Anyone doing the keto diet?

Options
I've just started, and I think I get the general idea of it. But any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to add me also. You can tell me where I'm going wrong

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's a good group to join: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There's a great launchpad with lots of information. I just started experimenting with it (I've been at maintenance but want to lose a bit more), but lots of people there have been doing it longer.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    This is the third or fourth thread on Keto on the first page alone, it's been super popular lately.

Tip?
    Get your electrolytes!
  • nebulah_exe
    nebulah_exe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been taking magnesium suppliments so far, and I'm hoping to get the rest in my foods. Is there anything else you'd recommend?
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Avoid "Fat bombs" if you're doing keto to lose weight. Not to be rude but, those of us doing it to lose weight already have plenty of fat. :D

Do lots of food prep... get your green veggies. Don't neglect your protein.
  • nebulah_exe
    Options
    Haha yes! We've made a menu for the week so hopefully that should help
  • jaybelovely
    jaybelovely Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes are your friend! Stay away from rice/potatoes :) (you can buy propel packets, zero carbs to add to your water. Make sure you are getting sufficient amounts of sodium. Eggs are your best go to for breakfast. Healthy amount of fats and you can add anything to it!

If you workout, add your carbs to your morning and pre workout.
    As mentioned before, sugar free jello and whipped topping, look up low carb recipes on Pinterest, and keep sweets out of the house:)
  • nebulah_exe
    Options
    My 6ft 5" boyfriend has just had to hide my leftover chocolates above the wall cupboards where I can't reach haha!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Snerr wrote: »
    I've been taking magnesium suppliments so far, and I'm hoping to get the rest in my foods. Is there anything else you'd recommend?

You'll probably need between 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. There's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt so you'll need a couple of teaspoons worth of salt. You need more if you are fatigued, get headaches, muscle aches or stomach issues.
  • katiebelleck
    katiebelleck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm just sooooo confused. 1350 calories per day. 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. 10 days, haven't lost an ounce, ok I can be patient but I just don't get it. 75% fat is a lot of fat - where's the incentive for my body to start reaching into my thighs?

From reading the threads I can guess that I'm not drinking enough water and that I need to give up artificial sweetener. Having a hard time believing that 3 packets of sweet n lo are my downfall, but I'll drink the kool aid if there are results at the end.

Feeling good, just not losing,

Advice?
    Thanks,
    Kate
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm just sooooo confused. 1350 calories per day. 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. 10 days, haven't lost an ounce, ok I can be patient but I just don't get it. 75% fat is a lot of fat - where's the incentive for my body to start reaching into my thighs?

From reading the threads I can guess that I'm not drinking enough water and that I need to give up artificial sweetener. Having a hard time believing that 3 packets of sweet n lo are my downfall, but I'll drink the kool aid if there are results at the end.

Advice?
    Thanks,
    Kate

If you're not losing on 1350 calories chances are good you're not counting your calories correctly. Unless you only have a small amount of weight to lose? If that's the case you might just need to give it more time - a lot of things can mask weightloss on the scale and 10 days just might be too soon to tell. If you start a new thread I'm sure people will be happy to help you with that if you open your diary and give them some details.

With regards to your macros, is that how much protein you like eating or are you limiting it to 20% because you read that some where? 67g of protein seems low to me and I think most people who are dieting would benefit from more. You should be eating fat to satiety not eating it just to eat it or aiming for a certain percentage. What's important for ketosis - if that's your goal - is carb restriction. You don't need to eat low/moderate protein or high fat.

P.S. You should drink water to thirst, drinking more than that won't make you lose weight. If sweeteners impact your appetite (make you hungry, give you cravings, are part of bad food habits etc.) you should cut them out, if they don't you can eat them and lose weight just fine.
  • nebulah_exe
    Options
    I find I finish up at around 1700 calories and the weight dropped off for me. And I wouldn't force feed yourself the fats - they just help to prevent cravings, so I'd only have them if you truly want them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Advice?
    Thanks,
    Kate

Sometimes the body needs some time to readjust. I recently went from low carb to almost zero carb with more protein than I used to have. I actually gained almost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks even though I was feeling better and, if anything, slightly smaller. In the third week those extra pounds all fell off, plus a bit more. Give it time.

And do make sure you are weighing your food. Many people estimate wrong. Most really.