Q AND A 'Is it Ok to lose up to 40 lbs in one month?'

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Mishtia wrote: »
    160 cm and the goal 40 lbs is not exactly what i want, its my highest option to lose so sorry if i didnt really clear that up... And im preparing for something beside from the classes starting.. i can't say it here

For your weight and height, to lose 40 lbs realistically it will take about 2 years, probably more. Set your weight loss goal to about 2-3 lbs per month in the beginning, and prepare yourself that this will have to slow down a lot as you approach your goal
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    cyprant wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the naysayers... I am not a nutritionis or anything but here's my story how I lost 35 lbs in 23 days eating 1800 calories a day. I started at 275 and within about 3 weeks I lost 35lbs. I'm a 6'1" male 31 years old.

Breakfast: 2/3 cup steel cut oats with cinnamon and stevia OR 4 eggs.

Snack: 2 pieces of fruit.

Lunch: 5 cups spring mix/spinach with 8 ounces grilled cicken seasoned with Mrs. Dash.

Snack 18 almonds or protein bar.

Dinner: 8 ounces turkey meatballs (homemade) seasoned with Mrs. Dash. 20 spears asparagus. Salad with whatever veggies I want.

Snack: 3 cups skinny pop seasoned with mrs. Dash. Or sunshine frozen bar

I cut out all dairy, gluten, and really watched my sodium. Drank 120 ounces of water a day (or more)

I did not do any extra exercising at all.

Is anything here unhealthy?

I felt great, had more energy than ever, felt happier and was sleeping better. I also didn't have any cravings for bread, sugar, or fatty foods like I used to...

Seriously?

You started at a much higher weight than OP AND are male. You also unnecessary cut foods (some carbs) out causing you to lose water weight.

Everyone here is right. For OP, it is mathematically impossible to lose that much.

Pick a way of eating that can be sustained for life. The secret here is not what you eat, but how much.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    it is NOT UNHEALTHy!! its probably acidic waste and water weight anyways!!!

No. Just no.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    WTF is "acidic waste" ?
    I am thinking of something like: o4ahnh7y8ejl.png
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Huh???!!!!!!! 40lbs in 4 weeks?? At a starting weight of 146lbs and 160 cm???? What wld you say to your friend if they were to ask you that? Would you not be concerned for both their physical and mental wellbeing?
    Is this a real question or a troll?
    Just no
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    WTF is "acidic waste" ?
    I am thinking of something like: o4ahnh7y8ejl.png

You mean you dont poop one of those out every day?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    You mean...? That's not normal... Oh.

No wonder I'm spending so much on plumbing bills. Who knew?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    At 387lb on a liquid only diet prescribed by my doctor (below 500 cals a day) i lost 20lb in a month so ill go ahead and say no you wont be able to lose 40lb in that time frame no way no how.

If your goal is to be healthy then slow down, aim to lose at most 1lb a week and if its a nice tight body your after at your age then consider a progressive lifting programme
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Also, to get near 40lbs lost, you'll have to chop off a limb in that time frame.

Not true. She's young... say she burns 2000calories a day normally. If she works out for 4 hrs a day she could easily burn another 2000 calories (I burned about 1500 per day average when I was a teen when I'd go to the gym) and if she ate 500 calories she'd be losing way too fast.

Umm... Yeah true. She's 5'3" 149lbs and wants to get to 109lbs in a month. Working out 4 hours a day is not going to make that happen. And even if she could find the time to exercise intensely enough to lose 10lbs a week. (She still can't.) But, hypothetically, if she could, it would be exceedingly dangerous.

Uh yeah no one said it wasn't a bad idea. But they're saying it's impossible. I thought she was saying she already did lose 40lbs in one month. And I know from experience it's possible. I had a friggin ED so dont tell me it's not. I worked out 4-6hrs a day 6 days a week and I was active in general when I was a teen.. It's a BAD idea but saying it's impossible isn't true and also brushes it off to me like "oh she cant do it anyway..." yes she could no she shouldnt! it would be very dangerous. She's here asking if it's ok so I hope she will do the healthy thing and just not do what she's doing. Otherwise, hopefully she seeks medical help before she does succeed and could damage her body. Again, I know from experience. It can cause you a lot of medical problems!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    Codswallop.
  • Verity1111
    Options

My mind is boggled at the idea that you seem to think that over one quarter of this persons body mass is taken up by water weight and "acidic waste". You need to study some physiology.

Well, technically over 1/4 IS composted of water, but not "acidic waste"... that's idk what that even means in her statement lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

My mind is boggled at the idea that you seem to think that over one quarter of this persons body mass is taken up by water weight and "acidic waste". You need to study some physiology.

Well, technically over 1/4 IS composted of water, but not "acidic waste"... that's idk what that even means in her statement lol

Oh, this is true, but that 1/4 which is water is supposed to be there lol, we'd be pretty badly off without it! The post appears to infer that it's water weight which can be lost!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    160 cm and the goal 40 lbs is not exactly what i want, its my highest option to lose so sorry if i didnt really clear that up... And im preparing for something beside from the classes starting.. i can't say it here

For your weight and height, to lose 40 lbs realistically it will take about 2 years, probably more. Set your weight loss goal to about 2-3 lbs per month in the beginning, and prepare yourself that this will have to slow down a lot as you approach your goal

Okay that's ridiculous. 40lbs per month is too fast and 40lbs in 2 years is an unnecessary amount of slow. She can lose more than 2-3lbs per month IMO. She can SAFELY lose double that. You're allowed to lose about 1% of your body weight per week. ie. if you're 300lbs, you can aim for 3lbs per week and so on...so for her about 1.5lbs per week or 7ish lbs per month. To say 2-3lbs a month might be discouraging totally or might freak someone out so much that they rush it more. She could lose 40lbs within a year and it would be healthy and a lot better than losing it in one month. She should aim for 5-10 per month rather than 40.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Also, to get near 40lbs lost, you'll have to chop off a limb in that time frame.

Not true. She's young... say she burns 2000calories a day normally. If she works out for 4 hrs a day she could easily burn another 2000 calories (I burned about 1500 per day average when I was a teen when I'd go to the gym) and if she ate 500 calories she'd be losing way too fast.

Umm... Yeah true. She's 5'3" 149lbs and wants to get to 109lbs in a month. Working out 4 hours a day is not going to make that happen. And even if she could find the time to exercise intensely enough to lose 10lbs a week. (She still can't.) But, hypothetically, if she could, it would be exceedingly dangerous.

Uh yeah no one said it wasn't a bad idea. But they're saying it's impossible. I thought she was saying she already did lose 40lbs in one month. And I know from experience it's possible. I had a friggin ED so dont tell me it's not. I worked out 4-6hrs a day 6 days a week and I was active in general when I was a teen.. It's a BAD idea but saying it's impossible isn't true and also brushes it off to me like "oh she cant do it anyway..." yes she could no she shouldnt! it would be very dangerous.

No she said she wanted to lose 40lb in a month as her school classes start back in june

Honestly why do you keep insisting its possible because you had an ED?

Those susceptable will read your posts about how you did it with 6 hours exercise a day and take it as a challenge

It is possible because I've done it. That doesn't make it right. Um because I won't lie either? Is it possible yes, is it healthy NO she could end up in the hospital. I'm allowed to state facts while saying yes it's true but no don't do that because ___. And having been in that situation being lied to would just piss me off. I dont know about her or you but I appreciate honesty.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Oh, this is true, but that 1/4 which is water is supposed to be there lol, we'd be pretty badly off without it! The post appears to infer that it's water weight which can be lost!

Yeah, I have no desire to turn into a human jerky. I would much rather stay alive, thank you. Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Uh yeah no one said it wasn't a bad idea. But they're saying it's impossible. I thought she was saying she already did lose 40lbs in one month. And I know from experience it's possible. I had a friggin ED so dont tell me it's not. I worked out 4-6hrs a day 6 days a week and I was active in general when I was a teen.. It's a BAD idea but saying it's impossible isn't true and also brushes it off to me like "oh she cant do it anyway..." yes she could no she shouldnt! it would be very dangerous.

No she said she wanted to lose 40lb in a month as her school classes start back in june

Honestly why do you keep insisting its possible because you had an ED?

Those susceptable will read your posts about how you did it with 6 hours exercise a day and take it as a challenge

And youre missing the point. If theres a danger sign and you just say "its not possible for you to do that" some people take THAT as a challenge like oh you think I can't? Well, okay, but I'll just try and see. So I'd rather say it is but don't try it.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you've had WLS, then yes, 40lbs in a month is perfectly normal. If not, then it's not only not normal, but not healthy, especially considering that you only weigh 146 lbs.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    If you've had WLS, then yes, 40lbs in a month is perfectly normal. If not, then it's not only not normal, but not healthy, especially considering that you only weigh 146 lbs.

Even on a medically supervised, VLCD and a high starting weight, this would be a push.
  • LKArgh
    Options

Okay that's ridiculous. 40lbs per month is too fast and 40lbs in 2 years is an unnecessary amount of slow. She can lose more than 2-3lbs per month IMO. She can SAFELY lose double that. You're allowed to lose about 1% of your body weight per week. ie. if you're 300lbs, you can aim for 3lbs per week and so on...so for her about 1.5lbs per week or 7ish lbs per month. To say 2-3lbs a month might be discouraging totally or might freak someone out so much that they rush it more. She could lose 40lbs within a year and it would be healthy and a lot better than losing it in one month. She should aim for 5-10 per month rather than 40.

She is not trying to go from obese to slim. She is trying to get roughly from a BMI of 25 to a BMI of 19. In order to do this, look and feel good in the process, and not develop an eating disorder, 2-3 lbs per month is actually a very reasonable start, and it will significantly slow down as she gets closer to her goal. Going e.g. from a BMI of 20 to a BMI of 19 is something that will take several weeks, to do it in a healthy and sustainable way, even if it is just a few lbs total. No one who is in a healthy BMI range loses 10 lbs a month and feels good! Even if she could manage this for a month (which again would not be recommended), it would not be sustainable.
This discussion has been closed.