How do you kill the crab?

Options
CWynne3
CWynne3 Posts: 116 Member
I'm on Day 1 of Week 2 of my lifestyle change. It's going great in terms of weight loss, but... DEAR GOD, have MERCY on everyone around me! I feel so incredibly annoyed and irritable that I'm seriously getting on my own nerves! I hear myself being snappy and I'm aware I've developed a major 'tude, but I can't for the life of me get it under control! This is the part of my life change attempts where I always say, "Screw it," and give up. But not this time... I can't quit. My life is depending on this change.

...So any pointers on how to kill this crabbiness that has become me? It would appear that fulfilling whatever craving I may have had at any given time in the past has acted as a "happy pill"... What the heck do I do now that that's not an option? Give it to me straight. I won't bite... too hard. :/

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You're on a two week lifestyle change? I don't get it.

I don't control my crab. I called a lady on the subway a kitten kitten last week and threw money down on the bodega register because they wouldn't accept a debit card for less than 5 dollars (even though that's the norm and I'm used to it).
  • CWynne3
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I don't control my crab. I called a lady on the subway a kitten kitten last week and threw money down on the bodega register because they wouldn't accept a debit card for less than 5 dollars (even though that's the norm and I'm used to it).

No, no... I'm on my second week of said change... As in I just started one week and one day ago... And in response to the subway lady/debit card deal, I'm not generally a crabby person, so that's why it's gotta go. Doesn't work for me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    CWynne3 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

No, no... I'm on my second week of said change... As in I just started one week and one day ago... And in response to the subway lady/debit card deal, I'm not generally a crabby person, so that's why it's gotta go. Doesn't work for me.

Okay. So do it then. Take a nap and eat a candy bar.
  • CWynne3
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How long does it take to prepare for a marathon, or a climb up mount Everest? This sort of life-change is built on one small habit at a time. Trying to do it all at once will just make you....crabby.

Yes, your life is at stake, but you have some time to do this right.

What one change this past week are you most proud of? Keep doing that one. What change makes you want to claw someone's eyes out? Postpone that one.

Every week re-evaluate the week before and decide to either stay the course or add a new self-improvement bit.

I guess I have this "all in" mentality. I'm either all in or I'm not.

Changes I'm proud of:
    1. Cutting my 5ish Coke/day habit
    2. Drinking water instead
    3. Sticking below 1300 calories a day/portion control
    4. Meeting my protein goals
    5. Cutting sweets and processed foods

Changes pissing me off:
    1. Cutting coke when others in the house drink it in front of me...
    2. No sweets/processed foods when it's all still in the house.
    3. Cooking separate meals for my fam because they aren't into eating my stuff.

But you make a great point. All the changes take time and I think regardless of whether I make changes one at a time or all at once, I'm going to take time to adjust. I just hope this irritability phase doesn't last long. Sucks. :/
  • CWynne3
    Options
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Self flagellation. Works every time.

Haha! Ok...
  • CWynne3
    Options
    Shulyn wrote: »

Changes pissing me off:
    1. Cutting coke when others in the house drink it in front of me...
    2. No sweets/processed foods when it's all still in the house.
    3. Cooking separate meals for my fam because they aren't into eating my stuff.
    :/

As to cooking separately, told my family if I'm cooking it's my way. Though my family was happy with it.. You don't have to cook differently for them. Kinda my way or the highway attitude.[/quote]

I feel ultimately, eating clean will be beneficial to all of us. But my husband isn't ready to make that change. Then I think too, I'm the one who's gotten myself to this weight, I'm the one that needs to make thesacrifices. Kinda hard not being all on the same page.
  • CWynne3
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    This is a real thing. Calorie deficits will do this to you, especially large deficits. Not getting enough fat will also mess with hormones. So yeah, don't think it's just you :)

The best advice I can give you is to have as small a deficit as possible while still making progress. I don't know what your stats are, but many people achieve good loss and don't murder anyone on about 250 deficit per day less than TDEE. That's about 0.5 lbs per week.

Honestly, I don't think the "how much I can have" is what's most bothersome to me... It's the "what I can't have" that's frustrating me the most. I weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8lbs (I'm 5'6"). Followed my doctor's advice to a T and weighed in at 263.0 yesterday, 5/1. Obviously a ton of that's gotta be water weight, but I lost 2" from my waist and .5" from my hips. So, it's working. That drives me to keep pushing through... But I'm like a frickin' bomb. Just hate being this way. I'm sure with my weight I could put myself at a lesser deficit and still lose weight. But I still would have the food restrictions... :/ Idk. Maybe this rotten phase will pass soon.