A Bad Thing Happened To My Friend

Replies

• welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Some peole are d#cks and deserved to have their smug looks wiped off their face. The end.

Basically, this. My heart goes out to anyone who is publicly ridiculed like that.

Mine too. A person's weight should never affect the basic respect that they deserve to get in public. Those guys were either immature and insensitive, or they NEED to make fun of others to make themselves feel good. I also like the advice of telling them to be respectful (although I probably wouldn't be brave enough)
    Hang around me, I'll teach you to be that brave :happy:

Done! Warning: I'll just make you do it for me
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Once again the reason I hate people. Too bad they didn't give you the opportunity to confront they sound like they could use some education.
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Fat, This, Tall, Short, White, Black, Purple ... seriously it's nobody's business but your own. People can be mean, and that's the sad truth of the society we live in. Hope your friend is able to laugh it off soon, and I'm sorry it happened.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    People are *kitten*, and overweight people are easy targets. If he wasn't there, they would have found someone else to make miserable. How sad.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    I'm sorry, poor guy D: I wish people weren't buttshafts like that. That kind of crap really really gets to me. I really hope this isn't one of those things that stays with him.. :( I had a group of boys take pictures of me and laugh while I ate once in my first year of college in the cafeteria and once I caught on what they were doing I felt so uncomfortable and just wanted to go home. It gave me so many bad feels. Back then I used to cry from things like that, now it just pisses me off enough that I confront people.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    :mad: :angry:
    That stinks. Unfortunately there will always be boorish people who have nothing better to do with their time than make fun of others. There is no excuse for them and I am sorry your friend had to deal with that. He is blessed to have a friend like you who sees him for who he really is, not his size.
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Unfortunately we live in Ohio one of the meanest and cruelest states.. I'm sorry :-/

I can vouch for this, I am from Ohio also. Actually I was just mentioning to a co worker that a real d-bag that works out at my gym (that I have seen LOTS of times so I know for sure he is a jerk) and his gross friend were making fun of a rather plus sized girl that was about two treadmills down from me walking pretty slowly, albeit for about 40 minutes. I was rather proud of her...but these two were making horrible terrible awful comments that I could hear from across the room AND thru my headphones until a mom type on a stationary bike went postal and they left to play basketball instead.

My point is, whether it's a gym or a restaurant, no one should be publicly ridiculed.
  • KristiCastro27
    KristiCastro27 Posts: 31 Member
    I have seen this happening before and it is SO sad. Sometimes I wonder why it is that people have such an issue with "fat" people... but if you really think about it, people have an issue with anything that is "different" from themselves. Unless you have struggled with weight issues, you will never know that bad eating habits is a hard addiction to break. Even more difficult because it's not like drugs and alcohol, you can walk a way from in a sense, you have to eat to live. I cannot imagine saying something so terrible about someone to their face or even behind their backs. I've never been morbidly obese (although I have a good deal of weight to lose) but why are we disgusted with what someone [fat person] else is eating? If it was a skinny person eating like that would we have the same response?

So sorry for all the sorry people in this world.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    One of my closest friends is obese. He gets awful looks when we go out to eat.
    So what do I do? I end up saying things like,Take a picture it'll last longer.
    Or what are you looking at?
    It's bad I know. He's just such a nice,lovely person and I know his weight is caused by medications he HAS to take. So the ignorant tools that judge him,really p**** me off.

I have a temper.i hate people I love being picked on. I honestly think some people are just plain evil.

No need to belittle someone.it shows their lack of character.
    Typing this is making me angry. I have no words. Sorry this happened to your friend. It is a good thing to have a friend like you :)
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    I know how it feels. Not long back someone I know came up to me on the street, thru their arms put wide and said : I have to tell you about my life style, YOU HAVE to do this and YOU will lose heaps of WEIGHT. two days aweek only eat 500 calories and you WILL lose heaps," and when I said I was not allowed to do that, she said, "YES YOU CAN!!!" To which I had to say, "well no because being a diabetic, i have to eat 6 meals a day (which I can't) if I eat only 500 cals I would have Hypos." Well she would not understand at all and I just left it at that. But it really hurts when people treat you like that so I know how he felt.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Years ago, when I was thin, there was a fellow student in technical college who told me that fat people made him sick. He said they were so gross and ugly, yet they wouldn't do anything about it. He thought they deserved any ridicule people inflicted on them. I told him I thought he was insensitive and judgmental. I had no idea, 10 years later, I would injure my back, no longer be able to exercise, and become one of the people this guy hated. Unfortunately, he isn't alone. Before my back injury I got mostly positive attention because I was tall, slender, and (according to most of my friends), very pretty. It's like night and day. Now the general public treats me just like that other student expressed. I think most people DO think fat people are icky and don't deserve to be treated fairly or with kindness. JMO

Example: For a while a few years back, I had to use one of those electric, riding grocery carts to do my shopping. Two guys were approaching me from behind and I pulled aside to let them pass. One of them stopped right next to me and said "I think I have to fart." He stopped, bent over and pulled his butt cheek aside and farted right in my face. I went (crying and embarrassed) and told the manager, but we couldn't find the guys. I still get teary when I recall the humiliation of it. These days, a lot of people think they are entitled to do or say anything without restraint.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member

Example: For a while a few years back, I had to use one of those electric, riding grocery carts to do my shopping. Two guys were approaching me from behind and I pulled aside to let them pass. One of them stopped right next to me and said "I think I have to fart." He stopped, bent over and pulled his butt cheek aside and farted right in my face. I went (crying and embarrassed) and told the manager, but we couldn't find the guys. I still get teary when I recall the humiliation of it. These days, a lot of people think they are entitled to do or say anything without restraint.

I am so sorry this happened to you.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    I know how it feels. Not long back someone I know came up to me on the street, thru their arms put wide and said : I have to tell you about my life style, YOU HAVE to do this and YOU will lose heaps of WEIGHT. two days aweek only eat 500 calories and you WILL lose heaps," and when I said I was not allowed to do that, she said, "YES YOU CAN!!!" To which I had to say, "well no because being a diabetic, i have to eat 6 meals a day (which I can't) if I eat only 500 cals I would have Hypos." Well she would not understand at all and I just left it at that. But it really hurts when people treat you like that so I know how he felt.

People are so stupid. Sorry you had to run into one of those people who thinks they know how to run everyone else's lives.

I'm like RoseDarrett; I need to get out of here I am getting so pissed.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    I feel bad for your friend, but why would all of you be so complacent in that situation. Maybe I'm different, but I definitely would have said something to the people. What they did was wrong and by not standing up you all looked like cowards and did nothing to halt the behavior in the future.
  • lmbs1966
    lmbs1966 Posts: 57 Member
    Unfortunately there are lots of ignorant people in our world who have nothing better to do but degrade others, You find people like that in every state, trust me, We have some very shallow judgmental people out there. I have always told my kids, that there will always be someone taller than you, shorter than you, smarter than you, dumber than you, pretty than you and uglier than you, fatter than you and skinnier than you, but you are unique and that is what makes you, the you I love. Obviously you love your friend, and feel upset about what they did to him, and I feel sorry that you all had to deal with these idiots, but forgive them and their ignorance and move on with a happy life.:smile:
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    i DO THINK it is disgusting when obese people load their numerous plates at a buffet.

I take offense to this remark! You think it's DISGUSTING when OBESE people load their plates? Not people in general. Just OBESE people. If you saw a "normal" weight person filling up numerous plates that wouldn't disgust you.
    Everyone on MFP is here to get healthy. Whether they are trying to gain weight, lose 10 lbs, over 100, or somewhere in between. Your statement that they disgust you shows that you have no sympathy for the morbidly obese. Give yourself a big pat on the back for not saying anything out loud to these people. You are a hater just like those people who made fun of this young man.
  • I love when people act surprised when this kind of thing happens, because, as a fat person, this happens to me ALL. THE TIME.

People are, by and large, awful. That's pretty much all there is to it.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    I am sorry that happened and while I would NEVER do it and be disrepsectful like that in public i DO THINK it is disgusting when obese people load their numerous plates at a buffet. I can only think of what they are doing to their health and how their loved ones will miss them when they are gone.

People dont gross me out but unhealthy habits do.

But what happened to your friend was hurtful and wrong. I am sorry!

Are you serious? It disgusts you when people fill up at a buffet? First of all, it's a buffet. Second of all, just obese people? Really?

You can't make assumptions about anyone's health based on a trip to a restaurant and the 30 or so minutes that you might be there with them. That's nonsense. It's also not your business to feel bad for them or care what they choose to do. Does judging them and feeling disgusted by them give you a hearty sense of self-worth? Superiority?
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    I feel bad for your friend, but why would all of you be so complacent in that situation. Maybe I'm different, but I definitely would have said something to the people. What they did was wrong and by not standing up you all looked like cowards and did nothing to halt the behavior in the future.

The only reason I did not confront them is because nothing happened while I was with him. If anything had been said while I was there, I know that I would have gladly crossed the room and asked politely wtf their problem was. Maybe I should have done that anyways but it seems kind of odd to do it without witnessing it. Also, my husband and his friend would have joined me.

I cannot believe that someone would be so disgusting! How are you the gross one when THEY just did that to another person? That is the worst thing I have heard in forever, that just makes me furious! What the heck is wrong with people!!!

As far as your classmate, when I was in 6th grade I had this friend. No one liked him, he was kind of eccentric. I made friends with him because that's who I am, a friend to everyone. He and I would always work on projects and classwork together, because he had no one else. (When I tried not to work with him because he was working my nerves my teacher pulled me aside and told me she was counting on me to work with him because she couldn't get anyone else to so I had to. Blarg.) Anyways. We had our desks facing each other and we were doing our classwork and he turns away from staring at his love interest (this really thin girl who was disgusted by him) to tell me that if I weren't so fat he'd date me. Like... yeah, because I don't have a choice against his charms.

This is the same kid that when talking about evacuation of the planet in our mock U.N. meeting he decided that you had to meet a weight requirement to get on the space ships. I was more than a little annoyed that he was leaving me on Earth to die. -.- Jerk wad.

Now I look back at it and laugh. It was just annoying then.