Heavy Whipping Cream serving size after its been whipped?

2»

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    mostly as "for me" its a pretty heavy handed way to address someone, and far more likely to offend then it is to educate.

My concern was that telling OP that trying to estimate a single snack/bite of whipped cream (or 2-3 bites) was worthless, and if she couldn't weigh it, or wasn't already weighing or planning to weigh her food, she might as well not bother counting cals/using MFP is extremely and needlessly discouraging, and rather out of the blue in a question about how to measure/count something she is trying to eat today.

I think that's a legitimate concern, although of course you can disagree. (I also think telling her "if you aren't going to weigh, don't even bother trying" is, in fact, absurd, as well as extremely dismissive, but like I said, we can just call it generally not true for most, if you prefer.)

Cheers.

On second thought, I apologize... You were correct in your appraisal of the situation.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    The OP was 4 years ago...not sure they are still around.

Heh, I am usually better at not getting taken in! How did that get revived?
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2021
    Anyone who thinks one can successfully count calories using a diary and a database without a scale needs to re-examine ones thinking.

Contrary to this expansive claim, the truth is that many people do, in fact, successfully lose weight counting cals without a scale. There are many people here who never used a scale, yet were successful counting cals with MFP. I was successful using MFP to count cals before I started using a scale (I switched because I realized that the way my mind works I find it more enjoyable to have gram numbers than to have to estimate volume, but I am confident it would have continued to be as successful without using the scale).

People also counted cals before apps like MFP and scales were common, and it's possible to get the benefit without trying to count exact cals (one can write down what they've been eating, figure out how to reduce cals, and then write down what they eat). One major benefit of MFP is that it's a way to track whether or not you are eating less, which is generally helpful. Everyone's calorie numbers are probably off, after all -- it doesn't matter if I am right in thinking I'm eating 1500 net daily, what matters is I have a consistent way to tell generally how much I am eating and therefore to eat more or less if what I'm doing is not giving me the anticipated results.

So yes, there are alternatives.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    mostly as "for me" its a pretty heavy handed way to address someone, and far more likely to offend then it is to educate.

My concern was that telling OP that trying to estimate a single snack/bite of whipped cream (or 2-3 bites) was worthless, and if she couldn't weigh it, or wasn't already weighing or planning to weigh her food, she might as well not bother counting cals/using MFP is extremely and needlessly discouraging, and rather out of the blue in a question about how to measure/count something she is trying to eat today.

I think that's a legitimate concern, although of course you can disagree. (I also think telling her "if you aren't going to weigh, don't even bother trying" is, in fact, absurd, as well as extremely dismissive, but like I said, we can just call it generally not true for most, if you prefer.)

Cheers.

On second thought, I apologize... You were correct in your appraisal of the situation.

Thank you. I appreciate that!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Good luck to those of you who count calories without a scale. I'd think the $18 is essential but I'm glad lemurcat doesn't need a scale and I am sure she has some followers who don't need a scale.