Anyone doing an intermittent fasting method?

Options
I just started this new method, Intermittent Fasting (IF) which involves fasting for 16 hours and eating all macros/calories in a 8 hour period. I need new friends to help keep each other accountable even if you're using a different method. We are all on the same journey- a healthier version of ourselves.

Replies

• karlajardine
    karlajardine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just been reading about this method as well!
  • karlajardine
    karlajardine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me! I'm not even sure how to do that on here!
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me! I'm not even sure how to do that on here!

I'd add you but I don't know how either lol
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just started a fasted workout in the morning so far so good. Am gonna start a HIIT routine...soon. How do we add friends, help?
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Go to the person's profile page & click on "Add as friend." Someone I know has done IF for the last month and she's really liking it. Lost a little poundage, but *looks* like she lost a lot, and says she feels more energetic. I'd try it myself, but I so love my coffee with half-n-half first thing in the morning.
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've used it before and I had pretty good results--granted it was only for about a week haha. Personally, "skipping" my lunch and going that long without eating really messes with me. I'm not sure if I legitimately have low blood glucose, but I get dizzy, tired, faint, and an overall awful feeling overtakes me whenever I go too long without food. So I stopped.

BUT, I've heard a lot of benefits and success stories from others who use it. A lot of body builders successfully use it too. Best of luck!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I confine eating time from 12 noon to 8 PM (no eating after 8PM and before 12 noon) and I use MFP to watch calorie intake during the time I eat.

What I like about it:
    * Results are undeniable
    * I feel like I'm improving my stamina and self control

I would like to read more about the benefits / associated techniques of doing this. Can anyone recommend a place where I can get additional evidence-based (not anecdotal stories) about IF?
  • bibliomage69
    bibliomage69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on Keto a few months and feel great but the scale has been slow. I started IF couple weeks ago. I try to stop eating at 6pm and break my fast about 12:30 the next day. I also started working out in the mornings and was told if I do a really heavy workout I should eat with in an hour of that work out. So, now I do the IF about 3-4 days a week and leave the other 2-3 days for good workout and clean keto meals.
  • bloveda1
    bloveda1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on it for the past 2 weeks, almost 3. So far so good, I have lost 6 pounds. But you have to make sure you stay in your calorie range, otherwise it's down the drain. The 1st week I was trying I ate almost about anything and everything. Without researching thoroughly I did 16:8, but not loosing anything at all, that was because I was taking more calories in within 8 hours than out. I also cut down sugar and fats a lot ( not the healthy ones though). Do some more research, you tube has some great ideas. Some suggestions make sense, some don't. You have to make sure you find the right one you. It was tough at first, but now I am on a roll :smiley: You just need to get in a habit of making YOUR schedule when to start eating and when to finish.
  • luxure
    luxure Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 fast diet yesterday actually, after spending a good 8-10 hours doing research, however on those two days I will probably do zero cals for a 24 hour period, instead of the 400 (I'm pretty small).

I'm really looking forward to getting this going. The weight loss aspect is on par with standard caloric deficit diets, but the added health benefits (especially with at-risk diabetes folks) are a huge bonus.
    iTim__ wrote: »
    I confine eating time from 12 noon to 8 PM (no eating after 8PM and before 12 noon) and I use MFP to watch calorie intake during the time I eat.

What I like about it:
    * Results are undeniable
    * I feel like I'm improving my stamina and self control

I would like to read more about the benefits / associated techniques of doing this. Can anyone recommend a place where I can get additional evidence-based (not anecdotal stories) about IF?

Have you tried looking on Google Scholar? https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,48&qsp=1&q=fasting+intermittent

I know some studies were just published on the year long research done over in the UK, but I've only read the media reports.

Visited physiqonomics?

• iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options

Have you tried looking on Google Scholar? https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,48&qsp=1&q=fasting+intermittent

I know some studies were just published on the year long research done over in the UK, but I've only read the media reports.

Visited physiqonomics?

I haven't really read anything on it. I'll check out Google Scholar. Never visited physiqonomics, but just googled it and it looks like a blog -- not really my thing.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • RuinedBruin
    RuinedBruin Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    By pure coincidence, this morning I half-listened to a podcast (it's lengthy) by Dr Rhonda Patrick where she answered questions from Tim Ferriss (and others).

Dr Rhonda Patrick is a biomedical scientist/expert in nutritional health and the podcast is packed with research information and results. Here's the link to that particular episode (via The Tim Ferriss Show): #237: Exploring Smart Drugs, Fasting, and Fat Loss -- Dr. Rhonda Patrick. There are two podcasts on the page - the first one is the one I listened to, and my inner geek loved the science :) , but I hope it doesn't put anyone off. (You can either stream it directly from that page, or via iTunes.)

She talks about time-restricted feeding, keto diets, low carb diets, glucose levels, diabetes, lowering inflammation, and other fun stuff.
    In this episode, Rhonda tackles some of your most requested topics, including:

Best practices for fasting (and who struggles most with time-restricted feedings)
    What blood tests are most important to analyze for overall health
    The “minimum effective dose” for the benefits of sauna
    Heat vs. cold exposure, and how they should be used effectively
    Most effective smart drugs
    The latest fat loss research
    And much, much more

Her website is: FoundMyFitness. I did a quick search for fasting on her site, and this is the result page, if that helps: Found My Fitness: Fasting

I don't know why, but something that particularly struck me was her explaining that you can't drink anything except water during fasting, and that even coffee resets the fast. I just found that an interesting nugget of information.

I hope the podcast and her website are helpful for you.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    By pure coincidence, this morning I half-listened to a podcast (it's lengthy) by Dr Rhonda Patrick where she answered questions from Tim Ferriss (and others).

Dr Rhonda Patrick is a biomedical scientist/expert in nutritional health and the podcast is packed with research information and results. Here's the link to that particular episode (via The Tim Ferriss Show): #237: Exploring Smart Drugs, Fasting, and Fat Loss -- Dr. Rhonda Patrick. There are two podcasts on the page - the first one is the one I listened to, and my inner geek loved the science :) , but I hope it doesn't put anyone off. (You can either stream it directly from that page, or via iTunes.)

She talks about time-restricted feeding, keto diets, low carb diets, glucose levels, diabetes, lowering inflammation, and other fun stuff.
    In this episode, Rhonda tackles some of your most requested topics, including:

Best practices for fasting (and who struggles most with time-restricted feedings)
    What blood tests are most important to analyze for overall health
    The “minimum effective dose” for the benefits of sauna
    Heat vs. cold exposure, and how they should be used effectively
    Most effective smart drugs
    The latest fat loss research
    And much, much more

Her website is: FoundMyFitness. I did a quick search for fasting on her site, and this is the result page, if that helps: Found My Fitness: Fasting

I don't know why, but something that particularly struck me was her explaining that you can't drink anything except water during fasting, and that even coffee resets the fast. I just found that an interesting nugget of information.

I hope the podcast and her website are helpful for you.

Black coffee does not break fast.
  • BizMa2
    BizMa2 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I tried it for a couple weeks, but I was still eating a standard American diet...so I got really lightheaded and weak. Been making small transitions in my diet to allow me to do this because I really want to! Super awesome benefits! :smile:
  • RuinedBruin
    RuinedBruin Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Black coffee does not break fast.
    It's not an area in which I have any knowledge - it was just something that she explained on the podcast.

• kiana_k_king
    kiana_k_king Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I'm just getting started on eating keto and decided that combining it with a 16:8 IF eating schedule is my plan. We'll see how it goes! I've heard so many good things and I personally can live without breakfast. I have read though that, it's super important to make sure you eat exactly to your keto diet within those 8 hours or you will see no results. Of course, I won't know mucb until I start this diet and see some results.

I will say I've done keto in the recent past and lost 22lbs in about 6 weeks. I workout 3 times and week and have kept it off. So I'd love to be accountable with you!
  • Borgeteien
    Borgeteien Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Tried it for 2-3 weeks, but i had to give it up because of terrible hunger pains and bad mood swings. I do much better now just counting calories, doing heavy compound weightlifting and some fasted HIIT. But i wish i could do intermittent fasting, i think it can make dieting both easier and more effective.
  • byoung8433
    byoung8433 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am doing 16:8 feel free to add me!!