probably aren't very sedentary with little ones, so even light activity/exercise would give you about 300 more calories daily, and moderate activity/exercise would give you about 600 more calories daily. Sounds like you can probably eat a bit more and be okay and still in a deficit. It's all about finding your personal balance.

Welcome to the light... :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Boxing or kick boxing. Once you get to hit stuff, you're too tired to be mad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CWynne3
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Let us know how you feel afterward!
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm going about this all wrong...

I think you're finally getting it! Do a cleanse of all your preconceived rules on how to do this right and listen to the advice provided above.

This is so true. The day I let go of all the things I thought I knew about weight loss was the day it all started to make sense.

I was a but perturbed to find all the dinner rolls had been eaten when I went into the kitchen to grab one. So I told myself to chill the heck out and I ate a slice of honey wheat bread... Oh. My. Goodness! One tasted like another and so I had more. When it was all said and done, I still had about 170 calories left for my day (out of the 1300, not the 1900 MFP days I can consume to drop a pound per week). I was a sweetheart the rest of the night! No really, I felt the anger dissipate and I was totally nice! :smiley:

Ahhh, sweet liberation! :smile:

Yay! Now to work on moderation. You'll do just fine, and your family will survive! :laugh:

Hahaha! Yes! I love my family so much... Which is why I posted here. I don't want to lash out on them, and thanks to some great perspective given, I think you're right- we'll all survive! :smiley:
  • CWynne3
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Boxing or kick boxing. Once you get to hit stuff, you're too tired to be mad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Haha! I would look so ridiculous! I can see where that'd be an outlet to burn some steam though!

Edit: PS- Go SanFran!
  • CWynne3
    Options

Muah. Weigh it tho lol

Always! :wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan and the right attitude. :)

The only time I'm crabby is when my blood sugar is low and it's right before I start feeling the physical symptoms like dizziness, sweating, faintness, etc. Sometimes I don't recognize it, but my family can tell, and they will let me know that it's time to feed. Other than that, general hunger doesn't seem to make me mean. I just get tired and stop caring. So then I just eat a little something and get back in the game. Make sure you get your lean protein and plenty of fluids!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    There is no "falling off" of any wagon. Some days the wagon just might not go as fast as it did the day before. But that's okay... Because it's still moving! :smile:

Welcome to the light, indeed! Being able to still enjoy a small amount of chocolate every day was essential to me sticking to this method of weight loss at the start. These days I don't crave it often, but when I began my journey I could NOT have given it up!

The disclaimer that seems to be necessary these days is that proper nutrition is important and no one is suggesting that you eat only pop and pizza. But yes, you can fit in things you love as long as you don't crowd out the nutritious foods your body needs. There's definitely no need to deprive yourself of anything unless you have to for medical reasons (allergies etc.).

One thing that I did want to add is that at some point you may see your weight loss slow down, stall, or even see what appears to be a weight gain. Be aware that this is completely normal and nothing to worry about - even if you've been tracking perfectly and are absolutely certain you're in a deficit, it still happens to many people. (And women are especially prone to hormonal fluctuations and water weight.) Don't panic if this happens to you! Just keep on keeping on, and your weight will start to move in the direction you want it to eventually.

Some people do find that they lose consistently every week, but many don't. For me personally, I can get stuck at around the same weight for a few weeks at a time and then drop a couple more pounds, then it repeats a few weeks later. Recording my weight every day has been really helpful for me to see the overall downward trend, so that it no longer bothers me when the scale claims I put on 2lbs overnight. :) If you don't feel that you can face the scale on a daily basis then weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions every week and record it somewhere (I use an Excel graph, but there are apps that will also do this sort of thing for you... I think Trendweight and Happy Scale are two that get mentioned often).

Once you have several weeks' worth of data (at least - the more the better!), you'll be able to see if your overall trend is still downwards even if it's not as fast as you might expect or prefer. Remember that you (most likely) didn't put the weight on in a few months, and it's going to take time and patience to get it off again. But you can do it! And now you know the "big secret" that the rest of the world has been looking for, it'll be easier to make the small changes you can live with for the rest of your life. :)
  • CWynne3
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    There is no "falling off" of any wagon. Some days the wagon just might not go as fast as it did the day before. But that's okay... Because it's still moving! :smile:

Welcome to the light, indeed! Being able to still enjoy a small amount of chocolate every day was essential to me sticking to this method of weight loss at the start. These days I don't crave it often, but when I began my journey I could NOT have given it up!

The disclaimer that seems to be necessary these days is that proper nutrition is important and no one is suggesting that you eat only pop and pizza. But yes, you can fit in things you love as long as you don't crowd out the nutritious foods your body needs. There's definitely no need to deprive yourself of anything unless you have to for medical reasons (allergies etc.).

One thing that I did want to add is that at some point you may see your weight loss slow down, stall, or even see what appears to be a weight gain. Be aware that this is completely normal and nothing to worry about - even if you've been tracking perfectly and are absolutely certain you're in a deficit, it still happens to many people. (And women are especially prone to hormonal fluctuations and water weight.) Don't panic if this happens to you! Just keep on keeping on, and your weight will start to move in the direction you want it to eventually.

Some people do find that they lose consistently every week, but many don't. For me personally, I can get stuck at around the same weight for a few weeks at a time and then drop a couple more pounds, then it repeats a few weeks later. Recording my weight every day has been really helpful for me to see the overall downward trend, so that it no longer bothers me when the scale claims I put on 2lbs overnight. :) If you don't feel that you can face the scale on a daily basis then weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions every week and record it somewhere (I use an Excel graph, but there are apps that will also do this sort of thing for you... I think Trendweight and Happy Scale are two that get mentioned often).

Once you have several weeks' worth of data (at least - the more the better!), you'll be able to see if your overall trend is still downwards even if it's not as fast as you might expect or prefer. Remember that you (most likely) didn't put the weight on in a few months, and it's going to take time and patience to get it off again. But you can do it! And now you know the "big secret" that the rest of the world has been looking for, it'll be easier to make the small changes you can live with for the rest of your life. :)

Thanks so much for the encouragement and tips! Good stuff. :) I'm truly grateful... I'm feeling so much better about things! Thank you, thank you! <3
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »

Oh goodness...my favorite TDEE calculator says you should be at ~1800 calories to lose a pound a week if you are sedentary. ~1300 calories daily would be an aggressive 2 pounds per week calorie limit, which is fine if your doctor is prescribing it, but know that it is aggressive and is going to lead to some hangry days. But that calorie goal is if you are sedentary. As others have said, you probably aren't very sedentary with little ones, so even light activity/exercise would give you about 300 more calories daily, and moderate activity/exercise would give you about 600 more calories daily. Sounds like you can probably eat a bit more and be okay and still in a deficit. It's all about finding your personal balance.

Welcome to the light... :)

Thanks so, so much for all your words and wisdom! I'm definitely going to take them to heart. I'm going to aim for the goals my doc set for me (because it's killing a slew of bad habits I've been dragging around), but I'm going to keep my calorie counter here on MFP set to lose a pound a week. And I'll just allow myself that wiggle room to eat a piece of candy or bread, pizza, whatever I'm craving, provided I stay within the reasonable limit MFP has given me. It's so freeing that I can indulge from time to time and know I'm not sabotaging myself at all. I'm allowed to be human... There is no "falling off" of any wagon. Some days the wagon just might not go as fast as it did the day before. But that's okay... Because it's still moving! :smile:

Thanks again, so much! I really appreciate your time and help! <3

Yes!! You've got it! I <3 what you said in the bold. IMO, that mentality is key to success. And glad you are happier already!

Also appreciated @SueSueDio's comments on the rest of the story...yes, stalls will happen even when you are doing everything right, just keep the faith and keep doing what you are doing...

Another tip...figure out another measurement than the scale to see progress. I personally like the tape measure (pick one day a week to take your measurements), and had many weeks where I'd lose inches but see no loss on the scale and vice versa. It let me know I was still making progress for those stall weeks on the scale. Other options include goal clothes (I had some pants and later a dress that I wanted to fit back into) or taking pictures regularly (monthly? - for me pictures didn't work as well as quantitative measurements, but for others it works really well).

Congrats on the epiphany, and figuring it out so quickly! Looking forward to hearing your success stories! :)