Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    This isn't a zero sum game, of course. Most health insurance is priced at group rates. So if a penalty isn't put on overweight people, we ALL pay the additional costs. They just raise the prices on the whole group overall the next time the employer negogiates with the insurance company.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Just found out my job doesn't charge for being obese but if you go and get a health screening, and work on what they tell you to work on, you get a $250 health spending card.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited June 2017
    hesn92 wrote: »
    No. Everyone should be entitled to the same level of healthcare. I feel it's a basic human right. ]]

That's a great applause line but we all know that it's far, far more complex than that.

It begs the question :
    What is healthcare ?

i.e.
    Where does one draw the line on services?

And, of course, who pays for it?
  • goodkoalie
    goodkoalie Posts: 84 Member
    Definitely. People who are more at risk should pay more. As a young male, I pay more for car insurance then almost everybody. The same should apply to healthcare.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Should older people pay more for health insurance? How about health care? Should a doctor charge a 60 year old more than a 20 year old for the same procedure?
  • foodhasfeelingstoo
    foodhasfeelingstoo Posts: 13 Member
    Absolutely not! Obese people as well as others with serious health conditions (such as old people) should not carry an extra burden. Instead of blaming obese people for their condition which is a tricky combination of physical and mental issues - more should be invested into prevention, research, and treatment. The world is dealing with this problem for less than fifty years.

Making someone pay for being sick is cruel.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    No. Everyone should be entitled to the same level of healthcare. I feel it's a basic human right. It's similar to charging people more who have a pre existing condition. What else, are we going to charge people more who have a genetic predisposition to certain Illnesses?

Basic human rights would be life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

You have no right to demand services provided by another individual.

As Senator Paul pointed out. That's called slavery.
  • NathanR5000
    NathanR5000 Posts: 3 Member
    It doesn't necessarily need to be a slippery slope issue or about punishment and reward. Healthcare is a service provided to individuals. Those that use that service more often, for whatever reason, ought to pay more than those that use it less frequently. This should also account for more expensive treatments. I don't really understand why anyone would think that it's fair or beneficial to a society to essentially force others to pay for my bad luck and/or poor life choices.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    No. Everyone should be entitled to the same level of healthcare. I feel it's a basic human right. It's similar to charging people more who have a pre existing condition. What else, are we going to charge people more who have a genetic predisposition to certain Illnesses?

But everyone who buys health insurance is forcing other people to pay for their healthcare....that's how it works. Whatever is billed to your insurance company by a Dr is paid from a pool of money that other people have paid into. The only way you can truly enact this belief is to not buy health insurance but self pay for every health expense.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »

Oh so calling 911 for fire, or police is actually calling up "slaves" is it? How so? Everyone pays taxes for these services no matter how much they need/use them.

Yes I pay for those services.

And if they went away it wouldn't be the loss of a human right.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

But everyone who buys health insurance is forcing other people to pay for their healthcare....that's how it works. Whatever is billed to your insurance company by a Dr is paid from a pool of money that other people have paid into. The only way you can truly enact this belief is to not buy health insurance but self pay for every health expense.

Well we did not used to be forced by government to purchase health insurance, so people had a choice.

This is not how it works, but a simplistic facade. When you wonder why healthcare costs are so expensive look no further than the price exchange programs managed by government, insurance, wholesale distributors, hospital networks, and pharmaceutical/medical device companies.

We would be far better off removing insurance from this process.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

Oh so calling 911 for fire, or police is actually calling up "slaves" is it? How so? Everyone pays taxes for these services no matter how much they need/use them.

Fire, EMT, police services are all government employees.

Are you going to nationalize physicians, nurses, and all medical personnel?