Always hungry on 2,000 calories and not losing weight :( Please help!

Options
1235»

Replies

• theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    theledger5 wrote: »
    2000 cals a day sounds like a lot for weight loss. I am similar stats to you - 5'8" and 190lbs. I can only lose weight at 1400 cals a day and I train 4-5 times a week plus 10k steps a day. My maintenance cals are 1800 so unless you have a very active job then 2000 cals is probably too high. I would consider dropping to 1500-1600 and fill up with lots of fibrous veg, protein and drink plenty of water. It can be trial and error with the cals- I had to play around a little with the figures until I found what worked.

She's eating 3000 a day and maintaining. She needs to actually eat at 2000 calories a day and see what happens before changing things.

I'm 5'9" and 158lbs. I can maintain around 2500 to 3000, lose at 1800 to 2000.

She is eating 2000 a day and not losing- after 3 weeks - that's how I've read it. It would suggest something isn't right. There isn't a calorie deficit I would assume. Of course everyone is different, everyone's metabolic rate is different. It just struck me with similar stats that 2k a day is a lot. I would gain at that personally but like I said, we are all different.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    2000 cals a day sounds like a lot for weight loss. I am similar stats to you - 5'8" and 190lbs. I can only lose weight at 1400 cals a day and I train 4-5 times a week plus 10k steps a day. My maintenance cals are 1800 so unless you have a very active job then 2000 cals is probably too high. I would consider dropping to 1500-1600 and fill up with lots of fibrous veg, protein and drink plenty of water. It can be trial and error with the cals- I had to play around a little with the figures until I found what worked.

She's eating 3000 a day and maintaining. She needs to actually eat at 2000 calories a day and see what happens before changing things.

I'm 5'9" and 158lbs. I can maintain around 2500 to 3000, lose at 1800 to 2000.

She is eating 2000 a day and not losing- after 3 weeks - that's how I've read it. It would suggest something isn't right. There isn't a calorie deficit I would assume. Of course everyone is different, everyone's metabolic rate is different. It just struck me with similar stats that 2k a day is a lot. I would gain at that personally but like I said, we are all different.

OP's goal is 2,000 but she says in the OP that she is going over by about 1,000 each day due to her hunger. She's eating a lot more than 2,000.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    More and more I'm convinced this thread is an elaborate troll. Just look at all the infighting....
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your example menu, I'm not sure you are intaking 2000 cals, it may be less. I'm way more concerned about your hunger than 1 lb gain (which could easily be water weight). Either way, weight your food and you'll find out more truth to your story.

I didn't catch your age but I'm shorter, same weight and my "maintenance" is 2250 without exercise. What kind of job do you have? Do you have toddlers you are chasing around? Are you an astronaut? :-) Could be that you have yourself set at sedentary and you really aren't.

Also, as mentioned above, water, water, water.

Agree with others above, you don't have the best macro mix. Oatmeal and/or Fruit doesn't satisfy me either and it makes me crave more sugar.

If you weight your food, double check your activity level and the math adds up, keep in mind, it takes probably at least 30 days to stop fixating on food.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I just want to address the oatmeal thing with everyone saying it's unsatisfying. I actually find it super satisfying and on a smaller portion than most eat. I do make mine with milk (not full fat) so that may make a difference but maybe not. And I make it sweet so no adding in protein like eggs. So again, this is totally personal.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I just want to address the oatmeal thing with everyone saying it's unsatisfying. I actually find it super satisfying and on a smaller portion than most eat. I do make mine with milk (not full fat) so that may make a difference but maybe not. And I make it sweet so no adding in protein like eggs. So again, this is totally personal.

Yes, it's way better with milk.

I also add bananas and honey, but I only eat it on days w/ long bike rides.
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also find oatmeal satisfying, lately I've been having it uncooked mixed with greek yoghurt and sometimes i add a banana to it
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Me too. A serving of oatmeal with milk & a cup of berries keeps me satisfied for a long time, even just using the 40g that constitutes an actual serving instead of the 1/2 cup listed as a serving size (hint: they're not the same ;) ) Occasionally, if I know it's going to be a particularly long/busy morning, I'll supplement with an 80 calorie Greek yogurt or an egg.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I really feel for the OP.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Yes, it's way better with milk.

I also add bananas and honey, but I only eat it on days w/ long bike rides.

Ha, I'm the same, I only eat breakfast on workout days (IF the other days generally) and I add banana or dried fruit and honey. Oh and cinnamon.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes, oatmeal is great for some like my DH. For others like me, oatmeal does not satisfy hunger. I find that bacon and eggs, slice wheat toast works for me.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Agreed. I have always made mine with skim milk. Oatmeal is probably THE most satisfying thing that I can eat, for breakfast. Definitely personal preference.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Watch out for that smoothie. That thing can be packing some serious calories, carbs and sugar.