Options

Replies

• CWynne3
    CWynne3 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    CWynne3 wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    This is a real thing. Calorie deficits will do this to you, especially large deficits. Not getting enough fat will also mess with hormones. So yeah, don't think it's just you :)

The best advice I can give you is to have as small a deficit as possible while still making progress. I don't know what your stats are, but many people achieve good loss and don't murder anyone on about 250 deficit per day less than TDEE. That's about 0.5 lbs per week.

Honestly, I don't think the "how much I can have" is what's most bothersome to me... It's the "what I can't have" that's frustrating me the most. I weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8lbs (I'm 5'6"). Followed my doctor's advice to a T and weighed in at 263.0 yesterday, 5/1. Obviously a ton of that's gotta be water weight, but I lost 2" from my waist and .5" from my hips. So, it's working. That drives me to keep pushing through... But I'm like a frickin' bomb. Just hate being this way. I'm sure with my weight I could put myself at a lesser deficit and still lose weight. But I still would have the food restrictions... :/ Idk. Maybe this rotten phase will pass soon.

You can eat whatever you want. Just account for it within your day. I saved 340 calories for my favorite kind of ice cream sandwich tonight simply because I've been craving it so badly. I just had to cut some calories from my lunch and one of my snacks earlier in the day. I still ate lunch and a snack- just lower calories in both so that I had some left to indulge my craving. As long as you're still eating at a deficit, you'll still lose!

This is baffling to me... I can go eat a roll if I want? It truly doesn't matter what I eat as long as I don't go over my limit? Don't the processed, starchy carbs make you gain, not lose? I guess the math makes sense... I'm just not getting how I can eat a slice of pizza or a piece of grilled chicken and a salad and arrive at the same results??
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    This is a real thing. Calorie deficits will do this to you, especially large deficits. Not getting enough fat will also mess with hormones. So yeah, don't think it's just you :)

The best advice I can give you is to have as small a deficit as possible while still making progress. I don't know what your stats are, but many people achieve good loss and don't murder anyone on about 250 deficit per day less than TDEE. That's about 0.5 lbs per week.

Honestly, I don't think the "how much I can have" is what's most bothersome to me... It's the "what I can't have" that's frustrating me the most. I weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8lbs (I'm 5'6"). Followed my doctor's advice to a T and weighed in at 263.0 yesterday, 5/1. Obviously a ton of that's gotta be water weight, but I lost 2" from my waist and .5" from my hips. So, it's working. That drives me to keep pushing through... But I'm like a frickin' bomb. Just hate being this way. I'm sure with my weight I could put myself at a lesser deficit and still lose weight. But I still would have the food restrictions... :/ Idk. Maybe this rotten phase will pass soon.

You can eat whatever you want. Just account for it within your day. I saved 340 calories for my favorite kind of ice cream sandwich tonight simply because I've been craving it so badly. I just had to cut some calories from my lunch and one of my snacks earlier in the day. I still ate lunch and a snack- just lower calories in both so that I had some left to indulge my craving. As long as you're still eating at a deficit, you'll still lose!

This is baffling to me... I can go eat a roll if I want? It truly doesn't matter what I eat as long as I don't go over my limit? Don't the processed, starchy carbs make you gain, not lose? I guess the math makes sense... I'm just not getting how I can eat a slice of pizza or a piece of grilled chicken and a salad and arrive at the same results??

How is it baffling? If they are the same amount of calories .....?

For satiety, it might not be the best idea to eat absolutely what you want every day. For example, one slice of pizza can be the same amount of calories as a huge salad filled with veggies and lean meat. You might not feel as full on a slice of pizza. But, calories in/calories out.
  • CWynne3
    Options
    How did you come up with 1350?

How much weight do you need to lose, AND did you set the goal wizard here at "Lose two pounds per week"? If so, dial it back to "Lose one pound per week." You'll get more calories and you will feel better.

Also, I see your beautiful baby in your picture. :) I'm guessing with a husband and a baby you are not "Sedentary." Set your goals as "Lightly active" - you'll get more calories. More restriction isn't better - it makes us HANGRY!!

This is my doctor... Telling me I'm morbidly obese and should consume 1200-1300 calories a day max. I need to cut the processed foods, lose the soda, etc. So that's what I've been doing for 8 days now... Though it feels like 80 days!

I have 4 beautiful babies! 10, 7, 3 and 1! I homeschool the oldest 3. Between that, play dates, and keeping up with my house... I stay pretty busy. Half the time I don't even get to sit down to eat. But I don't go out and exercise or take walks at all (yet)...so... sedentary?
  • CWynne3
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    If you are crabby, it sounds like you are either:
    1) trying to change too much at once (ie, on some sort of restrictive diet rather than just reducing your calories),
    2) you aren't eating enough (ie, deficit too high / trying to lose more than a pound or two a week), or
    3) you aren't satiated / feeling full with what you are eating (ie, you may need more protein/fat than you are getting (unless carbs work for you then you may need to bump those up) - for me, protein/fat keeps me fuller than carbs, but YMMV).

My guess would be that you have an imbalance in one (or more) of those situations and you need to adjust to not be so hangry (which is why I <3 the snickers recommendation).

When I started MFP, I was so stoked. I could eat anything again, and only had to reduce my calories...it was liberating for me after trying so many restrictive diets that didn't really work for me. Bacon made it back into my eating, as well as full fat cheeses, and wine wasn't forbidden. The more I learned, the more I realized I had been restricting myself too much, and I just needed to maintain a calorie deficit to lose. Now, over time I learned that I needed to work on balancing my macros for nutrition (and I still have to work on that some days). But my first weeks on MFP and counting calories was glorious although shocking when I figured how small real single serving sizes were...and that's why I had put on most of my weight.

Good luck figuring it out...it's no fun being crabby unless it is your nature to be crabby.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Maybe I'm going about this all wrong...
  • bbell1985
    Options
    How did you come up with 1350?

How much weight do you need to lose, AND did you set the goal wizard here at "Lose two pounds per week"? If so, dial it back to "Lose one pound per week." You'll get more calories and you will feel better.

Also, I see your beautiful baby in your picture. :) I'm guessing with a husband and a baby you are not "Sedentary." Set your goals as "Lightly active" - you'll get more calories. More restriction isn't better - it makes us HANGRY!!

This is my doctor... Telling me I'm morbidly obese and should consume 1200-1300 calories a day max. I need to cut the processed foods, lose the soda, etc. So that's what I've been doing for 8 days now... Though it feels like 80 days!

I have 4 beautiful babies! 10, 7, 3 and 1! I homeschool the oldest 3. Between that, play dates, and keeping up with my house... I stay pretty busy. Half the time I don't even get to sit down to eat. But I don't go out and exercise or take walks at all (yet)...so... sedentary?

Cutting sugary drinks is helpful. You might be able to still fit one in here and there. Processed foods don't have anything to do with calories and weight loss. I'd also enter your stats into MFP and see how many calories it gives you. It's hard to drop to 1200 calories. Especially if you don't need to. If your TDEE is over 2200 calories you could still lose 2 lbs per week eating MORE than 1200.
  • CWynne3
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A slice of pizza with a side salad is just about perfect, macro-wise. Calories are reasonable too.

Music to my ears!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats into MFP to lose 1 lb a week. Stick with that calorie goal. Eat what you want, log it accurately and stick within your calorie goal.
    You'll find that if you eat too many high-cal items, you'll run out of calories and be hungry somewhere throughout the day. Over time, you'll find a way to balance calories throughout the day and keep yourself satisfied. For example, instead of eating a whole pizza, you'll eat a couple of slices and some veggies to meet your calorie goal & not exceed it. You'll be losing, satisfied and happy.

MFP works, if you accurately log.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A happy dieter. Who would have thunkit?
  • CWynne3
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that doctors prescribe low, low calorie diets because they have little faith that the patient will stick with it and they figure the few pounds lost in the short term is better than nothing.

That and they probably assume they won't come on here and start weighing their food on a scale and logging accurately as well. So what the prescribe as 1200, probably ends up being closer to 1500 or more.

Except that THIS patient is weighing and measuring with diligence. And it has worked... Impressively so. But it's really a drastic change from my norm.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I read somewhere that doctors prescribe low, low calorie diets because they have little faith that the patient will stick with it and they figure the few pounds lost in the short term is better than nothing.

That and they probably assume they won't come on here and start weighing their food on a scale and logging accurately as well. So what the prescribe as 1200, probably ends up being closer to 1500 or more.

Except that THIS patient is weighing and measuring with diligence. And it has worked... Impressively so. But it's really a drastic change from my norm.

Exactly. Which is awesome that you are being so accurate. But such drastic changes and a low calorie goal...ya gonna get cranky. How long have you been doing it and how much have you lost? Maybe you posted it up above, sorry. Also, what are your stats? If you don't mind sharing. If not, you may be interested in entering them into the app and seeing what IT gives you for a calorie goal.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maybe I'm going about this all wrong...

I think you're finally getting it! Do a cleanse of all your preconceived rules on how to do this right and listen to the advice provided above.

• CWynne3
    Options

Exactly. Which is awesome that you are being so accurate. But such drastic changes and a low calorie goal...ya gonna get cranky. How long have you been doing it and how much have you lost? Maybe you posted it up above, sorry. Also, what are your stats? If you don't mind sharing. If not, you may be interested in entering them into the app and seeing what IT gives you for a calorie goal.

It's fine, I'm an open book. I've only been doing it for 8 days. Weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8 and weighed in yesterday, 5/1, at 263.0. So 10lbs in a week. I'm 5'6". I have no clue how many calories I was consuming prior to starting on 4/25.
  • bbell1985
    Options

It's fine, I'm an open book. I've only been doing it for 8 days. Weighed in on 4/25 at 273.8 and weighed in yesterday, 5/1, at 263.0. So 10lbs in a week. I'm 5'6". I have no clue how many calories I was consuming prior to starting on 4/25.

Lady you're going to be able to more to lose weight. You'll be happier too. I don't think your doctor expected you to be so meticulous.
  • CWynne3
    Options

Lady you're going to be able to more to lose weight. You'll be happier too. I don't think your doctor expected you to be so meticulous.

I'll punch in my numbers and give it a go. If it makes me feel more like myself and less like an *kitten*, then that would be golden! Thanks for the advice :)