Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This exact subject makes me so damn irritated! I swear people think that it is child abuse if you feed your kids healthy food! And you know what?!? I hate even calling it healthy food! IT'S FOOD!! REAL DAMN FOOD!! The garbage that most people feed their kids is disgusting!! I have people judge me all the time because my kids eat what I eat...vegetables, proteins, low sugar. They think that I am being unfair to my kids and that I'm not feeding them real food. I love how people think that hot dogs, cookies, candy, pizza, etc is a great diet for kids. To me, FEEDING YOUR KIDS THAT CRAP IS ABUSE!! Sorry! Had to rant..I was having this exact discussion with someone today because they said they couldn't diet because they couldn't feed their kids diet food!!! What exactly is diet food?? Are you talking vegetables, fiber, good oils/fats, lean meats? Because that is real food!! GRRRR

Please be a troll please be a troll please be a troll
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This exact subject makes me so damn irritated! I swear people think that it is child abuse if you feed your kids healthy food! And you know what?!? I hate even calling it healthy food! IT'S FOOD!! REAL DAMN FOOD!! The garbage that most people feed their kids is disgusting!! I have people judge me all the time because my kids eat what I eat...vegetables, proteins, low sugar. They think that I am being unfair to my kids and that I'm not feeding them real food. I love how people think that hot dogs, cookies, candy, pizza, etc is a great diet for kids. To me, FEEDING YOUR KIDS THAT CRAP IS ABUSE!! Sorry! Had to rant..I was having this exact discussion with someone today because they said they couldn't diet because they couldn't feed their kids diet food!!! What exactly is diet food?? Are you talking vegetables, fiber, good oils/fats, lean meats? Because that is real food!! GRRRR

Please be a troll please be a troll please be a troll

Lol!
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    depends on the parents --- my twins are 15 months ... they love fruits b/c they are sweet --- getting veggies in sometimes is difficult (and not b/c of television) ... however, we do tricks like buying brocoli bites and morning star veggie links to go with their eggs

our babies eat healthier than most adults --- however, one day they will eat pizza and mcdonalds (in moderation)
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    When we go out to dinner it's a treat for the kids because we do not do it often. They will get the nuggets and fries and basically scream in praise because they are getting a break from their quinoa, friut/veggie healthy eating lives. I even make my own breading for chicken nuggets at home that contains veggies (from the sneaky chef cook book) so they are allowed to indulge when we go out. My kids do make healthy choices on a regular basis and and probably some of the only kids who actually EAT their veggies at school lunches.

Oh, and sometimes parents just want a QUIET meal with NO complaining!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The fact that people feel that it's okay to call other people bad or lazy parents because they allow their kids to have ice cream or chicken nuggets occasionally just astounds me. I wouldn't call someone a bad parent for never allowing their children those things, that is their personal choice. So many judgemental people who feel that their way is the only right way.

I've found that when it comes to kids, EVERYONE has an opinion and a judgment to make about parents, especially people who don't even have children.

It just amazes me the things that people call bad parenting. I believe that there can be more than one right way to do things, not "my way is the only way." Just because you do things differently than someone else, that does not make the other person a bad parent.

I agree, but sadly, people still constantly judge anyway. The best thing to do is to let it roll off your back and do what you and your partner know is best for your family. That's the only way I've learned to deal with it.

While letting kids eat junk occasionally is not bad parenting, letting them eat it as dietary staple is. It doesn't matter whether the parent thinks it is, it just is. I know people that put Pepsi in baby bottles and feed children barely able to walk Cheetos. These kids are too young to even know what those things were if it weren't for the parents. And their kids grow up fat and become obese and develop disease. Lazy parents that are "too busy" to cook so they feed their children fast food or prepackaged frozen meals on a regular basis are considering their own comfort more than the well being of their children.

Giving birth is not some magic that makes stupid people know what's best for their children.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm seeing a ton of judgy mcjudgersons around here... My DD eats better than I do the majority of the time... 2 chicken nuggets, 10 fries and 10 apple slices aren't going to make a huge difference in her nutritional make up... this girl eats fruits and veggies like they are going out of style... but how would you know that unless you were a creeper watching me feed my child every meal.

Seriously, MYOB. I don't need you telling me how to feed my child... whether it's breastfeeding in public or give her the occasional happy meal.

^^^^ this

just because someone sees kids eating fast food on one occasion, it doesn't mean they eat like that for every meal. Nothing wrong with fast food in moderation if the rest of the diet is nutritionally balanced.

I teach my kids what nutrients their bodies need and what foods contain them. I'm teaching them why too much too often of some foods is bad for them, but that eating those foods in sensible quantities once in a while won't do them any harm. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food - that doesn't just mean avoiding systematic overeating, it also means avoiding undereating, dangerously restrictive diets and irrational fears of specific foods or food groups.
  • gastlysmom
    gastlysmom Posts: 28
    Options
    Between Instagram and people-watching at restaurants, I notice that parents will make healthy decisions for themselves, but order deep-friend/fatty foods for their own kids. Why is that?
    because IF you have not trained your kids and are just starting a lifestyle change yourself, its a process. don't be critical. i was very lucky that my kids preferred fruit over candy and a piece of baked chicken over a cheeseburger. i have a niece who ate NOTHING but mac and cheese and white bread for 4 plus years. she grew out of it luckily but its all about education.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    First let me say I'm a mother of 4 and step mother to 3. The excuses to feed kids garbage on here are just amazing...picky eaters, that's all they have on the kids menu. Blah, blah blah... Hey guess what, you don't HAVE to order from the kids menu, you can *gasp* order them something a bit more healthy from the adult menu and split it between you and them, since we all know the portion sizes at restaurants are way too big. So why is it all the picky children only live in the US or the overindulged European nations? How is it a Asian child can eat vegetables, lean meats and rice, but an american child has a special tongue that can't handle it? I lived in the Phillippines when I was 8-12 years old and the things my young tongue ate would just blow your mind. Squid, fish head soup, stir fry, etc and I liked it. I was taught you eat what is given to you or don't eat at all, which my kids are taught now too. My 3 year old and 5 year old love baked fish, beans, quinoa, asparagus, greek yogurt, etc...all the things I eat. Making excuses is just lazy parenting if you ask me. It's an epidemic of lazy, spoiled over indulged people turning their children into the same thing.

This answer makes good sense to me; that it's a cultural thing.
  • megalin9
    Options
    Most of the responses in this thread are from other parents like me who are trying their darndest to do right by their kids: to teach them healthy habits, to allow treats, to deal the best they can with picky eaters, etc. You guys make me happy. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Some of the others....:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :huh:

I honestly don't really have words for you guys.
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't see many other people who grew up with health-nut parents here, but mine were. They'd USUALLY let me get whatever I wanted, although if it was chicken fingers like three outings in a row, they'd draw the line. While eating, they'd spend a lot of time explaining why they choose not to eat whatever I'm eating. I was a kid, it didn't ruin my life or make me super health conscious or anything. I didn't give a ****. I was probably just thinking about Pokemon most of the time.

Don't be judgmental, kids are weird and parenting is hard. Not to mention- a lot of kids menus have generally crappy options and kids rarely seem to clean their plates.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can feed your kids things like French fries, chicken nuggets, and ice cream. And yes, kids need fat, just like they do protein and carbs. But not all fats are the same, and kids don’t need trans fats and high quantities of saturated fats, like those found in the most of the foods listed above.

You can easily buy healthy fries, cooked in healthy oil, organic/natural chicken strips, and ice cream made without dyes, artificial flavors, and added sugar. Unfortunately that takes a little extra effort, and isn’t really possible via the drive thru window at McDonalds or Dairy Queen.

It is hypocritical for the parents to eat well while feeding the kids garbage. And yes, I have two kids.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That's why there's so much obesity. You learn the bad habits young that carry on into adulthood.

I know parents who do not feed their kids sugar or processed foods at all and the kids are not deprived and they love the food they eat because it's all they know. They don't have ADHD, are healthy and love, love, love fruit as a dessert and eat veggies like candy and nuts and avocado and coconut oil for fat. It's the way it should be in a healthy world.
  • megalin9
    Options
    First let me say I'm a mother of 4 and step mother to 3. The excuses to feed kids garbage on here are just amazing...picky eaters, that's all they have on the kids menu. Blah, blah blah... Hey guess what, you don't HAVE to order from the kids menu, you can *gasp* order them something a bit more healthy from the adult menu and split it between you and them, since we all know the portion sizes at restaurants are way too big. So why is it all the picky children only live in the US or the overindulged European nations? How is it a Asian child can eat vegetables, lean meats and rice, but an american child has a special tongue that can't handle it? I lived in the Phillippines when I was 8-12 years old and the things my young tongue ate would just blow your mind. Squid, fish head soup, stir fry, etc and I liked it. I was taught you eat what is given to you or don't eat at all, which my kids are taught now too. My 3 year old and 5 year old love baked fish, beans, quinoa, asparagus, greek yogurt, etc...all the things I eat. Making excuses is just lazy parenting if you ask me. It's an epidemic of lazy, spoiled over indulged people turning their children into the same thing.

Where is that high horse gif?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Was thinking the same thing. At home it's a eat what we made for dinner or you don't eat at all mentality. The few times we to a restaurant, all bets are off....that's why we're going to a restaurant.

As a treat we're taking the kids to Minnesota Vikings training camp on Saturday and stopping at Buffalo Wild Wings on the way home because....wait for it....it's a treat and that's what my 4 year old likes, so if you want to report me to child protective services, I'll be at the BWW in North Mankato on Saturday. I'll have the healthy, athletic 4yr old eating fries.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Between Instagram and people-watching at restaurants, I notice that parents will make healthy decisions for themselves, but order deep-friend/fatty foods for their own kids. Why is that?

You are making an assumption that ALL these parents feed their kids like that all the time. My family goes out very rarely so when we do we let the kids to make their own choices, otherwise where would the fun be for them. Fortunately my kids are the kind of kids who will order a side salad or soup but they also enjoy the fried finger foods and greasy burgers.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

[/quote

I don't think that high horse remark was called for. The quoted post makes a great deal of sense, that it's cultural and has to do with what the parents eat. I thought that was the best response on this thread. Some of the responses bother me, i.e., making McDirty foods ,fried food, nuggets, etc., into "rewards" or "treats" to be indulged in when the family goes out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I don't think that high horse remark was called for. The quoted post makes a great deal of sense, that it's cultural and has to do with what the parents eat. I thought that was the best response on this thread. Some of the responses bother me, i.e., making McDirty foods ,fried food, nuggets, etc., into "rewards" or "treats" to be indulged in when the family goes out.

It's an epidemic of lazy, spoiled over indulged people turning their children into the same thing.

High horse is high.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Let me first say that I am a mother of 4 children. I have taught all 4 of them to eat healthy but I have also taught them that a little bit of indulgence is good for your body too. For the most part we eat healthy meals at home full of fruits and veggies which my children do not complain about because they know that what I serve for dinner is what you are getting, period. We go out to eat maybe once every 2-3 months. The few times we do go out, my children do not chose fast food places such as McDonalds or Burger King because they just don't like the food there. If they want a burger, they want a real one cooked on the grill at home, usually made out of turkey meat rather than the standard hamburg and that is what they prefer. When we do go out to eat, I let them chose whatever they want off of the menu because I know that even if it is a poor choice fat and calorie wise, it is ok because for the most part they make good choices. You know what, they usually chose a salad or something healthy like that anyway.

Even though I have taught all 4 of my children the same about what they should eat and what they shouldn't eat, each one will make their own choices. Certain ones will chose hot air popped popcorn with nothing on it (not the microwave crap), fresh veggies, fresh fruit or yogurt for their snack every time and some of my other children will ask for ice cream and cookies every snack time. So by saying that the only reason why a child chooses junk food is because a parent only feeds them junk food is crazy. That is like saying that a child will spend their life in and out of jail because their parents did so. No matter how educated someone is, whether they are an adult or a child, they are going to make their own decisions in life and who are you to judge them especially if this is the only time you have ever seen them.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options

However I would say that a child learns from their parents...fussy eater parents = fussy eating children... and a parent that gives in to their childs "fussy eating" is one who just isn't doing themselves any favours in fact I'd say they are a little bit stupid because they will turn into my mum she cooks at least 2 (sometimes 4!) different meals

I don't agree with that at all. My oldest is super fussy and definitely didn't get that from either me or my husband. It's just how she is. She's super picky. As long as she tries things at least twice, I don't give her a hard time about it. I will not stand there and make her eat something I Know she doesn't like. I also make ONE (lately two because of myself going gluten free) meal for my family. Don't like it? Don't eat it. I won't make things I know my kids don't like though, that's not stupid, that's just being a good parent, IMO.

I didn't mean that all fussy eating children had fussy parents, I meant it more the other way, that fussy parents aren't going to have non fussy children... so chances are your daughter if she has children they will probably be fussy eaters. We're at the start of a new pattern of fussy eaters there is too much freedom, choice, and wealth, we are living in a time that we can pick what we want to eat, if we don't like one thing there is something we can have instead. Where as just a few generations ago they didnt have these options they were restricted in their diet, they literally had to eat or go hungry they had no oh I'll just have that instead.

There is the not wanting to force children to eat something, but then also have to remember that taste buds change a lot and very quickly, I was a child who loved fish fingers and prawns where as now those and olives are the only things I literally cannot eat. You don't get to learn that you now like things unless you keep trying them. In the last year I discovered I now like asparagus and sweet potatoe.
    My mum would LOVE to cook one meal but the only thing we all eat is roast chicken so we'd all soon get pretty sick of that, and we don't even all eat the same veg :| talk about awkward!
    x